LD Anton Silayev - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, KHL (2024 draft)

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
15 minutes/game is high minutes in the KHL, however he wasn't playing on the PP much anymore, so indeed not exactly in all situations.

Maybe because he was just 17 during the season and KHL is a pretty exhausting league, so he just naturally ran out of gas (he was given a week rest at the start of February, so that is kind of telling).
Thanks! The true expert chiming in.

Reactions: Caser

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You could argue that all 17 yo's need time to mature in a vg men's league, nvm a 6'7" guy that has been shooting up the past few years. Just going through those body changes is exhausting.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Not easy for a 17-18 year old draft eligible kid to play a full time season in a pro mens league like the KHL. Looks like he really needs to spend a few years growing and conditioning into that giant frame of his, especially as a defensemen. He needs to stay a few years there with Torpedo and develop into a top 4 dman in that league.
Yes, I see some discussions here and on twitter and I have an impression there are couple of things people are missing:

1. It is very unusual for a player his age to be a full-time KHLer.
2. It is extremely unusual for a defenseman to be a full-time KHLer at that age (as more maturity is demanded from them).
3. For a defenseman his age to look more than solid in the KHL is actually amazing.
4. Some extra trust from Larionov helps, but what really matters is that Silayev didn't disappoint (compare that to other talented first year draft-eligible guys like Shuravin or Shchuchinov, who also were given some trust, but weren't doing that great to say the least).
5. Silayev is a big and physically gifted kid, but he still is just a kid, who turned 18 less than a month ago.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
You will pass on Demidov - Bedard deadly combo?
I'd be concerned that they are just too small to be your two best players. Great for regular season entertainment but not a good formula for a team that wants to go deep in the playoffs some day.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think if he's on the board at #4 the Jackets can't help but take him, I could see him as a perfect partner for a guy like Jiricek. Someone that could allow Jiricek to play a more aggressive role while also having the ability to jump in as needed.

Having a LD of Werenski-Mateychuk-Silayev could give them the ability to truly roll 3 defensive pairs all game(depending on what the other side looks like)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Too small, they would get bullied in the playoffs
100 P agree, too good of D men to pass up here for them. I see Silayev or Levshunov in their future.

like point and kucherov
Who have Hedman. Bedard or Demidov are not as physical as Point and Kucherov either. Theres some great D men in this draft they need a stud back there. They get first choice.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Late first rounder at best. Career ceiling is Jamie Oleksiak

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I think it is important to contextualize the stats coming out of Torpedo, and I'm not the best person to do it, but it is clear that they do not follow a typical KHL developmental structure.

There are numerous young players that play huge minutes for Torpedo. 21 year old Konyushkyov led them in minutes and was their Captain. Artamonov scored more KHL points than Michkov last year and he is looked at like a late 1st/early 2nd this year.

Not sure if this is a rare team with a ton of elite young talent, or if they are leaning heavily on their young players because they have nobody else

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think it is important to contextualize the stats coming out of Torpedo, and I'm not the best person to do it, but it is clear that they do not follow a typical KHL developmental structure.

There are numerous young players that play huge minutes for Torpedo. 21 year old Konyushkyov led them in minutes and was their Captain. Artamonov scored more KHL points than Michkov last year and he is looked at like a late 1st/early 2nd this year.

Not sure if this is a rare team with a ton of elite young talent, or if they are leaning heavily on their young players because they have nobody else

early in the season the 2 17 year olds were playing a lot but when I saw them later in the season they had clearly dropped down. Personally I was more impressed in the 8 or so games I saw this year of Torpedo plus a couple of their games in the MHL playoffs but I feel Artamonov is underrated at HF and Silayev overrated.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Who have Hedman. Bedard or Demidov are not as physical as Point and Kucherov either. Theres some great D men in this draft they need a stud back there. They get first choice.

Point had 16 hits and Kucherov had 45 hits in 23/24. Neither are physical players.

If anything the Hawks need another stud forward. They are pretty good on D with Korchinski, Jones, Vlasic, Murphy + Del Mastro, Rinzel and Kaiser in the pipeline.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Point had 16 hits and Kucherov had 45 hits in 23/24. Neither are physical players.

If anything the Hawks need another stud forward. They are pretty good on D with Korchinski, Jones, Vlasic, Murphy + Del Mastro, Rinzel and Kaiser in the pipeline.
Watch hockey..... just a lazy argument with no depth. Both players lean on the other team. Point drives the net and forchecks relentlessly. Kucherov makes room for himself with his stick.

They need a stud d man. Another soft small forward is so hf. Even with the playoffs on right in front of you. Showing the heavy teams with big strong d cores succeed. You can't even see it.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
Watch hockey..... just a lazy argument with no depth. Both players lean on the other team. Point drives the net and forchecks relentlessly. Kucherov makes room for himself with his stick.

They need a stud d man. Another soft small forward is so hf. Even with the playoffs on right in front of you. Showing the heavy teams with big strong d cores succeed. You can't even see it.
Demidov is not soft really. Not a hitter obviously, but his compete level is very high.
Better than Michkov in that regard, for example

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'd be concerned that they are just too small to be your two best players. Great for regular season entertainment but not a good formula for a team that wants to go deep in the playoffs some day.
U wouldn't be their talent is just so exceptional that you find grit elsewhere.

That being said getting a Chara type of Dman is going to have some NHL GMs drooling.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Demidov is not soft really. Not a hitter obviously, but his compete level is very high.
Better than Michkov in that regard, for example
Not better than Kucherov though. But my main point is there are stud D men in this draft and next year there are lots of forward and the year after. D men take longer to develop in general. Theyre gonna be bad for a while. They will have lots of chances to draft forwards.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I don't really get what the argument is for Silayev over Demidov. Is he going to be the Russian Hedman? If the answer is no then I'm baffled.

Demidov has superstar potential. I don't see this with Silayev.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Bedard had more hits/82GP than either guy combined. Kucherov is not physical and neither is Point, which is what you implied. It was incorrect.

Chicago has a good young D core forming with Korchinski, Vlasic,, Del Mastro, Kaiser, Rinzel + Jones and Murphy as the vets.

Who do they have at forward that will be able to score besides Bedard? Kurashev? Nazar? Moore?

They need another scoring forward way more than another defenseman. Of course they should draft BPA regardless but your argument that they won't be able to win if they draft Demidov is ridiculously stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad