Value of: Lawson Crouse

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I like that you offered quality picks/prospects. Funnily, Holl might be the kind of player that can get you Crouse. Coyotes have next to nothing on the RHS. Demer is UFA. Hjalmarsson is UFA. Lybushkin is a #6 guy. Soderstrom is unproven. Moving Crouse for a RHD that can step in now would be worth considering.

Of course, Holl was not on your list of available players.

The Leafs main weakness (for the very longest time) is also the RHD position which has been solved (to some extent) by the growth of Holl and the Brodie signing. Unfortunately, Toronto cannot trade Holl.

I am reluctant to give up on Liljegren but he would be the RHD that is closest (in the Leafs prospect pool) to being ready to play for the big club.

If it is not a fit, we move on. Thanks for the good discussion.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Most of the Coyotes' top forwards are pretty soft, so Crouse fills a real need that would be a gaping hole if he was moved. Anyone is available for the right price but Crouse is worth more than his stat line.

Justin Barron (2020 1st)
2021 1st
JT Compher or Joonas Donskoi
Alex Beaucage or Sampo Ranta

for

Crouse
Kuemper

As an Avs fan, no way I pay that much for players who don't even fill a need.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
What combination of players/picks/prospects from Toronto would you want to make this trade happen. Here are examples of what may be available:

Robertson
Sandin
Liljegren
Amirov
1st and 2nd 2021
1st and 2nd 2022
I don't know what Arizona's specific needs are, but I don't think they're in tear-it-down mode. If they're looking for a hockey trade, I'd say something like Mikheyev. He's got more upside, but you trade that higher end skill to get the specific qualities that Crouse brings.

I don't follow either team too much, so I could really be off. Saw a couple of games in Arizona, though, and think that Crouse could be an important part of a winning team.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I like that you offered quality picks/prospects. Funnily, Holl might be the kind of player that can get you Crouse. Coyotes have next to nothing on the RHS. Demer is UFA. Hjalmarsson is UFA. Lybushkin is a #6 guy. Soderstrom is unproven. Moving Crouse for a RHD that can step in now would be worth considering.

Of course, Holl was not on your list of available players.
You know how that works. Crouse has had a slow start and lost some of his luster. Holl is emerging as cheap, young top-4 defenseman. The hype train is growing.

I actually like the proposed deal of Liljegren and Engvall for Crouse. The Leafs would have to pay Seattle to keep their mitts off him. So, there is an additional cost. Liljegren could step right in for Arizona and he's a big piece with a bright future with good value that you could sell to the fans on moving a struggling Crouse for. Engvall is money back that could outperform Crouse with a change of scenery. It's a pretty good proposal.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Why is it that Avs fans seem to have such low opinions of JTC lately? I thought he looked good when you guys were absolutely bitch slapping us in the bubble. :dunno:
For some reason he’s a 1st line caliber forward when he plays Arizona or Chicago but he’s a 3rd line ghost against every other NHL team.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Bumping this thread from a year ago for the sake of discussion.

He's now a year closer to RFA so that might have, in theory, diminished his value somewhat. I'm interested in knowing his perceived value since this team seems to be headed towards a re-boot (as indicated by shopping Chychrun).

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
Lawson Crouse + ?? for Chris Kreider?
Yeah Kreider’s gonna wave his No trade so he can play with a team that wont contend for awhile. Last 4 seasons of that wasn’t enough for him. I’m sure Coyotes are looking for a 30+ player that will be 34 when they might be ready to contend

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

He's now a year closer to RFA so that might have, in theory, diminished his value somewhat. I'm interested in knowing his perceived value since this team seems to be headed towards a re-boot (as indicated by shopping Chychrun).
His value has increased with increased playing time and production under a new coaching staff. He's still cost controlled and a leader on the young club with an incredible work ethic. Unless he asks out or someone makes a stupid offer, there's just no reason to trade him. His style of play is needed to protect some of the smaller wingers and rookies.

Reactions: hbk and Nowotny

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

His value has gone UP. Playing the best hockey of his career.

Reactions: Nowotny

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
His value has increased with increased playing time and production under a new coaching staff. He's still cost controlled and a leader on the young club with an incredible work ethic. Unless he asks out or someone makes a stupid offer, there's just no reason to trade him. His style of play is needed to protect some of the smaller wingers and rookies.

Stupid offer? If BA is shopping Chychrun, why would Crouse be off limits? It kind of seems like there's potentially going to be some turnover with players pre-dating BA possibly being moved out. Am I wrong? It seems like the writing is on the wall, which would nullify the importance of much of what you said.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Can say this about a number of teams - but the Leafs interest me (obvious bias) in terms of their plans at the deadline.

Last year was a flop (Foligno trade and the team in general) , so Dubas is likely cautious in wasting another 1st.

Lawson Crouse is someone that checks alot of boxes for me...and would be thrilled to add him to our lineup.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Before Crouse matured and they brought in Lyubushkin, team toughness was abysmal and the Coyotes regularly got ran over, which hampered the development of some of their young players. The Coyotes have done well with developing small scoring wingers because they have guys like Crouse and Bush to keep the other team honest. Their value in the rebuild may not be apparent by the stat line, but it's an integral part of the culture they are building.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Stupid offer? If BA is shopping Chychrun, why would Crouse be off limits? It kind of seems like there's potentially going to be some turnover with players pre-dating BA possibly being moved out. Am I wrong? It seems like the writing is on the wall, which would nullify the importance of much of what you said.

They traded Garland and Chychrun is not off limits it appears so your theory of him not being off limits isn’t wrong. It’s hard to argue otherwise even if that is hard to swallow if your an Arizona fan.

Your theory of his value declining is though. His game is at an entirely new level - not a shock for a high first round pick who fits the prototypical “big power guys take longer to develop” timeframe. He’s an RFA - considering his offensive numbers he’s not going to break the bank. No team is going to trade for him and not have a plan for him to fit long-term into their team structure. Him being an RFA has negligible effect on his value. Him being a terrific player showing tremendous growth who plays a very, very unique and in-demand game in todays NHL has a huge effect on his value.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
If BA is shopping Chychrun, why would Crouse be off limits? It kind of seems like there's potentially going to be some turnover with players pre-dating BA possibly being moved out. Am I wrong?
This has already happened. There are some stragglers still on the roster that need to be shipped out, but the “roster turnover” has already happened. The current lineup consist of career journeymen and young players getting their feet wet, save for a few good pieces. (Chychrun, Keller, Crouse)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad