Post-Game Talk: Leafs Blowout Kings 6-2

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Good win!

PP got on track, but it is still wobbly. Those zone entries are ugly as fck!

PK is engaged; combo of timely saves and consistent clears.

I would not be surprised if Robertson sits on Saturday, he was terrible start to finish. That whole line was terrible ineffective 5-on-5.

The D group played well again as a unit. Timmy, Timmins, it's more or less the same. They look different but do more or less the same thing. I prefer the cheaper guy if they are in fact the same. Stolarz was sharp/solid/stingy/sticky/smoooth! Liked lines 1, 2 and 4. McMann stood out as having a real solid game, as did Knies. Nice to see our MVP snipe one.

Big test on Saturday. Will be very interested to see the lineup decisions from (I would bet a not very happy) coach.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Lots of good tonight (covered well by others in this thread), also some issues. Third line had a really rough game imo.

Reactions: wingman75

Blanka

Mar 27, 2013
embarrassing.gif

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I know goaltending has been amazing but God damn is this team good defensively and deep too.

This is the best team in the Matthews era and it’s not close in my opinion. Yeah it's early and I don't care.
It’s ok to like your favourite team :thumbu:

Reactions: WillNy29 and banks

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Good win all though not pretty after the 2nd, but that could be score effects so not a big deal. Decent game by Lilly. Pretty unnoticable which is a good start

What I liked:
Stolarz
Ekman Larsson
Marner on the PK
Ekman Larsson again
Calm hockey in the 3rd after goals against
McMann
Points for the big 4

What I didn't like:
Liljegren
Kampf
Lilly was fine. Uneventful

Reactions: ULF_55 and ToMaLe

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Pretty terrible 3rd period but other than that, they played really well most of the game. No huge defensive odd man rushes and they scored on most of their top chances.
Letting teams back into games, a Leafs tradition since 2016. Berube was fuming on the bench, probably almost as much as I was. Needless turnovers between the bluelines. That is loser hockey. He has lots to work on with this group yet, glad to see he is calling them out on it!

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Not our best game, but Stolarz was good, our defensive posture didn’t let us give up too much quality chances, and our talent came through.

Feels good.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Happy with a lot of what they did. Although at times they sat back and started letting some better chances. They still kept quite a bit to the outside. Kings tried a lot of jam plays. Stolarz looked good again. So far he hasn't let in any really bad stinkers. It's bound to happen at times but all in all ... happy to have options in net and feel comfortable with it.

The big boys showed up tonight too.

Great time out by Berube to tell them where to go.

Nice test on Saturday against the Rangers... with a busy week afterwards.

Go Leafs Go

Reactions: Roo

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Was actually just thinking, I liked his effort tonight. He was battling and make some tough plays in our zone to either kill an offensive chance or start a clear. He looked pooped at the end of this one.
Played more than McCabe which surprised me.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Domi
McMann
McCabe
OEL

all had 2+ points tonight, and I think I'm missing somebody too

Everything I wanted to see tonight I got.

Balanced scoring? Check

PP Breakthrough? Check

Matthews breakthrough? Check

PK has a perfect night? Check

I'm sure Berube will want to clean up that 3rd period a little bit but overall another solid effort

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Played more than McCabe which surprised me.
Could have been the coaches testing him, or that was just how the matchups went.

Speaking of, does Berube match lines? For the past 5 years all I hear is fckng Keefe and his line matching bullshit where our team was ALWAYS reacting to the other team (or so it seemed). Put it on the list of things I do not miss...

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Could have been the coaches testing him, or that was just how the matchups went.

Speaking of, does Berube match lines? For the past 5 years all I hear is fckng Keefe and his line matching bullshit where our team was ALWAYS reacting to the other team (or so it seemed). Put it on the list of things I do not miss...
Haven'tt noticed that. He did breakup Benoit Lil mid game, then just mixed and matched.

Reactions: wingman75

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Really like the McMann-Domi-Willie, just a very fact and quick line. Good to also see they are plus 3 too, hope this line keeps it up.
AM-Knies-MM did well too.

Good to see PP is heading the right direction, need to be more direct and it will even be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad