LD Timur Kol - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2024, 168th, CAR)

Kase

May 1, 2016
Timur Kol has been splitting his time between Omskie's MHL and VHL team so far this season. I just binge watched five of his VHL games, and I think he is another very promising Dman prospect from Russia.

His stat line in VHL so far is impressive 9gp 2g 2a +3 while averageing only 11:45 minutes of icetime, and he has looked equally as impressive.

What standouts in Kol's game is his size, mobility and smarts. He is listed as 6'3" 198 lbs and even though I haven't seen blistering speed from him, he has very solid all around mobility that standouts even in VHL. It's obvious that he also has pro level smarts already, especially defensively, but I think he has shown that he has the smarts to impact the game in all zones. I'd consider him to have a plus level shot for an 17 year old Dman. I feel like Kol wouldn't look too out of place even in KHL.

I think the biggest question mark I have regarding Kol and his draft ranking at the moment is his puck handling. And I don't mean that he is bad in that regard, moreso that I'm inconclusive about it. He has shown pretty solid puck confidence and has looked comfortable while handling puck on the line and from time to time has shown willingness of carrying the puck up on the ice. In terms of puck skills I have not really seen anything that noteworthy, maybe one or two flashes of above average puck skills.

I think NHL Central Scouting rated Kol as C rated player, not that I personally put any value on their ratings. Based on the 5 games I have seen from him so far, he looked like a first round caliber talent. I think he has shown more promise than Grushnikov for example, who went on the 2nd round, so if Kol continues to perform this way, I don't think he should fall past the first three rounds. Where I personally end up ranking him will be heavily dependant on his puck handling, because so far everything else checks.

@Caser
Pinging the blessing of Russian prospects highlights, updates and analysis, because I'm too lazy to post any videos...thanks.

Timur Kol at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Seems like a very solid prospect and great value in rounds 4-7 if available

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad