LD Owen Pickering - Swift Current Broncos, WHL (2022, 21th, PIT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Pickering has logged 8 points in 19 WHL games for Swift Current this season, and was slotted #5 in hockeyprospect.com's most recent draft ranking.

I've only caught a bit of Swift Current this year, but in those glimpses I'd be lying if I said Pickering jumped off the page to me. Any thoughts on this player?

Reactions: d rake

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
While #5 seems a little high at this point I have zero doubts he's going to be a huge riser. The kid is a bean pole (listed at 6'5", 178lbs on WHL) who skates well and is showing really good puck skills already. You can tell each game he's getting more assertive offensively and he already had a pretty solid defensive game.

I fully expect his numbers to improve as the season goes on, especially as he's taken over the #1 PP role on defense. Seems like the type of guy that scouts would project extremely well once he fills out. I think he's a lock for the first round and will get closer to the top 10 if he continues on his current trajectory

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Pickering has logged 8 points in 19 WHL games for Swift Current this season, and was slotted #5 in hockeyprospect.com's most recent draft ranking.

I've only caught a bit of Swift Current this year, but in those glimpses I'd be lying if I said Pickering jumped off the page to me. Any thoughts on this player?

5th?

do you have a link as the highest ranking i have seen so far is in the 70s.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think this is the one he was referring too

Sure I remember it now and still think wow that's a ton of projection going on there.

Put another way if the draft were held today I'm not even sure if he gets picked in the first round despite his size and skating.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not every big defenseman that can skate and handle the puck has offense in their game. Being able to not cough up the puck easily as a big defenseman doesn’t automatically translate to points. I’m not saying that this guy won’t be able to put up points, but offensive instincts should also be considered.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Him and Mateychuk played AAA together. the fact Pickering is being discussed to go before him is mind blowing.

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
Him and Mateychuk played AAA together. the fact Pickering is being discussed to go before him is mind blowing.

I never watched them play together at this level but I'm assuming you mean Mateychuk was head and shoulders the better player? I think that probably highlights the trajectory of the development curve he's on and why scouts might be pretty excited to project what he'll be in another few years.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Drafted in the ninth round, 177th overall, in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft, defenceman Owen Pickering has seen his game grow by leaps and bounds. He put up nine goals and 24 assists for 33 points in 62 games for a weak Swift Current Broncos team this season. Pickering was forced to play big minutes and was used in all situations for the Broncos, who finished 10th in the Eastern Conference. Pickering joined Team Canada for the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. He continued to play big minutes even for the national under-18 team. Pickering scored two assists in four tournament games. The Canadian coaching staff named him a top-three player on the team. Pickering also played for Team White at the 2022 CHL Top Prospects Game.

Reactions: Dominance

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Very very interesting prospect that nhl scouts seem to think high off..... Especially considering he has like 6 posts in his thread lol

Mateychuk is Pickerings cousin.

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
So who is Pickering's best comparable prospect? he's massive for his size and does look like he has a decent shot also.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
So who is Pickering's best comparable prospect? he's massive for his size and does look like he has a decent shot also.

I'm not really sure he one to be honest. Hes such a unique player given his growth spurt. Sometimes he still plays like hes 5'8 at times going for the puck and stick not realizing he can just use his body. He also find a way to sneak into the offensive zone which is crazy for a guy his size.

I've seen some scouts say Tyler Myers but that's just a lazy comparison IMO.

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
I'm not really sure he one to be honest. Hes such a unique player given his growth spurt. Sometimes he still plays like hes 5'8 at times going for the puck and stick not realizing he can just use his body. He also find a way to sneak into the offensive zone which is crazy for a guy his size.

I've seen some scouts say Tyler Myers but that's just a lazy comparison IMO.
I could see some elements of Pelech's game with a long stick and size, but if we wanna avoid the cliche picks of hedman or myers, perhaps Pickering being like a Byfuglien with a shot like that. Just spitballing some comparisons.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
In a good or bad way? he's always been a weird defenseman anytime I watch philly
Sanheim is a top-4 defender that went #17 overall in 2014.

I'm sure any team would be happy with that if Pickering goes in the late first

In fact both players were late WHL bantam draft selections that have very raw skillsets. But the tools to get any team excited thinking about what could be.

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
Sanheim is a top-4 defender that went #17 overall in 2014.

I'm sure any team would be happy with that if Pickering goes in the late first

In fact both players were late WHL bantam draft selections that have very raw skillsets. But the tools to get any team excited thinking about what could be.
then i can see him being taken at least in the top 13-18 range. lots of good enough defenseman in this draft who could be future solid players

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Travis Sanheim is who he reminds me of the most.

In a good or bad way? he's always been a weird defenseman anytime I watch philly

Pickering will be like Sanheim if he never gains another lb of muscle. Sanheim isn't bad but part of the appeal of Pickering is that many expect him to fill out. I totally get the comparison for the way they play now though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad