LD Artyom Shchuchinov - Belye Medvedi Chelyabinsk, MHL (2024 Draft)

dyldude

Nov 19, 2019
Shchuchinov on EliteProspects

Probably the best defenseman in Russia for the 2024 Draft, at least based on my viewings. Very good passer, strong defender, and moves well, just haven't seen much in the offensive zone yet, apart from simple plays.

Made his KHL debut with Traktor last season and is with the VHL team now for pre-season, so looks like he's likely to play against men for a chunk of his DY.

dyldude

Nov 19, 2019
watched his 2nd pre-season game with Chelmet and... maybe he should not be playing against men yet.

dyldude

Nov 19, 2019
Spent most of his preseason with Traktor, looking better and better each game. Played a few VHL games, as well. Played more games than most 2024 eligibles.

He's traveling with Traktor for their first four games of the season @ Lada, Ak Bars, Lokomotiv, and Vityaz

Reactions: BMann

dyldude

Nov 19, 2019
Better than Silayev?
I could go either way.

Silayev has the clear potential through his size, mobility, and activations, but his defensive game is maybe too weak right now for me to really get the wheels moving on the hype train.

Shchuchinov's KHL performances have definitely been more... boring, but he's on a much, much shorter leash with Traktor. He's a really strong passer, handler, and his defense is surprisingly strong at the KHL level. He started to play a bit more aggressively in my last viewing, moving off of the blueline slightly more and trying to carry the puck himself rather than opting for safer plays.

I don't think either are first rounders yet (the Silayev hype on here has gotten a bit crazy imho), but just based off of what they are right now, I'd lean Shchuchinov. If Silayev shows signs of his defense improving over the course of the year, it'll probably end up being him, though.

Reactions: hockey maniac

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Big year for Russian defenders. I think Timur Kol and Matvei Shuravin will be selected before him - probably 2nd round.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I hope that Montreal picks this guy in the 1st round and has Carey Price announce the pick.

Complete. Total. Redemption.
He will be very far from the 1st round I think. Especially since Montreal will pick top 10.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Went unranked by Central Scouting.

He has an advanced defensive game through his mobility, gap play, and stick work, the trio of which makes him particularly effective at defending against rush plays. But he lacks the size and wingspan to be a top-end defensive stopper. He wasn't given much of an opportunity to show his offensive game at the KHL level, but looked very responsible with the puck with largely safe passing plays. Decision-making looks good. In his MHL playoff games, he was obviously given a much larger role, and he showed a little more offensively with puck rushing plays and PP time, but I don't think he's ever going to be a big offensive contributor

I guess I can see how he could be a tweener at his size and be good, but not quite good enough to translate to the NHL.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Crazy that he went undrafted. Do we know if he got invited anywhere? Do russians get invited anymore? I guess he's a candidate for the 3rd round next year.

dyldude

Nov 19, 2019
Crazy that he went undrafted. Do we know if he got invited anywhere? Do russians get invited anymore? I guess he's a candidate for the 3rd round next year.
His agent said that there were teams interested. If he can add more to his frame there's a good chance he'll get a look next year.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The issue with him is that he’s a Russian player with projectability concerns. He’s a 5’11 puck moving type without elite tools. If he was Canadian or American, he probably gets drafted, but the country worked against him. NHL teams don’t risk it with players like this from Russia who don’t move the needle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad