Prospect Info: Leafs 7th. pick at #202 Andreas Johnson - LW - Frolunda Jr.

snizzbone*

Hell to the yes, I've been up all night to see if any team was smart enough to pick Johnson. Only Lindholm and Wennberg have higher potential among the Swedish forwards IMO. Johnson has been flying under the radar due to him not having been selected to the national junior team, but he has constantly been one of best players in the Swedish junior leagues. This season he debuted in the SEL and not only did his game from juniors transfer well to senior hockey, he excelled with the faster pace of the game, it was a treat to watch. I'll write more tomorrow, but for now take a look at his only point so far in the SEL; http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/elitserien/frolunda/article15985353.ab @ 1:50

Any chance he makes the Swedish WJC team this year?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Believe the Leafs will have his rights for 4-years under the new rules which is ideal with this type of pick.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
Hell to the yes, I've been up all night to see if any team was smart enough to pick Johnson. Only Lindholm and Wennberg have higher potential among the Swedish forwards IMO. Johnson has been flying under the radar due to him not having been selected to the national junior team, but he has constantly been one of best players in the Swedish junior leagues. This season he debuted in the SEL and not only did his game from juniors transfer well to senior hockey, he excelled with the faster pace of the game, it was a treat to watch. I'll write more tomorrow, but for now take a look at his only point so far in the SEL; http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/elitserien/frolunda/article15985353.ab @ 1:50

Whaaaaat....that's some pretty sweet moves :nod:

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Guy models his game after Patrick Kane. Johnson will sport #88 in the SHL next season.

Love the fact he'll be playing in the SHL. He already got a taste as an 18-year-old which is great to see. Few years in the SEL will be good for him. Any information on him that you can provide?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Guy models his game after Patrick Kane. Johnson will sport #88 in the SHL next season.

Is he pegged for a top 9 role, Or could a loan to a Allsvenskan team be in the cards?

Either way I'll be keeping eye on Frölunda this season with Nilsson there as well.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo

Thanks for the info my man!

Sounds like a boom/bust pick. I like it.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Love the fact he'll be playing in the SHL. He already got a taste as an 18-year-old which is great to see. Few years in the SEL will be good for him. Any information on him that you can provide?

Is he pegged for a top 9 role, Or could a loan to a Allsvenskan team be in the cards?

Either way I'll be keeping eye on Frölunda this season with Nilsson there as well.
He's one of 16 forwards for the team. Heading into pre-season next month, he's outside of the top 13.

D. Axelsson - Lundqvist - Kahnberg
Brunnstrom - Olimb - Collberg
Wennberg - McGrath - Figren
A. Axelsson - Rydahl - Lasu
Rosseli Olsen

Then you have Erik Karlsson (Canes pick last year) and Johnson. Jonathan, Andy's older brother, has already been assigned to Allsvenskan, but he is also signed to a pro contract.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=12

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
He's one of 16 forwards for the team. Heading into pre-season next month, he's outside of the top 13.

D. Axelsson - Lundqvist - Kahnberg
Brunnstrom - Olimb - Collberg
Wennberg - McGrath - Figren
A. Axelsson - Rydahl - Lasu
Rosseli Olsen

Then you have Erik Karlsson (Canes pick last year) and Johnson. Jonathan, Andy's older brother, has already been assigned to Allsvenskan, but he is also signed to a pro contract.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=12

Seen enough of him to provide input/scouting report?

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Great value pick. He'll probably top out as a bottom 6 energy guy/AHL tweener..... but in the 7th round that is a steal

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Like I said, I think this is a very good pick. Johnson got great potential, I've followed him closely the last few seasons and he has developed into a very interesting prospect. He's always been shorter and lighter then his peers, but this season he started filling out and his production increased accordingly.

When he first started playing the the J20 SuperElit he was a tweener, much smaller than anyone else out on the ice but still managed to put up 0.5PPG from a third/fourth line role. He got by on his shot, his skating, and his hockey smarts. He is still growing, a late bloomer for hockey players, but once he puts it all together I think he could be a top producing player at senior level. He has very smooth hands, he has a very good concealed shot and knows how to pick his corners. He is an excellent skater, not the fastest guy from a to b but his skating is real smooth and he can shift gears effortlessly.

It will be interesting to see what a summer training program with the senior team will do to him. Today he's most effective off the rush, at high speeds where he can get away from defenders. He needs to get much stronger to have an impact at senior level, where the play is much more stationary in the SEL.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
Like I said, I think this is a very good pick. Johnson got great potential, I've followed him closely the last few seasons and he has developed into a very interesting prospect. He's always been shorter and lighter then his peers, but this season he started filling out and his production increased accordingly.

When he first started playing the the J20 SuperElit he was a tweener, much smaller than anyone else out on the ice but still managed to put up 0.5PPG from a third/fourth line role. He got by on his shot, his skating, and his hockey smarts. He is still growing, a late bloomer for hockey players, but once he puts it all together I think he could be a top producing player at senior level. He has very smooth hands, he has a very good concealed shot and knows how to pick his corners. He is an excellent skater, not the fastest guy from a to b but his skating is real smooth and he can shift gears effortlessly.

It will be interesting to see what a summer training program with the senior team will do to him. Today he's most effective off the rush, at high speeds where he can get away from defenders. He needs to get much stronger to have an impact at senior level, where the play is much more stationary in the SEL.

Thanks for the input.

Amazes me how he fell all the way to 7th round, sure he's not the biggest guy but with that skillset he falls all the way to 7th.
I suppose that's how you get steals.

Hope you can keep us updated during the course of the season.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not invited to Swedens WJC camp.

Not surprising considering he appears to be fairly one dimensional and that there's better players infront of him. Perhaps next year he'll have a better chance depending on how he does this year.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Not invited to Swedens WJC camp.

Not surprising considering he appears to be fairly one dimensional and that there's better players infront of him. Perhaps next year he'll have a better chance depending on how he does this year.

He's always been overlooked for the national team, I'm guessing because he's always been one of the smallest players of his age group. I think he still has a shot, depending on how his season goes.

This is his last chance to play at the WJC since he's a '94.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
Another swing for the fences prospect wow

I'm glad we took this approach in this draft!!! This draft is boom or bust!!!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's always been overlooked for the national team, I'm guessing because he's always been one of the smallest players of his age group. I think he still has a shot, depending on how his season goes.

This is his last chance to play at the WJC since he's a '94.

Woops I thought he was a year younger. You're right.

I suppose he has a chance but it doesn't look that good.

Either way, still looks like a raw player with decent potential, especially with a 7th round pick. Can't go wrong with those.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad