LD Sascha Boumedienne - Ohio Blue Jackets 16U AAA (2025 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Skilled and smooth skating defenseman, one of Sweden's top defensemen going into the 2025 draft, in the early stages. Just recently signed a tender with Youngstown Phantoms, their first in four years, and one of the earliest tenders in recent USHL history?

Son of Josef, who is currently working for Columbus Blue Jackets as their director of professional scouting.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Skilled and smooth skating defenseman, one of Sweden's top defensemen going into the 2025 draft, in the early stages. Just recently signed a tender with Youngstown Phantoms, their first in four years, and one of the earliest tenders in recent USHL history?

Son of Josef, who is currently working for Columbus Blue Jackets as their director of professional scouting.
I knew I knew this name from somewhere - if was definitely because of the tender announcement a few weeks back.

Nice to see Youngstown getting Tenders again.

As for the player - don’t know much about him but I have heard he has a heavy shot from the point - and at his age isn’t bad at defending against the rush - also have heard the same re: his skating.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
His dad was an underrated talent - had a great skill and toughness combo though never quite made the jump to consistent NHLer.

If EP is correct - Sascha was born in Finland (while dad was playing with Karpat), is obviously Swedish but has played his higher level youth hockey in the USA. Is there any consideration that he may have options with regards to who he would represent internationality - at least at the youth level - or is he Swedish through and through?

Reactions: DaveG and Eye of Ra

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
His dad was an underrated talent - had a great skill and toughness combo though never quite made the jump to consistent NHLer.

If EP is correct - Sascha was born in Finland (while dad was playing with Karpat), is obviously Swedish but has played his higher level youth hockey in the USA. Is there any consideration that he may have options with regards to who he would represent internationality - at least at the youth level - or is he Swedish through and through?
He moved with his family to Ohio for the 2021-22 season, so only lived and played in the US for 1½ years. He's Swedish through and through, been at Sweden's U16 camp this weekend, too.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Josef has another son Wilson, he too plays hockey, but he i think is a forward
i believe Wilson is a 2029 draft eligible player, or something like that.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Just wanted to put a little note for Boumedienne in here - copied from my post in the USHL thread for this year at the Fall Classic. Just two games but I liked what I saw from him a lot:

34 D Sascha Boumedienne (07) (2024 Draft) - This kid in two games showed maturity beyond his years and you see why he was tendered by Youngstown out of the Ohio AAA Blue Jackets program. His father Josef, is the director of pro scouting for the Blue Jackets in the NHL. He really didn't get beat in two games and hit on his outlet feeds. Was also a play where he gathered a loose puck going into his own zone, took a look over his shoulder and faked a backhand D to D and pivoted away from pressure to get the puck going north. Also has a blast of a shot showing it on his 1-timer goal late vs Tri-City, and let a few more go towards the net. He was used on the top PP unit and I expect this kid's stock will rise as the season goes along.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
So he could represent Sweden, the US and Finland if he wanted to? Born in Finland with a Finnish-Swedish father...

Finland welcomes you Sascha lol.

Interesting fact, Josef (his father) actually wanted to represent Finland back in the days.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
So he could represent Sweden, the US and Finland if he wanted to? Born in Finland with a Finnish-Swedish father...

Interesting fact, Josef (his father) actually wanted to represent Finland back in the days.
No, he can't represent Finland. Would need to spend 2-4 seasons in Finland, depending on if he has Finnish citizenship.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
No, he can't represent Finland. Would need to spend 2-4 seasons in Finland, depending on if he has Finnish citizenship.
Doesn’t that only apply to people who change their nationality? He would already have Finnish nationality as it is.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Doesn’t that only apply to people who change their nationality? He would already have Finnish nationality as it is.
If you're a dual citizen then you need 2 seasons after the age of 10 in the country for which you wish to represent.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

his father said in a interview with hockeysverige that he feels as much as swedish as finn and algerian. he played some nt games for team Sweden. He was a good player. Good offensive skills and had a mean streak. Should have played in a couple of WC imo. Would have prefered him over Thomas Rhodin.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

I haven't seen anything that indicates he has US citizenship, unless he has it through his mom.

Reactions: Svedu

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
his father said in a interview with hockeysverige that he feels as much as swedish as finn and algerian. he played some nt games for team Sweden. He was a good player. Good offensive skills and had a mean streak. Should have played in a couple of WC imo. Would have prefered him over Thomas Rhodin.
Yeah, makes sense since h was born in Stockholm. But mother is Finnish and dad Algerian and he himself wanted and wished to represent Finland but he had some issues because of representing Sweden in some games before or something.

I mean he is hired by Kekäläinen as well and his son was actually born in Oulu so it's no stretch either.
But yeah, Josef is probably just as Finnish and Swedish like Zibanejad. They are both and that's quite nice and good these days.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden

He is not obviously Swedish. His paternal grandfather is Algerian, his paternal grandmother Finnish. He IS Swedish; albeit not obviously so :D

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
I get the maturity and polish for a player of his age being desirable, but is this kid projected to be a defensive dman? His offensive output in midgets was on the lower end for a team that plays in a weak league. Not sure where this kid is supposed to project.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad