LD Zeev Buium - University of Denver, NCAA (2024 Draft)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Best defenseman in the draft.
He’s number 1 on my list too.

Would take him as of 3 the more and more I think about it. Sure the Habs don't need an LD, give him another year in the NCAA and bring him a year after by then you'll create space for him by trading an LD for a fwd FFS

The whole we are not going LD is horrible asset management
He’s my 3rd overall prospect too. After Celebrini and Demidov.

If the Sharks had fallen to 3rd Buium would have been my choice. This guy is gonna be so good. If anyone gets him past 4th, they’ll have a steal.
My hope as an Utah fan is to go one of Buium or Dickinson. My two top ranked D.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

Lion13

May 7, 2024
I’m in on buium too, as a hawks fan he’s absolutely my pick @ 2.
He’s arguably going to be the best player from this draft IMO. No knock on Celebrini as I think he’s going to be absolutely fantastic as well, but it’ll be that classic debate of number 1 C vs number 1 D , as I see them both being

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’m in on buium too, as a hawks fan he’s absolutely my pick @ 2.
He’s arguably going to be the best player from this draft IMO. No knock on Celebrini as I think he’s going to be absolutely fantastic as well, but it’ll be that classic debate of number 1 C vs number 1 D , as I see them both being

I'm not willing to be that bold, but I can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind many times watching Buium.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

Lion13

May 7, 2024
I'm not willing to be that bold, but I can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind many times watching Buium.
I hear you on the #2 pick, ideally we can trade down a bit and still get him , die to draft rankings etc.., , but I do think he’s 1A/1B of this draft

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Have read somewhere hes played the right side most of the year, is that accurate and any comments if he’s better on either side?

See more and more forwards playing their ‘off-wing’, depending on their skill sets.

There are pros and cons to each way and in which zone they’re playing and don’t see it any different with D

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Have read somewhere hes played the right side most of the year, is that accurate and any comments if he’s better on either side?

I usually saw Buium on the right side, but not sure if that was common all year.

You see him attacking down the right side with one hand on his stick a lot, very strong that way. Is he actually better that way? No idea, maybe someone just had to switch sides.

See more and more forwards playing their ‘off-wing’, depending on their skill sets.

There are pros and cons to each way and in which zone they’re playing and don’t see it any different with D

D have gone in the other direction - fewer and fewer play the opposite side. There are a lot of factors but the big thing is that it is harder to get out of your zone when you pick the puck up on the wall - you want to be on your forehand looking up ice, not turned around on your backhand.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I hear you on the #2 pick, ideally we can trade down a bit and still get him , die to draft rankings etc.., , but I do think he’s 1A/1B of this draft

No way on trading down. If you have a preference among the top 6-7 big dogs in this draft after Celebrini, you stay put and make your pick. There’s too little consensus and team boards are likely to be all over the place. If you say “Buium is clearly my/our choice if we had to stay at 2” then you better take him at 2 because if you trade down 4 or 5 spots, there’s a great likelihood you won’t get him.

The Hawks are still in great shape at #2 because with no clear consensus and a variety of different skill sets and “shapes” of prospects on the board - they are the one team who gets to make their clear “best fit” choice without having to settle for a second option.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
D have gone in the other direction - fewer and fewer play the opposite side. There are a lot of factors but the big thing is that it is harder to get out of your zone when you pick the puck up on the wall - you want to be on your forehand looking up ice, not turned around on your backhand.
Like everyone says, pros and cons to each. As a D and coach of D, I’ve always taught that the net is the most valuable tool while breaking out and retrieving pucks. If we can get the net there’s a really good chance we can use it to lose forecheckers and exit the zone under control and through the middle of the ice. Retrieving pucks and “getting the net” really is much easier on the off side so it can be scooped up on the forehand. That, and off-hand players can attack the middle much quicker, while being a shooting threat the entire time they walk the line in the OZ.

Depends on players skill sets, but I really don’t understand why there aren’t more playing their off-side. It’s not something I’ve ever looked for to have an even split 3/3 on my teams - that seems to me like an overstated need, players can be just as effective, if not more depending on their tools and style, on the off-side.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I usually saw Buium on the right side, but not sure if that was common all year.

You see him attacking down the right side with one hand on his stick a lot, very strong that way. Is he actually better that way? No idea, maybe someone just had to switch sides.

That's mainly because there are more Americans than ever playing D, and Americans naturally pick up a hockey stick right handed, while Canadians pick one up left handed, as do many Euros.

I think any Dman should be able to play the opposite side, and their are some advantages to doing that, but in general, you are right. D to D passes are also easier when you have opposite handed players paired.

I really, really, like Buium, but don't think that he has top 5 tools(skating, size). He is also not a two way stud- I think his defense is decent, but not great. What you are banking on with him is that his IQ, and puck skills allow him to shine at higher levels, and that his strength(already good) and size continues to grow. For all we know he could be the next Fox, or Keith.

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Obviously, but with any prospect there's the chance they don't hit their ceiling.
Granted but a 6' D who doesn't hit his ceiling has much less future value than a 6'3" D who doesn't hit his ceiling. That's why both Buium and Parekh are behind the other top D in McKenzie's latest rankings despite their gaudy numbers.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Granted but a 6' D who doesn't hit his ceiling has much less future value than a 6'3" D who doesn't hit his ceiling. That's why both Buium and Parekh are behind the other top D in McKenzie's latest rankings despite their gaudy numbers.
We'll have to wait for the combine and get updated measurements. There are reports that Buium is 6'2".

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Why draft a top pick for the floor of a "big guy who is good at D?" Plenty of other picks to do that with, seems like odd logic IMO.

Buium is a striker.

His play in his own zone is efficient, not super physical but comes out the wall/battle with the puck already knowing what he's going to do next, kinda like the way Keith played in his own zone. He'll still pin a guy when needed but his quick decision making allows him to take the best approach in the moment. Definitely the opposite of the big reach using his body type D.

As per offense, Fox might be a decent comp? But, to be more detailed, it's again his decision making on the fly. Lots of shifts he's conservative when it's called for, he only cheats when it's there. He's not an offensive D that tries highlight silliness every shift like a lot of O-minded D in juniors. If a guy gets the puck off him when Buium cheats there's someone behind him already as insurance. When he goes up on the cycle he's a huge threat because he plays like a forward. He can power to the net, wrap around on you, he can stand still in a wall battle when pinned and make a sick pass behind him, has a hell of a cut too. Lots of plays in his book.

Really, the big thing is how he executed his game at his age against the NCAA. Denver basically went back with a very similar roster of a few parts swapped plus Buium. They put up 52 more goals this season than last, raised the + column of the whole roster, won the title and people who followed Denver give Buium credit for QB'ing the team in that direction.

As a Hawks fan I think getting the team a high IQ offensive catalyst would be huge.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
If I was the Sharks I’d absolutely do whatever I could to move up and get Buium.. it just depends on where he goes. If he falls close to the 7-8, I think we can make something happen, potentially. I doubt we can get any better than that though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad