LD Luca Cagnoni - Barracuda , AHL (2023, 123rd, SJS)

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Since I'm finally able to search and find his thread again:

90 points in 65 games this year. 7 points in 4 playoff games. First WHL dman in 30 years to hit 90 points.

He's just over a year younger than Zellwegger (2 drafts apart though), but 10lbs heavier and scored more. Will be interesting to follow.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Since I'm finally able to search and find his thread again:

90 points in 65 games this year. 7 points in 4 playoff games. First WHL dman in 30 years to hit 90 points.

He's just over a year younger than Zellwegger (2 drafts apart though), but 10lbs heavier and scored more. Will be interesting to follow.
Easy trick for anyone to find a thread on this website.

Google “Player name” HFBoards
Ex: Luca Cagnoni HFBoards

Patty Ice

Mighty Luca
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Had a great showing at the rookie tournament and likely will go pro instead of back to Portland.

Great Makohead Shork

Apr 25, 2022
There would be alot more talk if he was an O6 team prospect. I'm not saying he's the same as Hutson, but they're both small OFD who have had great junior careers and one is seen as some elite talent while the other is never mentioned anywhere.
Maybe that's a good thing. I can hardly keep up with how quickly the Celebrini and Smith threads are moving

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
What would you say is his ceiling? and floor I guess
Floor is he doesn't make the NHL, same as all defenseman of his archetype.

I don't think he'll ever be a star in the NHL, how many ~5'10 and below defenseman have been stars, or proven top pair guys in the history of the league? Ceiling could be a 2nd pair, 1st PP puck moving guy, but even that is a longshot. The fact he's going AHL next year is at least a good sign and hopefully he shows well in that league.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I don’t remember if it was rookie tournament or preseason, but he was very noticeable…. Would be a nice add for San Jose if he pans out
Rookie tournament, preseason, AHL; he has been noticable everywhere he has been, positively, at both ends of the ice.

4+3 in 6 games and it feels like he hasn't had a game where everything with teammates clicks (especially for such a strong offensive team.) I wouldn't be surprised if he breaks some AHL rookie records as a d+2.

Obviously, it isn't the NHL, and wont be as easy there, but the consistency with which he shuts down transition offense and sends it the other way is wild.

Board battles have been fine. Not exactly special but he is more than capable and approaches it aggressively and has a tenacious attitude.

Only thing you can sort of criticize is net front tie ups, but even that has shown improvement over the first 6 games of the AHL season, and there are NHL defensemen worse than him at that, so it isn't like that will stop him, at all.

If he were drafted in the top half of the first, like the quality of talent he has shown since being drafted, he would already be in the NHL, and as long as he stays healthy, he will probably be the first 2023 dman to play in the NHL at some point this year.

Last edited:

PittsburghHustlers

Jan 9, 2017
Stockholm
Rookie tournament, preseason, AHL; he has been noticable everywhere he has been, positively, at both ends of the ice.

4+3 in 6 games and it feels like he hasn't had a game where everything with teammates clicks (especially for such a strong offensive team.) I wouldn't be surprised if he breaks some AHL rookie records as a d+2.

Obviously, it isn't the NHL, and wont be as easy there, but the consistency with which he shuts down transition offense and sends it the other way is wild.

Board battles have been fine. Not exactly special but he is more than capable and approaches it aggressively and has a tenacious attitude.

Only thing you can sort of criticize is net front tie ups, but even that has shown improvement over the first 6 games of the AHL season, and there are NHL defensemen worse than him at that, so it isn't like that will stop him, at all.

If he were drafted in the top half of the first, like the quality of talent he has shown since being drafted, he would already be in the NHL, and as long as he stays healthy, he will probably be the first 2023 dman to play in the NHL at some point this year.
Good write up, he’s looked amazing so far! Would love to see him and Celebrini together on PP1 with the Sharks later this season.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

I do wonder in a redraft where he would go. Obviously Rein and Shim go first but would he be in conversation before Willander, Sandin or Bonk?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad