LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, NCAA (2018, 7th, VAN) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
It is when he’s being called smarter and a better playmaker, shooter, and passer. He didn’t just develop all of those traits in a single season, he would have had to possess most of them at draft time. So, how did he go in the 2nd round and Hughes went 7th OA?
Well Hughes has already reached his ceiling. There's no way he could be better than he is currently.

Reactions: Pouliot

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
It is when he’s being called smarter and a better playmaker, shooter, and passer. He didn’t just develop all of those traits in a single season, he would have had to possess most of them at draft time. So, how did he go in the 2nd round and Hughes went 7th OA?

Why was Johnny Gaudreau a 4th round pick? Why were six sub 6 foot defenders picked in the first round between 2011-2017 (6/63, 9.5%) and six (6/14, 43%) picked in 2018? Small defenders were being undervalued in the draft up to last season. They represent something like 15% of the defenseman population. In 2018, the pendulum swung hard the other way. No one had the balls to use a first round pick on a 5'9" 157lbs defender out of the QMJHL in 2016.

Last edited:

slobbergob

Apr 29, 2015
Thats why he went in the 2nd round in 2016? Girard probably has the better shot and accuracy, but if I'm being honest that's probably it. There's a reason why Hughes is regarded as a top 10 pick, and easily is the best skater in his draft.

Hughes is in trouble if Girard has a better shot than him because Girard has an absolute muffin.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Yeah, well, Hughes has the muffin of muffins.

That's actually true. And I have scientific prove behind it. I drafted him in my EHM game and he has scored a wooping 4 goals in 327 games so far. He is good everywhere, is on my first pair on every line but man he has no shot.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Hughes doesnt need to have a hard shot, he just needs to get it through traffic. He will have so many targets on the pp , shooting is probably not the first or second option.

He also will lead a lot of rushes so many shots will come in close of the goalie, therefore accuracy is more important.

You only need a hard shot when you cannot generate your own scoring chances because you are limited by skating or other factors like Weber or Souray.

Reactions: HolyJumpin40

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Don't worry he probably lives in Edmonton so he already loses.
I dont understand this argument. Edmonton is a great city. What's with people from vancouver always acting so arrogant about where they live? No one else in Canada cares.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
I dont understand this argument. Edmonton is a great city. What's with people from vancouver always acting so arrogant about where they live? No one else in Canada cares.
Yeah to be honest my mother is from Edmonton so Ive visited multiple times, but I have to tell you its pretty barren for the most part. It has some great parts don't get me wrong, but its not as nice Vancouver. I also dont live in Van I live In Victoria :naughty:

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Thats why he went in the 2nd round in 2016? Girard probably has the better shot and accuracy, but if I'm being honest that's probably it. There's a reason why Hughes is regarded as a top 10 pick, and easily is the best skater in his draft.
Wow dude! Hughes can be the best skater in whatever as much as he likes but only after he pulls off the moves Girard does w skating puck on his stick against NHL players, Girard>>Hughes

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Because Vancity and BC in general is the best part of the country HANDS DOWN :yo:

Last edited:

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Wow dude! Hughes can be the best skater in whatever as much as he likes but only after he pulls off the moves Girard does w skating puck on his stick against NHL players, Girard>>Hughes

I get your point but by your argument any NHL player (Girard/Orpik/Sbisa/Gudbranson,etc) is better than Dahlin, Heiskanen and Hughes until they play a game and show their skills in the NHL.

That is true, but the potential is there. I guess we won't know until next year. I really don't think Hughes will sign with us this year. Better to wait it out.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I get your point but by your argument any NHL player (Girard/Orpik/Sbisa/Gudbranson,etc) is better than Dahlin, Heiskanen and Hughes until they play a game and show their skills in the NHL.

That is true, but the potential is there. I guess we won't know until next year. I really don't think Hughes will sign with us this year. Better to wait it out.
Actually no, I never meant that if youre an NHL regular, you can pull these little miracles off. Hughes is probably gonna be able to dash through the defense and spin like a hurricane without losing the puck in the toughest defensive league eventually atleast. But when you have two skating phenoms being compared and the other does these tricks successfully in the NHL, as of now the better skater cannot be Hughes until he proves himself. Flashier faster superb edgework etc dont mean a thing unless you can make effective successful plays with them, that is my point

lawrence

May 19, 2012
For those interested, I take a look at Quinn Hughes' game, including his defensive play in this video below...

kinda has Duncan Keith's Aesthetics. He really does remind me of him, like how Keith can control the play and make shit happen with the puck. Also looks bigger then his vital stats.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
He really does just own the metronome while he's out there...for a NCAA kid playing at 18 like he does, that's something else really. I saw Duncan Keith in the land of Sparty, it wasn't remotely close to this (I say that to further your point, not detract from it). Now, of course, that doesn't mean Hughes ends up with all the accolades that DK did, but boy is he launching off of a really high platform...

Reactions: Canucks1096
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad