Leafs at the Four Nations Cup

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Saw a video the other day saying that Tavares is listed as a 66% chance to make Team Canada and got me thinking what other Leafs may be there, other than the obvious Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

Do either Tavares and Rielly make it? Anyone else? Any line projections? Anyone not looking forward to the tournament?

Last edited:

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
OEL could be a depth option on Sweden's D. Liljegren would have to take a big step up this year to crack the roster.

Hakanpaa would have to be healthy obviously and playing well to crack Finland.

Matthews (lock)
Marner (lock)
Nylander (lock)
Rielly (50%)
Tavares (50%)
OEL (50%)
Liljegren (10%)
Hakanpaa (10%)

When projecting and forecasting I only use 10/50/90 (0 and 100 obviously too, but those are locks one way or the other). I can explain this logic if anyone cares.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
OEL could be a depth option on Sweden's D. Liljegren would have to take a big step up this year to crack the roster.

Hakanpaa would have to be healthy obviously and playing well to crack Finland.

Matthews (lock)
Marner (lock)
Nylander (lock)
Rielly (50%)
Tavares (50%)
OEL (50%)
Liljegren (10%)
Hakanpaa (10%)

When projecting and forecasting I only use 10/50/90 (0 and 100 obviously too, but those are locks one way or the other). I can explain this logic if anyone cares.
Seems fair.

Who do you see Matthews, Marner and Nylander playing with?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Seems fair.

Seems fair.

Great question.

All will have lots of options and it will be more about line configuration and strategy, maybe even matchups.

It would be fun to see our big guns in different settings.and if they bring anything different.

I would like to see Matthew in similar deployment to what we use here. With a pick retriever/banger (Knies) and a playmaker (Domi/Marner). Maybe Tkachuk and Hughes.

Marner needs time with the puck, so I don't love him with McDavid. Although I like him with Hyman, so maybe McDavid, Hyman and Marner?

As for Willy, I want him to be "the man" for Sweden. A top lin built around him, profiled on the PP. Let's see him raise his game to another level and come back for a playoff push.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Seems fair.

Great question.

All will have lots of options and it will be more about line configuration and strategy, maybe even matchups.

It would be fun to see our big guns in different settings.and if they bring anything different.

I would like to see Matthew in similar deployment to what we use here. With a pick retriever/banger (Knies) and a playmaker (Domi/Marner). Maybe Tkachuk and Hughes.

Marner needs time with the puck, so I don't love him with McDavid. Although I like him with Hyman, so maybe McDavid, Hyman and Marner?

As for Willy, I want him to be "the man" for Sweden. A top lin built around him, profiled on the PP. Let's see him raise his game to another level and come back for a playoff push.
Good thoughts on Matthews was thinking pretty much the same.
I think with Canada whether Crosby plays Center or wing will have a huge impact. If he is a winger then I agree Marner is a natural fit with Hyman and McDavid. If Crosby plays Center then I could see Marner playing with him as a pseudo shutdown line or with Mackinnon since they’re pretty good friends.

Depending on injuries I could see Tavares going as a spare forward, same with Rielly.

Should be interesting

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Love to see Joey Woll play himself onto Team USA.
yeah, that's a tall order that I don't see happening. I am a big Woll fan too. He would have to make it ahead of all but two of these guys I guess...

Demko
Hellebuyck
Swayman
Oettinger
Gibson
Daccord
Lindgren

I do think he can get there, possibly even by the Olympics but not this year for the Four Nations Cup.

Knies too. He can get there but needs a body of work greater than rookie season + half of sophomore.

He would have to dislodge fix or six of these guys...

Matthews
M.Tkachuk
B. Tkachuk
Hughes
Miller
Eichel
J. Robertson
Guentzel
Trochek
Keller
Kreider
Kane
Boeser
Larkin
DeBrincat
Gaudreau
Caulfield
Connor
Schmaltz
Thompson

Yikes. Their D is great too.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
yeah, that's a tall order that I don't see happening. I am a big Woll fan too. He would have to make it ahead of all but two of these guys I guess...

Demko
Hellebuyck
Swayman
Oettinger
Gibson
Daccord
Lindgren

I do think he can get there, possibly even by the Olympics but not this year for the Four Nations Cup.

Knies too. He can get there but needs a body of work greater than rookie season + half of sophomore.

He would have to dislodge fix or six of these guys...

Matthews
M.Tkachuk
B. Tkachuk
Hughes
Miller
Eichel
J. Robertson
Guentzel
Trochek
Keller
Kreider
Kane
Boeser
Larkin
DeBrincat
Gaudreau
Caulfield
Connor
Schmaltz
Thompson

Yikes. Their D is great too.
Not sure I follow. Why would Knies need to ‘dislodge five or six’?

US does have a great team, should be a great tournament.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Not sure I follow. Why would Knies need to ‘dislodge five or six’?

US does have a great team, should be a great tournament.
Because I listed 21 forwards that are probably above him on a US depth chart. I am guessing they take 14 or 15 F on a roster, possibly less. So he would have to leap frog five or six guys to be in the top 14 or 15 F conversation. Sorry, if my original wording was not clear.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Because I listed 21 forwards that are probably above him on a US depth chart. I am guessing they take 14 or 15 F on a roster, possibly less. So he would have to leap frog five or six guys to be in the top 14 or 15 F conversation. Sorry, if my original wording was not clear.
No worries, I didn't count how many were there. Makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad