LD Ethan Edwards - University of Michigan (2020, 120th, NJD)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I didn't see a thread. If I missed it, feel free to merge.

Defenceman Ethan Edwards was drafted by the Portland Winterhawks in the eighth round (165th overall) of the 2018 WHL Draft and by the Sioux Falls Stampede in the eighth round (125th overall) of the 2018 USHL Futures Draft. Despite that, the Grand Prarie, Alberta native choose to stay close to home, playing for the Spruce Grove Saints in the AJHL. Edwards put up nine goals and 24 assists for 33 points in 50 games this year. He also added two points in six playoff games. He was named to the AJHL (North) All-Rookie Team. Last season, Edwards played in 10 regular-season games, recording one assist. He also played five playoff games putting up one assist. Edwards represented Team Canada West at the 2019 World Junior A Hockey Challenge, recording one assist in four tournament games.

Prior to going to the AJHL, Edwards played prep-school hockey for Northern Alberta X-Treme Prep. In 2018-19 he put up two goals and 23 assists for 25 points in 33 regular-season games. He also added one goal and one assist for two points in five playoff games. Edwards helped his team to the CSSHL Championship. He is committed to playing for the Michigan Wolverines next year.

Our Scouting Report
Ethan Edwards Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #99

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Without seeing him I can only assume he is a lotto ticket. For once I'd love to see one of our prospects get some freak growth spurt to 6'3 or something. His brother being 5'11 at 22 sort of squashes that dream.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
He's like our new version of Walsh. You hope he develops into something in college. If he can be like Walsh, we'll have something good.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He is having a strong season, especially from the back end. Much better offensively than the numbers suggest too

Guessing you read the EP article too? :)

Was a big fan of his in his draft year. Thought he may have benefitted more going to a school where he could actually crack a PP rotation. Think he has more offense to give. If not, could be a modern day third pair defenseman that excels in transition someday.

Reactions: Lavar Ball

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
This guy has to be one of the most underrated dmen prospects out there right? I’m not saying he’s Makar, but looks like a nice find to me.

Reactions: Torts

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
He was amazing yesterday with Casey out of the lineup vs MSU. Past couple of seasons there's been a lot of defensemen ahead of Ethan at Michigan but he's come into his own this year. Selfishly, I'm hoping he returns for a senior season where he might be in the running to be team captain...I'm also good either way haha!

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Assuming Edwards is going back for his senior year and not running out the clock to August 15 UFA? Always been impressed with his game at Michigan.

Seems that way, he missed half of last season with injury which was the main talking point during this recent interview during the prospect camp. I'm assuming the team would want to sign him to an ELC after the season. Now as a senior, Edwards might be in line for a ton of ice time especially with Seamus Casey and Marshall Warren turning pro.

He'd need some AHL time most likely, so I don't think the August UFA option would be as appealing. From the handful of Michigan games I watched last year, Edwards was more noticeable than the first two seasons albeit for good and bad. He seemed more assertive offensively, but also maybe a little too eager to throw a big open ice hit (which led to odd man rushes the other way).

Devils should have an AHL spot ready for Edwards. They'll likely have to make a decision on Daniil Misyul and Santeri Hatakka as both are RFA and 24. The other LHD on our reserve list (Silayev/Karpovich/Orlov) will probably stay in Russia for 2025-26.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00