Roster Moves: Laughton Recalled from Lehigh Valley; Blair Jones loaned to Phantoms (AHL)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Berube's moves make sense -

Wants to keep his lines together, Umberger has played with V in Columbus and it keeps Schenn with V, so Giroux can step right back in.

Second line stays together and works on developing chemistry.

Third line is a final attempt to do something with Vinnie, Bellamare provides speed, but really, not much you can do here.

Fourth line is home for mismatched toys, VV, Akeson, are placeholders until they get replaced. I don't know what people see in Akeson, he's small, average speed, not very tough, good passer but not much of a shot, like VV he'll put up good numbers at Lehigh and disappear in the NHL.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So Bellemare finally moves to left wing. Even with Vinny, that is a speedy 3rd line.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I can't wait to see Umberger torpedo Schenn and Voracek's play at 5 on 5. Meanwhile, Laughton will get 8 minutes tonight between Rinaldo and VdV, making it moronic to even have him up here.

Schenn-PEB-Voracek
Simmonds-Couturier-Read

That should be the top six until Giroux gets healthy.

100% agree.

No reason to move Schenn, who is playing well, to Center. Bellemare is more than capable of playing with those 2 guys. Voracek carries the pace of the line already anyway.

Berube may be the worst coach in the NHL right now.

The only thing he has going for him is that the team plays hard for him, for now..Once they get fed up with his terrible decision making, they will sabotage him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It will probably take Berube the whole first period to realize that putting someone who's barely NHL caliber anymore on a line with your two hottest players is bat **** insane.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Berube's moves make sense -

Wants to keep his lines together, Umberger has played with V in Columbus and it keeps Schenn with V, so Giroux can step right back in.

Second line stays together and works on developing chemistry.

Third line is a final attempt to do something with Vinnie, Bellamare provides speed, but really, not much you can do here.

Fourth line is home for mismatched toys, VV, Akeson, are placeholders until they get replaced. I don't know what people see in Akeson, he's small, average speed, not very tough, good passer but not much of a shot, like VV he'll put up good numbers at Lehigh and disappear in the NHL.

Not really. The smart thing would be to leave Schenn at wing where his future is with this team. What does it matter that Umberger may have played with Jake 3+ years ago? Since then, Voracek has turned into an elite scoring winger, while Umberger has become a guy that's only in the NHL because he's in the middle of a longterm deal.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I just hope that the GM does come out and say that "I am going to be watching him like a hawk for his mistakes" like he did with Ghost.
If anything encouragement is what a young player needs and positive correction when he makes mistakes which he will do. IMO, this elevation of Laughton puts Berube in a tight spot. He needs to put Laughton in positions where he can succeed. Does putting him in G's place do that or put too much pressure on the kid? If Laughton busts, it may be more of an indication of poor usage by the coach than anything else.

Yeah. That was creepy.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...-to-know-hes-not-a-defensive-center/19275763/

Laughton's development has been a little different as opposed to defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere. When the latter was recalled, GM Ron Hextall made it crystal clear to everyone that he didn't want the prized prospect, who has since torn his ACL, to be called up for very long. He'd rather have had Gostisbehere getting experience with the Phantoms.

"I think it's a little different," Berube said. "Laughton's had more time. I think playing junior hockey is a little bit different than playing college. It's more of a pro style. And he's played some NHL games. He's been in camp a few times and been involved. So I few it a little bit differently."

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Yeah no to Boucher. Not unless you don't mind gimmicky junior systems that don't work in the NHL.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
Awesome. Hope he never looks back.

Scott is called up because Giroux is injured. Its his cup of coffee. Unless the Flyers can jetison VLC, thats all it will be. Laughton is better served in the AHL getting big minutes v. eating popcorn half the week and playing an odd 5 minutes here or there.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
The handling of Ghosts call up was terrible. The public comments never should have made. I get that Hextall wanted to temper the fans enthusiam and prepare us for when he eventually was sent back down, but I didnt like how that was handled.

I had more of a problem with calling him up in the first place. If Hexy strongly felt he wasn't NHL ready (which he showed he isn't) he should have just brought up someone else.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
It will probably take Berube the whole first period to realize that putting someone who's barely NHL caliber anymore on a line with your two hottest players is bat **** insane.
My theory is that Berube is punishing himself for playing Umberger and Vinny too much in previous games by playing them more in the next game.

"That will show me."

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
If Berube eventually gets fired, I'm hoping that the Flyers look to the Bruins and go after a guy like Doug Jarvis. He's been an assistant long enough that he's ready to become a head coach.

As for Laughton, they should have put him between Schenn and Voracek. They could have left everyone else together. I know that the Flyers want to proceed cautiously with Laughton, but he's pretty much ready to go. Let him run with the big dogs and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that he's got some nerves and makes some mistakes.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
My theory is that Berube is punishing himself for playing Umberger and Vinny too much in previous games by playing them more in the next game.

"That will show me."

My faith in Berube has really dwindled but this is the ultimate Flyers move. They love trying to justify garbage because of their contracts &/or whatever else they have invested in them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad