Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade (Update signs 1 year/875k deal with leafs)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I get where you are coming from...but if the return being offered around the league is like a 3rd or 4th round pick do you still just get rid of him to do the right thing? Option 1 is obviously he shows up to camp and earns his spot. If he really wants out, then the next best option is getting a fair return on him that can help us this year. If that isn't out there then to me, letting him sit until he gets it out of his system and shows up is a better option then just placating him at all costs and trading him for nothing. I am going to assume that if a great trade was out there for him at this point it would have happened...so we are down to he signs or he sits to me. Because if we trade him for a 3rd or something stupid we look like idiots. I am okay in losing a future 3rd rounder in this scenario.

So in your scenario, we look smart by wasting an asset if he is willing to play in another league until he is moved?

I think outside of him playing for the team this year, likely all options suck.

His value is lower than what he is worth I assume, and his playing overseas benefits no one.

For me the minimum i would trade him is for a 2nd. If the best we are getting offered is 3rd then he’s more valuable to the leafs.

If he agrees to play for them...

Robertson strikes me as the type that is willing to pass on more money if he doesn't think he'd benefit from the situation.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Can you show me anything that points to Holloway being a better player?
I might have actually been tricked by projected stats. this season they look fairly lateral. but either way with Robertson's injury history he's far from a safe bet.

I take back what i said. Robertson has alot nicer stats than Holloway. make no mistake though. Robertson's injury history reduces his value. he prob comes in around the 3rd or no pick value wise for offersheets on the open market

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
So in your scenario, we look smart by wasting an asset if he is willing to play in another league until he is moved?

I think outside of him playing for the team this year, likely all options suck.

His value is lower than what he is worth I assume, and his playing overseas benefits no one.

If he agrees to play for them...

Robertson strikes me as the type that is willing to pass on more money if he doesn't think he'd benefit from the situation.
Like I agree it isn't ideal, but who gives a damn about losing a future 3rd round pick? I would rather wait Robertson out, make him sit and eventually get him in the lineup. If some team comes along and offers an actual interesting return then absolutely. I just firmly do not believe we should be jumping on any dog shit offer for the sole purpose of "losing value" because frankly I don't care about losing that value over getting him back in the lineup.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Does his agent know what teams are offering and the leafs are choosing not to trade him? If there are offers that make sense I can see why Robertson is still refusing to sign. If there is not you would hope his agent would tell him to sign with the leafs.

Pat Brisson is his agent, one of the most connected agents in the game, if he is not aware no one would be aware. End of the day the talent at LW is so weak players like Knies, Abruzzese, Cowan, Grebyonkin, Voit and Minten could easily pass him on the depth chart if he remains a hold out. Heck Holmberg who has played 4 more career games has 4 less points, the separation between LW assets is razor thin. He apparently feels this is what is best for his career, it's his choice to make what ever mistakes he wishes.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Why hasn't Robertson signed?

Multiple times you've spoken as though you know what is happening between the two sides and every time I ask for more info you never give me any.

Hoping we can get the inside scoop that you have.

It’s CJ speculation that’s freely available:

Robertson is a restricted free agent. Shortly after the Maple Leafs extended him a qualifying offer, TSN's Chris Johnston reported that Robertson made it clear he had no intention of signing with Toronto and requested a trade.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
That's the whole point of his sitting out, in the event the Leafs can't get anything meaningful for him and he won't play in Toronto. At the very least, our competitors don't benefit.

For me the minimum i would trade him is for a 2nd. If the best we are getting offered is 3rd then he’s more valuable to the leafs.
I pegged his value similarly.

Trade for a 2nd to anybody.
Trade him out West for a 3rd.
Trade him for a 4th to nobody.

Reactions: Apex Predator

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
His only issue is the sample size.

U23 last season
View attachment 905856

U21 in 21/22
View attachment 905857

Maybe not amazing by your standards, but he is hanging with the top end of his peers.

I'll ignore the idiotic first part.

Yes, I think Robertson was mismanaged by all involved.
You find it idiotic that I feel you have the right to choose the GM you like.
Interesting. I guess maybe I should have questioned why the hell you would like a loser GM like Dubas. Is that better?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why is he still here Tre? Get a pick for him before camp opens up .. once a guy has told da whole world he does not want to be a Leaf --- "off with his head" .. no time for stupid here .. he got brutal advice from his agent and he has no path to return to team .. there is too much "I" in Nick

That's probably why he's still here, they could probably get a 4th round pick in 5 minutes but they don't want that

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Dominates the OHL
Plays amazing in the AHL
Has a higher PPG than Knies and McMann while being put in a worse position

What else is he supposed to do?

It's not strictly about points with him.

He's not NEAR good enough to go "well sure he sucks defensively, and he allows himself to get rocked every game but look at the elite offense he's provides."

That's not Robertson, that's never going to be Robertson, I'm a Robertson guy, I've said many times I think he can be a 25 goal guy, I don't want to see him traded.

But even if he stays healthy and becomes what I think he can he will NEVER be good enough to ignore the glaring weakness in his game

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This thread has ground to a halt due to a certain poster just beating this topic to death.

All for putting limits on how many times one can post a thread per day.

Will make certain posters choose their words rather than just make threads unreadable.

Thankfully NFL is back.

There is limits to how many times we can post in a thread per day?

Didn't know that, what's the limit?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Who keeps bumping this garbage thread about a garbage player. Move on for crap sakes.

Yeah, honestly an often injured undersized player with a decent shot. Not what we need to worry about if we’re contending. Get a 2nd back and move tf on

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Goofball decision for him to request a trade immediately into the offseason. What if the leafs, with a new coach who doesn't hate you, offer you the icetime you want and a fair pay, you'd still say no?

He should've cooled off. He had to have known Keefe was getting fired.

Anyway, I'd rather him sit than to get a 4th for him

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It's not strictly about points with him.

He's not NEAR good enough to go "well sure he sucks defensively, and he allows himself to get rocked every game but look at the elite offense he's provides."

That's not Robertson, that's never going to be Robertson, I'm a Robertson guy, I've said many times I think he can be a 25 goal guy, I don't want to see him traded.

But even if he stays healthy and becomes what I think he can he will NEVER be good enough to ignore the glaring weakness in his game

He was pacing for 20 last season... with good deployment, he could be a 30+ guy.

We ignore the defensive side of the game for Reaves and he provides absolutely nothing, we ignore it for Domi too but at least he provides offense.

When Robertson was on the ice they had a G% of 55%, so looks like either his offense was good enough to make up for his poor defensive play, or his defensive shortcomings are overstated.

The predictive play driving stats have him around 55% as well.

Reaves was at 31% for G%, but I am sure that he is helping the team more than Robertson.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Obsession with defensive play from this franchise (and evidently some fans) is what has f***ed this team in the playoffs for at least 5 years running. Can’t have anyone with any actual scoring talent on the ice, if it ain’t the Core 4 it’s gotta be a Kampf clone. FFS this team took out a talented young goal scorer for yet another run of the mill “safe” defensive player who turned out to be not-so-safe and also failed to score. “Robertson had 0 points” yeah while playing 10 minutes a game, most of that with Kampf clones #2 and #3.

Regardless, I find it odd how many consider Robertson to be a finished project at this stage and talk about him in such definitive terms. Most people here would still consider Knies a work in progress with more room to develop and he and Robertson are only separated by one year and have a similar number of games played and points. Granted Knies has more playoff points, but that's in four more games, most of which where he's had the privilege of playing in the top six alongside the Core Four.

Robertson has obvious weaknesses, sure. But the guy is only 23 (in 2 days), you're telling me his defensive warts can't be fixed? He's done developing that side of his game now? He can't get stronger? He did not get blown up this last season nearly as much as he did in years past. 2022-23 was a brutal year for him in that regard, I can't think of too many instances where it happened this past year. And besides it's not like he's the only NHL player ever to occasionally take a big hit. As for the defensive side, again this is still a young player and we've just brought in a coach who has shown an aptitude at getting the most out of his players and helping guys develop strong two-way play.

Like if we're going to accept Max Domi on this team with all his defensive warts we can accept Robertson who's still got a shot at escaping those bad habits. We want secondary scoring, well we've got it right here if this kid realizes he's got no leverage. A likely 20 goal, 40 point guy who's going to be dirt cheap is exactly what the doctor ordered for a team that can't score it's way out of a paper bag in the postseason. At the very least he could give opposing teams something else to think about instead of giving our opponents the luxury of keying in on the same four choke-artists and strangling our offence to death in the playoffs.

End of the day, none of this matters until he signs. Which he damn well better because if he misses even a second of training camp he's royally f***ing himself. He not only won't get traded, he'll miss out on developing important relationships with the coaching staff and he'll get lapped by someone like Cowan or Minten or Steeves or Quillan or whomever. Right now he's barely penciled in to the top 12 forwards.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sign the contract and win a spot.

Well here is some basic common sense. Why won't he do that? Does he feel entitled? What could it be? We are all waiting for the next player to cry about a harsh text from a coach or something weak. Don't deny it

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Dreger just said on first up Nick Robertson is beginning to change his mind and realize his best opportunity is in Toronto. He expects a resolution in the next few days, weeks. Sounds like he’s signing
It's over for Robertson: He's not getting his request, and he's not going to get many opportunities (due to his abilities).

;)

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Dreger just said on first up Nick Robertson is beginning to change his mind and realize his best opportunity is in Toronto. He expects a resolution in the next few days, weeks. Sounds like he’s signing
Might be his best path forward, at least if they demote him he’ll get his wish and another team will pick him up off of waivers. There’s no way he makes it through waivers imo…….

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Might be his best path forward, at least if they demote him he’ll get his wish and another team will pick him up off of waivers. There’s no way he makes it through waivers imo…….

Couldn’t agree more. If Dreger is telling the truth, Robertson’s best bet is to sign and have a good year. Score 15-18 or at least have 15 by trade deadline and he could be a piece moved if he still wants out or he gets a good contract from the leafs. Going to Europe does no one good

Reactions: rumman

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Like if we're going to accept Max Domi on this team with all his defensive warts we can accept Robertson who's still got a shot at escaping those bad habits. We want secondary scoring, well we've got it right here if this kid realizes he's got no leverage
Yeah, this exposes the double standard in the argument. Defensive ability is important, but the people blasting Robertson for his defensive weaknesses (despite his youth and ability to grow in that area) seem to be perfectly fine with the other rookies with similar defensive weaknesses, and all of the veterans we added over the past year that are complete defensive disasters. They'll advocate for Reaves being a flaming garbage pile on ice so that he can pointlessly punch a face every 30 games, but can't fathom the benefits of a team needing secondary scoring keeping one of the best shots and secondary producers on the team.

When people call him things like "little brat", and accuse others of not being Leaf fans because they support keeping a Leaf who makes the Leafs better, it's clear that some are taking it personally, not logically.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Yeah, this exposes the double standard in the argument. Defensive ability is important, but the people blasting Robertson for his defensive weaknesses (despite his youth and ability to grow in that area) seem to be perfectly fine with the other rookies with similar defensive weaknesses, and all of the veterans we added over the past year that are complete defensive disasters. They'll advocate for Reaves being a flaming garbage pile on ice so that he can pointlessly punch a face every 30 games, but can't fathom the benefits of a team needing secondary scoring keeping one of the best shots and secondary producers on the team.

When people call him things like "little brat", and accuse others of not being Leaf fans because they support keeping a Leaf who makes the Leafs better, it's clear that some are taking it personally, not logically.
I want all players to not have defensive weaknesses.

Reactions: ULF_55 and ACC1224

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I want all players to not have defensive weaknesses.
While ideal, pretty unrealistic. Not utilizing Robertson doesn't make that happen, and he's one of the ones who not only can grow in that area, but who brings other qualities that still make him a net benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad