Post-Game Talk: Leafs Blowout Kings 6-2

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
His first game and was better than the other guy.
On Timothy Liljegren’s season debut:

He was fine. He was out there killing penalties. He got, what, 14 minutes at five-on-five? I don’t know what it was, but he was pretty solid.
Berube liked his game and thats what matters. Baby steps for someone who is clearly lacking confidence. Couple times he got skipped shifts but more so just protecting him.
The 14 mins is interesting though. He actually only played just under 12 mins 5 on 5. I think Craig was mistaken there. He played just under 14 mins total, but would be near 15 if not for the penalty

Reactions: Zacman

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Good win, always seems a bit quiet in the Post-Game Talk after a Leaf win.
Hard to prolong discussions in a blowout win.
For example:

Poster 1: Great Game by player X Y and Z

Poster 2: agree but player A B and C were good too.

Poster 1: yep, hope they do that again next game.

Where when there is a loss, it will constantly be back and forth about who played bad, made a bad play, then some will come in and defend said players and says so and so were horrible too…..

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
I really like the physical punishing capabilities of the current D. McCabe, Benoit and Tanev look like they're hitting everything in sight, seems every shift out there one of those guys is asserting themselves physically.
OEL seems to be chipping in on this as well seem he brought that over with him from Florida

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Got to say if there is an anchor being(from MCU) on the Leafs, it got to be Domi.

He plays well with any of the big four.

I don’t recognize the fake division from a fake season.
I tried to block that season out too but need to be fair as if the Leafs won the Cup that season, we won’t be saying it didn’t happened

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Hard to prolong discussions in a blowout win.
For example:

Poster 1: Great Game by player X Y and Z

Poster 2: agree but player A B and C were good too.

Poster 1: yep, hope they do that again next game.

Where when there is a loss, it will constantly be back and forth about who played bad, made a bad play, then some will come in and defend said players and says so and so were horrible too…..
I guess we could dissect all 6 of our goals…….or enjoy the win like good fans.
Reading a few poster in here right now just looks like the are looking for confrontation. They seem genuinely disappointed that most leaf fans are pleased with the game and the effort the team is putting out

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I guess we could dissect all 6 of our goals…….or enjoy the win like good fans.
Reading a few poster in here right now just looks like the are looking for confrontation. They seem genuinely disappointed that most leaf fans are pleased with the game and the effort the team is putting out
Agree, people tend to want to win confrontation than having a rational discussion

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Obviously a good win by the team. I don't worry about the shot discrepancy, we let up a little on both goals. Disconcerting has been the play of Holmgren, he was directly responsible for the second goal. Fourth line and third line on each for both goals, not impressed by either of their performances. Stolarz was terrific again, not allowing that goal in the second period when they were being dominated. I honestly feel that's the biggest difference between this and last year's team. Samsonov would not have kept us in this game, particularly the way he started last season.

Reactions: ThrowDemTongs

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
This feels like a much more orderly club, and in that sense of order, pieces that correctly supply the need at the right depth.

Doesn’t feel as stretched, nor as make-do as in recent years.

Repeating myself, but really like what management has done.

Stolarz, OEL, Tanev and Lorentz have brought real role weight with them.

A few more moves or developments from within the system and we will be in very good shape.

And speaking of order, having Chief back there feels like having Dad back (a very Burns/Quinn vibe) with funny Uncle Larry (I.e. Keefe) having gone back home.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Shots against were kind of scoring effect and the Leafs habit of sitting back kicking in.

Overall a nice win with some positives like taking it to them early, the PP and PK going, Stolie being steady, and the big guns getting into a groove.

Obviously giving LA momentum in the second half was the gap but that’s a work in progress with this group and I liked Berube’s approach, especially with the timeout

McMann is getting back into what we saw last year and providing some great play. Lines looked better.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Matthews-Marner are starting to get going a little bit.

Domi-Nylander are magic together and McMann complimented them well with the 2 goals. Although I will say, I wouldn't want Domi playing center in the playoffs.

I thought that Tavares and Robertson were brutal together. No chemistry, looked out of sorts. Just a bad line right now.

Defence, coaching and goaltending has been great.

Reactions: ACC1224

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Teams can’t and won’t dominate 60 mins of hockey. I like that we are playing decent, but also that enough is going wrong for the coaches to teach and work on their expectations.

A little adversity is good. Teams have to go through hard times together.

Robertson was my only negative tonight.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Glad the PP got going, but the PK is something that elite teams need. Plenty of teams with great PP that never did shit but most winning teams have an at least good PK.

They came out big in the first two and most of the last ten, great win, good for the big guys and McMann, OEL, Stolarz and McCabe.

Start of the season or not 3 ROW in their first four is great, didn't they have 5 in their first 20ish last year? I really like the simple yet effective play I've seen so far.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Like the looks of the top six. Need to figure out who plays with Tavares on the 3rd line. Didn't like Holmberg and Robertson's games tonight. Not sure if Pacioretty goes in for one of them on Saturday or if he'd be an improvement.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It's disgusting that we kept Keefe as long as we did and didn't try changing the coaching sooner. There's already some pretty substantial changes and things the team is doing now that I didn't see during the Keefe era, and they're only scratching the surface. Cautious optimism is back on the menu

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Like the looks of the top six. Need to figure out who plays with Tavares on the 3rd line. Didn't like Holmberg and Robertson's games tonight. Not sure if Pacioretty goes in for one of them on Saturday or if he'd be an improvement.
Patches and Tavares should play together IMO. They looked good in preseason on a line and their games are complementary to one another

Reactions: Budz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad