Post-Game Talk: Leafs Blowout Kings 6-2

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Is Tampa still a real contender.

I'm not even convinced the Rangers are despite the fact I picked them to win the cup. I'm just sick of seeing the Leafs beating up on the punching bags of the league. Time for a real test to see exactly what we got here if you know what I mean.

Reaves is redundant now that they have some muscle that can pound heads and score goals.
It has been like 4 games, and the Leafs don't make the schedule. Here is the schedule so you can see how long it will be till the Leafs play a team that you think is a contender: Toronto Maple Leafs Schedule | Toronto Maple Leafs

Reactions: blue stick

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Berube has done well so far but I feel like people are just making up what Keefe did/didn’t do. Using a timeout early after the opposing team looked like they were getting back into a blowout game was like one of Keefe’s “things” for years…

And you can’t call a timeout after icing.
Keefe would have called that timeout at 5-4......too late cause the pressure would be too great to turn things around.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Stolarz is legit, I think. The only question is how many games can he play? Since the Leafs wanna be playing well into June.
I thought I heard on the broadcast that If Stolarz starts the game against the Rangers, it'll be the first time he has started 4 games in a row. That's crazy for a goalie who is pretty good. Either he's been pigeon-holed into being a backup, or he just hasn't been given the chance.

Reactions: Menzinger

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think he sticks, not on merit necessarily but Timmins has issues too. That said, Berube put him with OEL early in the second, he clearly didn’t like what he was seeing. Benoit played 7 minutes more, and they started together as a pair. Lil also saw some PK time, which means, even in a blowout game, Berube had little 5 v 5 confidence in him. I thought he was awful to start, passable later, but he looked weak and slow to process. I look at how McMann came out with something to prove, Lil was so blah. I have no confidence this guy should be part of any contending 6 defence, he is what he is, he hasn’t developed in years, it’s the same story. Try to “showcase” him, then move on.

They did a shot scanning the bench after the dress down, the bench looked stunned. Loved it! Keefe just turned red and yelled up and down the bench, everyone tuning him out. Berube has gravitas, and he’s a scary mf. They listened!
I'd bet secretly Berube is glad for that little let down they had so he could have that moment.
IMO, it's a good thing when the Coach is the toughest guy on the team. Brings lots of memories of Quinn and Burns.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Completely forgot that rule changed, that would explain it! Thanks!

But bottom line, regardless of the timeout, this coaching staff has them playing a much more structured game.

The PP is looking better too, not just because of the goals, but because they are moving the puck and getting it into the middle.
Great point. The coaches recognized that all that perimeter passing in the past has lead to teams cheating towards the outside, leaving the middle open. Good adjustment by the team.

It also helps that with OEL at the point, there is the threat of a great shot. Also, he moves the puck alot quicker than Rielly. Now, we have to incorporate OEL's blast from the point.

Reactions: Roo

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Haven’t played a bad game yet.

Robertson is noticeable almost every shift . And is hustling all over the ice.
Sadly I believe he is the next guy to sit if he puts Patches back in.

He hasn't looked horrible, but he hasn't produced at all.

McMann is not coming out again. Reaves will likely play against NY because of Kempe.

Reactions: ACC1224

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I thought I heard on the broadcast that If Stolarz starts the game against the Rangers, it'll be the first time he has started 4 games in a row. That's crazy for a goalie who is pretty good. Either he's been pigeon-holed into being a backup, or he just hasn't been given the chance.
So has Woll lost the starting goaltender?

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
So has Woll lost the starting goaltender?
I think he will get a chance to wrestle the job away, but he is going to have to be pretty damn good.

If he can stay healthy I believe they both end up playing around 40 games each.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
There's a structure to this team, specifically defensively that hasn't existed during the entire Matthews/Marner era.

Also, there's a clear buy-in to Berube's North/South style and getting to net.

At least the team feels differently. Funny when a GM comes in and actually has a plan to structure his team.

OEL looks like a steal right now.

Lilly and Kampf don't fit this team anymore and luckily there are replacements.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
It's only been 4 regular season games and a handful of preseason games, but I have to say I absolutely love what I am seeing from our bench boss. He just seems like the exact leader this team has needed for so long. Everything he says to the media is firm but fair. He doesn't sugar coat anything. He's not afraid to call things as they are, both good and bad. It is such a breath of fresh air.

Him laying into Holmberg after that lazy play that lead to the 5-2 goal was something that would have never happened under Keefe. The team instantly responded.

Of course, too much of that tone will cause an adverse effect, but it really feels like he has the demeanor to find an appropriate balance.

When asked why Patches was scratched, he didn't give some diplomatic bullshit answer about this or that, he calmly responds with "I made a coaching decision"

Still a long long way to go, but I am loving Craig Berube so far. From a tactical and emotional sense he just seems like the perfect guy for the job.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Classic case of stats being misleading
lol, okay. I guess they actually played great while he was on the ice but just coincidentally failed to take more than 2 shots in 12 minutes, and that I imagined him looking sluggish and also taking a stupid penalty that apparently wasn't "noticeable".

Hopefully there's at least one other GM out there who believes that.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Fun game! Nice to see Matthews get on the board and Stolarz was incredible. I think Woll's lost the starting job tbh.

Also I'm loving the game of OEL and Lorentz. Perfect little additions of physicality and grit this team needed badly.

I think it’s a good tandem when Woll is healthy. No way Stolarz starts 50 games for you. Woll will get in there eventually and play a decent amount. It should be a good battle to see who starts the playoffs.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Bérubé reamed out Holmberg pretty good from the bench during that timeout following the second goal .. Pontus had a weak turnover at the blue line

He may be taking a seat next game for that one

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Bérubé reamed out Holmberg pretty good from the bench during that timeout following the second goal .. Pontus had a weak turnover at the blue line

He may be taking a seat next game for that one

I don't like him and Robertson together anyway, two small players that get pushed around too much. Not their fault but come playoff time the Leafs can't have that. Maybe one, but not both.

Between now and the trade deadline the shopping list should include a big body with at least some offensive skill to push one of those two down to the 4th.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
"Defense wins Championships"

The early results of the coaching change from Keefe to Berube and from Samsonov to Stolarz has been very promising towards being better come the playoffs.

After 4 games last year Leaf were 2-2-0 including a OT win and surrendering 16 goals against in 4 games = 4.0 GA/g Average.

When you average 4 goals against per game you need to score 5 goals for on average to win games

1729174493361.png

Under Berube the results are 3-1-0 including a 1-0 loss and have surrendered 7 goals against after 5 games = 1.75 GA/g average..

When you surrender < 2 goals against per game you only need 2 goals for on average to come away with a Win.

1729174773093.png

weems

Jul 3, 2008
It's only been 4 regular season games and a handful of preseason games, but I have to say I absolutely love what I am seeing from our bench boss. He just seems like the exact leader this team has needed for so long. Everything he says to the media is firm but fair. He doesn't sugar coat anything. He's not afraid to call things as they are, both good and bad. It is such a breath of fresh air.

Him laying into Holmberg after that lazy play that lead to the 5-2 goal was something that would have never happened under Keefe. The team instantly responded.

Of course, too much of that tone will cause an adverse effect, but it really feels like he has the demeanor to find an appropriate balance.

When asked why Patches was scratched, he didn't give some diplomatic bullshit answer about this or that, he calmly responds with "I made a coaching decision"

Still a long long way to go, but I am loving Craig Berube so far. From a tactical and emotional sense he just seems like the perfect guy for the job.

Like you said it's only 4 games, so the sample is way too small to really make any conclusions but the directness and power we're playing with is far greater than before. Way less messing around with the puck in the neutral zone, way less curling back and holding possession at all costs. Just fast north-south, get pucks in deep, forecheck and wear the opposing teams defence down and get pucks to the net. I think this playstyle is far more sustainable to winning in the playoffs and it's one where if you can master, teams hate having to deal with this type of opponent.

We haven't played any of NYR, BOS, DAL, EDM, TB, CAR yet, so we will have to prove we can play this way against the leagues elite and consistently.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad