LD Dmitry Simashev - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, KHL (2023, 6th, ARI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

6'4" Russian Defender that moves really well for his size. He is not afraid of making an impact in all three zones by being good offensively, defensively and in transition. One of the more under-the-radar players for the 2023 Draft at this point. We will see how things transpire going forward for the kid!

dyldude

Nov 19, 2019
4 KHL games played now, has looked solid every game. Limited minutes and clearly playing in a minute-munching role (as expected), but killing it in that role. Limited offensive upside, but his defense is really, really good. Haven't seen a ton of this class, but he may end up being a player to look for as a first rounder.

dyldude

Nov 19, 2019
Got ~13 minutes of ice time vs. Dynamo Moskva yesterday. Looked quite good. Very simple plays with the puck, but showed off a bit more skill than I've seen from him this year. Did really well in his own zone besides a few hiccups defending against the rush. Used his physicality more than usual. If he keeps playing this consistently well, he may just end up spending the whole year in the KHL

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I want the Ducks to get him somehow. He's exactly what our blue line prospect group is missing.

Reactions: cheesymc

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
I love this kid's game. Hasn't looked out of place with Lokomotiv, at all.

He's the human eraser at MHL level, with tons of untapped offensive skills.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
This type of player won't fall. Should be early teens or maybe even around #10.

Always have to assume some NHL teams will be wary of drafting Russians in the current climate, even if I don't think it should be a factor.

Currently, I have him at 10th. He isn't a point producing machine but I find he moves quite well with the puck, while his size and defensive play are both top end in this draft class. Seems like a cornerstone player to anchor a team's defensive unit.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Always have to assume some NHL teams will be wary of drafting Russians in the current climate, even if I don't think it should be a factor.

Currently, I have him at 10th. He isn't a point producing machine but I find he moves quite well with the puck, while his size and defensive play are both top end in this draft class. Seems like a cornerstone player to anchor a team's defensive unit.

This draft frankly doesn't look that great after about pick #7. So even with all the Russia factor added in I think Simashev still goes just after that, maybe at the top of that #7 through #15 group. He's safer than a lot of other guys in that range even after accounting for the Russia stuff. Just a guaranteed top 4 guy with all around upside.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Love his game, I think he'll go in the top 15. Here's an interview I found from last season, seems like a smart kid.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Very Very high on this player. Reminds me a bit of Sergachev with more nastiness.

Canucks possibly have 2 picks in the top 20.

I believe 1 of Reinbacher or Simashev will be a Canuck.

I dont think the Canucks are scared of the Russian factor, considering they drafted Podkolzin with a top 10 pick a couple of seasons ago.

Theyve also added more Russians in the franchise lately, Kuzmenko, Mikhayev, Gonchar ( coach)

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
Very Very high on this player. Reminds me a bit of Sergachev with more nastiness.

Canucks possibly have 2 picks in the top 20.

I believe 1 of Reinbacher or Simashev will be a Canuck.

I dont think the Canucks are scared of the Russian factor, considering they drafted Podkolzin with a top 10 pick a couple of seasons ago.

Theyve also added more Russians in the franchise lately, Kuzmenko, Mikhayev, Gonchar ( coach)

Frankly if they have a shot I'd love the Canucks to pickup Reinbacher and Simashev then look at some of the forwards in the early 2nd round.

Reactions: Buresflyingelbow

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
He seems like a really safe pick in the draft. I think that alone will lead to him going in the first round. He has NHL size and skating. I am impressed with how well he moves for a big defenseman. He’s not a dynamic offensive threat at this point and his stats in the MHL aren’t great. But, he’s clearly been playing in the KHL for a reason. He doesn’t show much in the offensive zone and seems to usually go for safe plays. But, he can get pucks up ice. You’d like to see more physicality in his game but he doesn’t need to throw big body checks to be an effective player with his skill set. He shows some flashes of potential offensive contribution, but I wouldn’t draft him with the expectation that his is going to QB your power play.

He’s big, and can move and he can get pucks up the ice. I think he’d be a tough player to pass on in the bottom half of the 1st because it’s easy to project him into an NHL line up.

Although I’d rather take the risk on Gulyayev or ASP, I think the 3rd defenseman taken should be between Simashev and Reinbacher

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Sergachyov seems like an odd comp for this player. Gulyayev seems to fit that mold more.

He (Sima) looks solid though and he’s got a pretty elite size/skating combo. Athletically speaking, he certainly profiles as one of the highest upside defenders in this draft.

I’d bet money on him falling past where he should do to his KHL contact though. Even if realistically 2025 is more than a reasonable timelines to let him develop and then get him under contract.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
He's my favorite D-man of the draft. It's great that he's big and can really move with the puck, but I also think his potential as a minute munching defensive player makes him very attractive. Could I wish he was a bit more physical, sure, but his positioning and gap control are as textbook as I've seen from a draft eligible player.

One thing I will say: he needs to improve his slap shot. Without doing so, I could see his offensive potential stunted as a non-shooting threat.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad