Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Cade Webber || Signed to ELC (now official)

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Seriously? Our management was this stupid???
Calling management "stupid" when they just signed someone without even having to send anyone down... You do know if they waited until the end of the season they wouldn't need to send anyone down... so please elaborate on how this was stupid...

Reactions: uncleben

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Calling management "stupid" when they just signed someone without even having to send anyone down... You do know if they waited until the end of the season they wouldn't need to send anyone down... so please elaborate on how this was stupid...
Cause he didnt get to play a regular season game this year! the horror.

Guy likely isnt even on the starting roster next season.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
This just signed him so I guess no they were not.
And has been suggested, the gameplan was likely to send Robertson down on paper for one game to let Webber get his feet wet in Tampa, but with injuries they only had 12 healthy forwards, so they couldn't do that. The kid signed, move on

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I'm still not happy about this trade.

Nothing against Webber. I'm sure he's a very good prosect. My beef with him being the player in this horrible trade Treliving made has nothing to do with him.

It has everything to do with the moron who made it.

The deadline is when you acquire players who help you win the cup. If a player isn't gonna help you win the cup then you don't trade for him. Did any other GM's of contending team's trade for a chump kid like Webber at the deadline.

Nooooo.....

They traded for guys like Tarasanko or Guentzel. The Leafs traded for Cade Webber. Do you see the difference.

One of these things is not like the others.

Sure that sixth ain't much. But in the hands of a capable scout like Clark it could be a late round gem. When you don't have a lot of draft picks to begin with is it really worth wasting one on a guy who might, maybe, play for the bottom pair one day.

The wrong guy, at the wrong time, for the wrong reasons.

• Haha
Reactions: Mckay

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
1720110903578.png

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa

Nothing against Webber. I'm sure he's a very good prosect. My beef with him being the player in this horrible trade Treliving made has nothing to do with him.

The deadline is when you acquire players who help you win the cup. If a player isn't gonna help you win the cup then you don't trade for him. Did any other GM's of contending team's trade for a chump kid like Webber at the deadline.

Nooooo.....

They traded for guys like Tarasanko or Guentzel. The Leafs traded for Cade Webber. Do you see the difference.

Sure that sixth ain't much. But in the hands of a capable scout like Clark it could be a late round gem. When you don't have a lot of draft picks to begin with is it really worth wasting one on a guy who might, maybe, play for the bottom pair one day.

We might have even found a player like Webber!

RIP 6th rounder.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
We might have even found a player like Webber!

RIP 6th rounder.

My point was that they didn't do enough at the deadline.

I chopped the last sentence of the last paragraph too early. Should have said ".... as opposed to someone who helps them win now". It's a little ambiguous the way it reads now because of the Clark reference earlier in the paragraph.

Originally it tied the last paragraph to the concluding sentence of my point.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008

I chopped the last sentence of the last paragraph too early. Should have said ".... as opposed to someone who helps them win now". It's a little ambiguous the way it reads now because of the Clark reference earlier in the paragraph.

I think the main reason they didn't do more at the deadline was because they had no cap space and very little draft capital left. Plus some huge question marks around the team.

A 6th for a good prospect seems like the least of our worries.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I think the main reason they didn't do more at the deadline was because they had no cap space and very little draft capital left. Plus some huge question marks around the team.

A 6th for a good prospect seems like the least of our worries.

With a little ingenuity they could have made a swing for the fences trade.

Nylander, Cowan, 1st, 6th for Guentzel and Karlsson. With Pittsburgh eating salary and a third party involved they could have had Karlsson for $2.5M the next three years. Guentzel replaces Nylander.

They just don't have the mental capacity to think outside the box I guess.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON

Nooooo.....

This isn't worth paragraphs of angst over.

They turned a 6th into an actual prospects that's already a few years into his development. There is literally zero downside, even if this guys turns out to be nothing. Most draft picks don't even get to this point.

Jesus...

Nylander, Cowan, 1st, 6th for Guentzel and Karlsson. With Pittsburgh eating salary and a third party involved they could have had Karlsson for $2.5M the next three years. Guentzel replaces Nylander.

Nobody is retaining 50% on Karlsson, not even SJ did.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015

Nooooo.....

Shocking... people having a problem with a prospect they knew nothing about until the Leaf's acquired them, who could potentially be a good prospect.

Then crying about not drafting that 6th round pick to then have another prospect they would know nothing about until the Leaf's acquired them, would could potentially be a good prospect... It's the exact same thing, the only difference is the 6th rounder would be younger and less developed.

Last edited:

Bust

Jul 28, 2016

Dude.

You’re mad that they added a prospect in an area of weakness, vs completing a block buster trade, getting rid of more futures, for a d man we don’t need who is well past his prime?

That would be an absolute brutal trade for us.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
This isn't worth paragraphs of angst over.

They turned a 6th into an actual prospects that's already a few years into his development. There is literally zero downside, even if this guys turns out to be nothing. Most draft picks don't even get to this point.

Jesus...

Nobody is retaining 50% on Karlsson, not even SJ did.

Shocking... people having a problem with a prospect they knew nothing about until the Leaf's acquired them, who could potentially be a good prospect.

Then crying about not drafting that 6th round pick to then have another prospect they would know nothing about until the Leaf's acquired them, would could potentially be a good prospect... It's the exact same thing, the only difference is the 6th rounder would be younger and less developed.

Dude.

You’re mad that they added a prospect in an area of weakness, vs completing a block buster trade, getting rid of more futures, for a d man we don’t need who is well past his prime?

And this is why the Leafs will never win in the playoffs.

• Haha

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Dude.

And you forgot the part about trading Nylander for Guentzel... Nylander who performs in the playoffs, is younger then Guentzel, scores more then Guentzel, and puts up more assists then Guentzel. Also Guentzel had 4 goals in 11 playoffs games.... Nylander had 3 goals in 4 playoffs games after coming off an injury and playing on the second line.

Last edited:

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

That's one of the worst trade proposals I've seen in a long time. That'd be the biggest trade win of Dubas' career.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

you're just being extra ridiculous now

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
And you forgot the part about trading Nylander for Guentzel... Nylander who performs in the playoffs, is younger then Guentzel, scores more then Guentzel, and puts up more assists then Guentzel. Also Guentzel had 4 goals in 11 playoffs games.... Nylander had 3 goals in 4 playoffs games after coming off an injury.

Not to mention that Guentzel was a pending UFA who just refused to resign for the contender who got him at the deadline.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

This deal is horrendous.

I really like Jake Guentzel. Probably moreso and for longer than most here as the Pens are my second favorite team. But, Nylander is quite easily the better player between the 2.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021

Until the spoiled rich kids up front grow some balls, no deadline acquisitions will suffice. That's the ugly reality of the Leafs.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
His attitude in the interview was great. Still a long way to go.

I like that we are bringing these kids in with size and a defensive mindset to populate the prospect ranks. Home grow a few. Maybe a couple turn into really useful long term players for us.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad