LD Tyler Kleven (2020, 44th, OTT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Big shutdown defenseman. Moves very well for a 6'4 defenseman and delivers punishing hits. Very good defensive game. Bland passing and offensive game, although this part of his game isn't a liability. I'm not sure about his draft range. I'd have no problem drafting this type of player top 10-15, but he won't bring enough outside the defensive zone to be higher than late first/early second in the opinion of some, unless he develops a much better offensive game. It could happen. Still two years until his draft.

Tyler Kleven at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:

Ser Grogu

Dank farrik
Aug 6, 2009
Dat name
S0RGguX.jpg

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Still finding this hilarious. What sticks out about him is the never ending big boogers coming out of his nose as a 6 yo. Dad played college hockey, I think...had a bad ankle.
Good luck, Tyler!

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Moved up today to the 18's. I think he'll be sent back when Warren and Fensore return, but I think midseason/towards the end of the season he'll be promoted for the rest of the season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He didn't look out of place at all with the older team today.

Does he remind you of Mattias Samuelsson at all?

I couldn't put my finger on it watching him, but I knew I had seen Kleven's style of play before, and I realized that he played similar to the big shutdown defenseman that just left the NTDP.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Does he remind you of Mattias Samuelsson at all?

I couldn't put my finger on it watching him, but I knew I had seen Kleven's style of play before, and I realized that he played similar to the big shutdown defenseman that just left the NTDP.

Yes, he does remind me of Samuelsson. He's a big, strong kid and skates fairly well. I haven't seen him make any glaring errors so far in the few games he's played here in Plymouth.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I posted this in the NTDP thread, but thought I'd repeat it here:

Tyler Kleven is really beginning to blossom on defense for the U17's. He's been their best player the first two games of the Four Nations tournament being held this week at USA Hockey Arena. He's physical, can handle the puck and skate, and has shown a hard and heavy slap shot. Late in last night's game against the Swiss, he let a shot loose from the top of the left faceoff circle directly into the goalie, and you could tell it really rattled the netminder. The uniform number 43 must be a good luck charm for the U17's. The past three seasons it's been worn by Quinn Hughes, Jack Hughes and now Kleven.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think I overestimated his ability with the puck. He can skate, but he provides absolutely no offense and isn't a great puck-mover either.

He's very good defensively along with a very physical style of play and good skating. I still think he projects as a top 4 defensemen due to his defensive game, but he's almost a complete zero when his team has the puck.

Looking like more of a late first round pick or early second.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I think I overestimated his ability with the puck. He can skate, but he provides absolutely no offense and isn't a great puck-mover either.

He's very good defensively along with a very physical style of play and good skating. I still think he projects as a top 4 defensemen due to his defensive game, but he's almost a complete zero when his team has the puck.

Looking like more of a late first round pick or early second.
Thanks for providing all these detailed updates on the 2020 US class.

I remember a year or two ago that THN did a piece on him where he was projected as a top-5 pick for the 2020 draft. What changed about his game?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thanks for providing all these detailed updates on the 2020 US class.

I remember a year or two ago that THN did a piece on him where he was projected as a top-5 pick for the 2020 draft. What changed about his game?

I don’t think anything changed.

I think that he was projected to eventually add offense because he skates well, but that hasn’t happened. Compared to the last two “big defensemen” in recent years out of the program, Samuelsson and Vlasic, he has nowhere near the offensive game as Vlasic and he should’ve been projected to develop the offensive game of Samuelsson. So far, he hasn’t done that. He’s still a good player and the lack of offense doesn’t mean he’s a bad player, but it will limit his draft position.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Coming in at 6-foot-4 Tyler Kleven has been a towering presence on the United States National Team Development Program blue line. He scored just two assists in 17 games of the USHL schedule this year. He was better in the USNTDP’s college exhibition schedule, putting up two goals and eight assists for 10 points in 28 games. With 63 penalty minutes on the season, he has also shown a physical game, at times crossing the line. Kleven played in the All-American Top Prospects Game scoring a goal and an assist.

Last season, Kleven had three goals and five assists for eight points in 52 games with the Under-17 squad. He also had 96 penalty minutes. In five games at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, Kleven picked up 16 penalty minutes, leading the tournament. He had a one-game call-up with the Under-18 team.

The Fargo, North Dakota native is committed to playing hockey for the University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks next season. If he changes his mind, Kleven’s WHL rights belong to the Portland Winterhawks, who drafted him in the 10th round of the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft.

Our full Scouting Report is here
Tyler Kleven Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #45 - Last Word on Hockey

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
LMAO JD Burke of ELite prospects just said this is a terrible pick.

They have analytic stats that says Kleven had the worst succssfull player to player pass connection percentage. Worst than the goalies on his USNDT team.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

They have analytic stats that says Kleven had the worst succssfull player to player pass connection percentage. Worst than the goalies on his USNDT team.

Hmmm, some dude or the Ottawa scouting staff...

Sounds like a great pick to me personally. People in this thread who have watched him seem to think he can make the first pass out, but offence isn't his strong point, but he's an imposing, big hitting dude who will play a 5/6 role down the road.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Ottawa loves their UND guys.

Hopefully he wants to play for a full degree in college too, things are getting a bit tight for spots in Sens-land.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Doesn’t surprise me. He’s bad at moving the puck, but can skate it out.

I think he’ll play. Shutdown guy. Really good defensively, huge hitter, great size and skating. Maybe you get a 4, if he develops well. If not, probably a 5 or 6.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Hmmm, some dude or the Ottawa scouting staff...

Sounds like a great pick to me personally. People in this thread who have watched him seem to think he can make the first pass out, but offence isn't his strong point, but he's an imposing, big hitting dude who will play a 5/6 role down the road.

that some dude works for Elite Prospects and TSN

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
As someone who has seen the USNTDP in person, Kleven is not very good.

He's a hitter, but not really a huge hitter. Passing is god awful. Skating is only so-so.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

No doubt has never seen the player live or even video and is only relying on charts. That said, HF tells me skills like passing can be developed so what's not to like? At worst you get Nick Petrecki!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Another solid pick for Ottawa, they're killing it.

Big, mean physical D man with middle pairing upside. Those are very valuable players to draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad