Post-Game Talk: Leafs are horrendous, lose 6-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A game like this was inevitably going to happen as Leafs continue to play with fire and defy the Corsi time of possession and shot clock.

Goaltending simply can't save your bacon every game.

Hopefully it was also a wake up call for the Leafs skaters to play harder and smarter and attempt to do their jobs better to help impact the game.

In the first 5 games of November the Leafs managed 5 goals and in the past 3 games they've managed just 3 goals. So if your offense is averaging 1 goal per game while getting outplayed and outshot regularly you can't expect the goalie to do all the rest.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Here's something I asked myself all night, maybe I missed it on a beer trip but, what the **** were the two goons they keep dressing doing this season? When was the last fight they've been in, and was there one last night?

What good are Orr and McLaren if they don't fight in a 6-0 loss? They can't play hockey at an NHL level, they're there to set a tone.... if they're not doing that, get them off the ****ing ice and dress an NHL calibre bottom liner like Holland, Ashton, Smith, Broll, etc,. ****ing ridiculous Carlyle and his god damn man crush on these two useless goons

Orr and McLaren are useless just like any other enforcer that can't take even a semi regular shift without hurting you on the ice . RC keeps dressing them because this is a soft team and he's hoping these two slugs give the rest a backbone , it isn't working however and it's time to send one down to the farm and promote someone who at least may be able to add something to the lineup .

Penalty Kill Icing*

Maybe, this is what they really are (not referring to last night game only, but season in general).

Good goaltending, declining special teams, getting outshot and getting out-competed.

Maybe, there is no waking up. They are already woken up and this is the best they can do?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
This game is still making me sick to my stomach at lunch today.

This is the worst game I've seen them play in a long, long time. Way worse than any of those Boston blowouts. We just got massacred by one of the worst teams in the league, with all their best players missing. Absolutely embarassing and soulcrushing.

Reimer was pathetic and the rest of the team no better. The only players who weren't completely pathetic were Dion and Gunnar.

This better be a one-off, or else we're in trouble.

You're taking this loss too hard , if the players don't give a crap why should you let it ruin your day .

This also isn't a one off type of game . So far this season every time one our goalies haven't stood on there heads the teams been blown out . If our goalies had only been avg this year the team would be among the dregs of the league .

The D only has 2 guys that can play in the top 4 5 on 5 with the rest all being bottom pair guys at this point . Our C's even when healthy are a mediocre group and our forwards in general are soft and only PK and Kadri can create anything .

This team is deeply flawed and we owe our record to our goalies who have masked many of our problems .

The problem going forward is that it seems teams have figured out that if they don't over commit in the offensive zone and play a patient game they'll easily shut down our offense and they can still hem us in our end for long periods of time .

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Orr and McLaren are useless just like any other enforcer that can't take even a semi regular shift without hurting you on the ice . RC keeps dressing them because this is a soft team and he's hoping these two slugs give the rest a backbone , it isn't working however and it's time to send one down to the farm and promote someone who at least may be able to add something to the lineup .
Yeah, that's what I think. Neither fought last night in a ****ing 6-0 home loss? Wow, that's actually pathetic the more I think it about it. I mean, I'm not saying we should bloodlust every game hoping for 5 fights a game. But a 6-0 home loss with both goons dressed and neither fights? That's absolutely unacceptable to me- that is literally there job on this team and they failed to do their job.
You're taking this loss too hard , if the players don't give a crap why should you let it ruin your day .

Definitely this. If these POS players don't care one iota and their play shows it, why should any of us let it ruin our day?
This also isn't a one off type of game . So far this season every time one our goalies haven't stood on there heads the teams been blown out . If our goalies had only been avg this year the team would be among the dregs of the league .

The D only has 2 guys that can play in the top 4 5 on 5 with the rest all being bottom pair guys at this point . Our C's even when healthy are a mediocre group and our forwards in general are soft and only PK and Kadri can create anything .

This team is deeply flawed and we owe our record to our goalies who have masked many of our problems .

The problem going forward is that it seems teams have figured out that if they don't over commit in the offensive zone and play a patient game they'll easily shut down our offense and they can still hem us in our end for long periods of time .

Completely agree. This isn't a 6-0 loss every night team, but without puck luck and great goaltending, this is a very subpar team and has no business sniffing a playoff spot.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Yeah, that's what I think. Neither fought last night in a ****ing 6-0 home loss? Wow, that's actually pathetic the more I think it about it. I mean, I'm not saying we should bloodlust every game hoping for 5 fights a game. But a 6-0 home loss with both goons dressed and neither fights? That's absolutely unacceptable to me- that is literally there job on this team and they failed to do their job.

I'll give them a pass last night due to the fact they really had no one to go with but they've been too silent our the course of the season so far and that's really the only reason they're on the team .

Last night Clarkson or Fraser should have gone when the game was still in reach to try to spark the team but they were both pretty quiet until Fraser fought .

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
So, the score is not indicative of anything? It's not a sign or representative of the D?!? Nothing?!? It's just a 'bad game?'

For once, I watched a bit of the pre-game. All I heard was Sportsnet analysts saying how the Leafs will finally have an easy game as it will be easy to defend against Columbus. They're having a difficult season and Bobrovsky is not in Vezina form so the Leafs have the ideal game to get their shots against down and score a few goals.

Yeah, sure. ;)

They made it sound like Bozak coming back meant the Leafs are one of the top defensive teams in the League. ;)

Although, they did call out the Leafs on giving way too many shots on net and that does not bode well for their playoff chances. I agreed with that part. If this is their game, they won't make it out of the first round.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
A game like this was inevitably going to happen as Leafs continue to play with fire and defy the Corsi time of possession and shot clock.

funny thing is this loss had nothing to do with possession or Corsi.

shots and corsi were pretty even.

But the Leafs weren't able to create any quality scoring chances, and the Blue Jackets were able to create a ton of them, so the shots/corsi were once again totally misleading, telling us that this was a close game when in reality we got absolutely crushed.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We were never blown out this bad even once last season.

One thing I loved about this team last year (probably what I loved the most even) was the compete level. There was only maybe 3 games where it never felt like we were really in it, we've already topped that mark this year.

I really thought we were going to be better than this. What a disappointment.

Penalty Kill Icing*

See, Potential does not blind me as it does with others, he has not progressed the past 2 years. There reaches a time you come to crossroads on a player, Gardiner is on that line. Not sure what has been good about Gardiner of late. He and Franson have been downright awful as a pair.

Looks like somebody didn't watch last year's playoffs.

I've already said I didn't watch last night's game but he has been quite good in the games I have watched. As a defenseman, you don't want to get noticed for the wrong things, and he has picked it up last 10-15 games.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Gardiner was very good last night again, aside from one glaring mistake he made when he was trying to cover for another brutal Franson mistake.

Can't wait to see a Gardiner-Rielly pair next game, with the two leadfoot bumblers Fraser and Franson stuck on bottom pair duty.l

Penalty Kill Icing*

Gardiner deserves to be the future of this team. He has slowly progressed to learn defense. Franson on other hand is :facepalm: worthy.

So many times in a game I find Franson going into the boards, he gets neither the puck nor the body and opposition gets a scoring chance. He looks swiss cheese soft in defense.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Typical Leaf fan logic .

Gunner - Franson - Fraser - Ranger

make all the mistakes while

Dion - Gards - Reilly

are perfect

Leaf nation you gotta love it .

It'll be interesting to see who get's blamed when two of DP/Rielly/Gards gets paired together .

goguls

Feb 8, 2009
Markham, ON
Typical Leaf fan logic .

Dion - Gards - Reilly

are perfect

It'll be interesting to see who get's blamed when two of DP/Rielly/Gards gets paired together .

bozak

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Gardiner was very good last night again, aside from one glaring mistake he made when he was trying to cover for another brutal Franson mistake.

Can't wait to see a Gardiner-Rielly pair next game, with the two leadfoot bumblers Fraser and Franson stuck on bottom pair duty.l
I agree he wasn't anywhere near as bad as most posters are claiming, but he blew that first goal all on his own with the icing and misplay behind the net.

wulfio*

Goaltending simply can't save your bacon every game.

Hopefully it was also a wake up call for the Leafs skaters to play harder and smarter and attempt to do their jobs better to help impact the game.

In the first 5 games of November the Leafs managed 5 goals and in the past 3 games they've managed just 3 goals. So if your offense is averaging 1 goal per game while getting outplayed and outshot regularly you can't expect the goalie to do all the rest.

defy some kid in his moms basement? blasphemers!!!

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Typical Leaf fan logic .

Dion - Gards - Reilly

are perfect

Did you read the GDT last night? Gardiner's name was getting thrown under the bus non stop.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I agree he wasn't anywhere near as bad as most posters are claiming, but he blew that first goal all on his own with the icing and misplay behind the net.

I'm a big Gardiner fan, and I'm not sure how to describe this properly, but he has a way of looking bad from time to time that I think affects the way people think he's playing.

He's such an effortless skater, it often looks like he's just floating around not paying attention. When he gets the puck, he also has a tendency to want to randomly speed things up to catch forecheckers off guard, which looks like he's panicking. Plus he's legitimately weak on the body. Optically the effect is he just looks sloppy.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
The next stretch of games are what separates Randy Carlyle's Leafs from Ron Wilson's Leafs (I'm not saying the coaches in particular, but the "eras").

The Leafs will continue to win games over the next stretch. Whereas in 2011, this would be a 5-10 game losing streak.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I feel like were gunna be stuck bouncing back between polar opposites with respect to coaching. "Wilson has no defensive structure, we need a defensive coach" "Carlyle has no offensive structure, we need an offensive coach" Why can't we just have a coach who can do both :(

you could have Scotty Bowman coaching the team and LeafLand would eventually turn on him because he continues to play their most hated player of the day flavour

Fire the trapezoid

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The next stretch of games are what separates Randy Carlyle's Leafs from Ron Wilson's Leafs (I'm not saying the coaches in particular, but the "eras").

The Leafs will continue to win games over the next stretch. Whereas in 2011, this would be a 5-10 game losing streak.

so the difference is goaltending, is that what you're saying;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad