Proposal: Leafs Defense

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Well it's obvious the leafs need to fix there backend. I like gardine(he's a 3 but can be traded), rielly(top pair), and zaitsev(top pair potential). Besides them everyone else has been bad to terrible. Here are a couple of options to fix the backhand.

Trade 1. To Toronto: Olli Maata

To Pittsburgh: JVR

Trade 2. To Toronto: Jacob Trouba

To Winnipeg: Jake Gardiner, plus leafs 2017 2nd, plus sharks 2017 2nd

Trade 3. To Toronto: Brett Pesce and 2017/2018 2nd

To Carolina: JVR

Trade 4: To Toronto: Cam fowler, clayton stoner, sens 2017 2nd(most likely theres) and ducks 2017 3rd round pick

To ducks: JVR

What do you guys think? Fair deals or not

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I think pens need to keep all the d they have. 2nd trade is reasonable, favours jets a bit(leafs should have a high 2nd). Not sure if carolina pulls the trigger but i dont think pesce holds that much value... YET. 4th deal is pretty fair maybe Ana adds a bit, going by what cap dumps have been going by lately, teams usually add a pretty penny to get rid of dumps (see bolland).

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
Make it Vatanen instead of Fowler and I'd do it. That would give you a ready made pair of Stoner-Vatanen that has proven to play well together.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
I do have a feeling that Toronto will take on Stoner after the Jared Cowen mess is sorted out.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
(I'm a TOR and PIT fan)

Pens are contending and IMO keeping our top 4 strong is more important than adding a 1st line winger. Just my opinion but it's not even close.

Pens could maybe look at trading Maatta for Trouba but not for a winger. Hypothetically though, this could be an interesting idea if Pouliot-Daley starts clicking as a very legit 2nd pair at some point, and Pouliot can consistently perform as a 2nd pairing guy night in night out.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Well it's obvious the leafs need to fix there backend. I like gardine(he's a 3 but can be traded), rielly(top pair), and zaitsev(top pair potential). Besides them everyone else has been bad to terrible. Here are a couple of options to fix the backhand.

Trade 4: To Toronto: Cam fowler, clayton stoner, sens 2017 2nd(most likely theres) and ducks 2017 3rd round pick

Trouba > Fowler > Pesce > Maatta

The only player that seriously upgrades the Leafs is Trouba. Any of them might someday, but I'm guessing you are hoping on making the team better sooner?

In terms of team need the Pesce deal looks best for the Leafs.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
ughh it depends on the night, i wouldn't say he's for sure better, they both have had their fair share of defensive gaffs.

Through 5 games, I can only remember a couple occasions where Zaitsev didn't make the play.

Gardiner has been a tire fire on most nights.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Jets dont want gardiner. He is a top 4 d-man according to Leafs fans, but he cant play top 4 min cuz he he does to many brainfarts... No tnx. Morrissey is better....

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Through 5 games, I can only remember a couple occasions where Zaitsev didn't make the play.

Gardiner has been a tire fire on most nights.

Jakes mistakes just pop out more, Zaitsev misses quite a few assignments from what i noticed. Also Jake has 2 giveaways and Zaitsev 6 for the season. Jake has also been more impressive on the offensive zone. Gards has looked more shaky in his own zone but i expect him to return to normal.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
How many Leaf fans have actually seen Trouba play more than handful of games. He isn't that much better than Gardiner. Let's stop this really stupid talk about the Trouba coming to the Leafs. A OK to good RFA just coming his ELC and demanding a trade isn't welcome by Lou and the Leafs and by almost all other GMs.
Leafs are starting 6 rookies this year...including two on defence. What's with panic mode that their all bad. Carrick is a 4th year pro, and Zaitsev is a 7 year KHL pro. Give them a little time to mess instead of trading. And does anyone really believe Stoner who went unclaimed on waivers or Fowler who is a UFA in two years are really options for the Leafs.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Make it Vatanen instead of Fowler and I'd do it. That would give you a ready made pair of Stoner-Vatanen that has proven to play well together.

Fowler is UFA after next season we shouldn't be traded Vatanen over him. Imagine Fowler wants to test free agency and we have no Fowler and no Vatanen after next season :scared:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Jets dont want gardiner. He is a top 4 d-man according to Leafs fans, but he cant play top 4 min cuz he he does to many brainfarts... No tnx. Morrissey is better....

Oh god please stop.

When Leafs fans over value Leafs players, it's annoying. But this, this is just dumb. Stop.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Oh god please stop.

When Leafs fans over value Leafs players, it's annoying. But this, this is just dumb. Stop.

What, I ust read what multiple people wrote about Gardiner. He is just doing misstake after misstake atm, so no smoke without fire....

Stormcrow

Jul 5, 2010
I think that all the Leaf fans have to realize that they are not going to get another Dman this season. They are going to play the kids they have and let the pieces fall where they may.
They are not in a rush to contend and are not even close.
I would worry about their goaltending first lol.

Timothy Liljegren should be your new hype.

Last edited:

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
Problem with trading JVR is that the leafs LW depth sucks without him.

Problem with trading Gardiner is that the leafs LD depth sucks without him.

I think, right now, the only option is to take Clayton Stoner and a pick/prospect and have him replace Hunwick.

HabsMtl

Jun 5, 2013
Quebec

The Habs would offer Emelin + Picks for JVR

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
What, I ust read what multiple people wrote about Gardiner. He is just doing misstake after misstake atm, so no smoke without fire....

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Difference between Gardiner and Trouba right now definitely isn't 2 2nd round picks though, not cool about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad