Not open for further replies.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
well hopefully the Oil help their fanbase' cause by winning tomorrow

david999

Jan 21, 2011
First off, thanks for kicking Calgarys ass last night :thumbu:

Secondly ,Who did you guys have on baby Gaudreau and Monahan ? I didn't watch the game but it looks like you shut them down.

Monahan’s Line went against Matthews last night.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
First off, thanks for kicking Calgarys ass last night :thumbu:

Secondly ,Who did you guys have on baby Gaudreau and Monahan ? I didn't watch the game but it looks like you shut them down.
It was nice to beat Calgary.
Hyman-Matthews-Brown went toe-to-toe with Monahan and Gaudreau and shut them down. Babcock embraced the match up Calgary's coach wanted and didn't shy away from it. JVR-Bozak-Marner was matched up against Tkachuk's line Marleau-Kadri-Komarov was lined up against Backlund's line. The key I think was getting the puck out of our zone quick, using speed with an aggressive forecheck.
We have completely different lines by the look of it for our game against you guys, so I am curious to see who is lined up against who.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Line matching? Sorry, we're unfamiliar with the concept here.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Hyman-Matthews-Brown went toe-to-toe with Monahan and Gaudreau and shut them down. Babcock embraced the match up Calgary's coach wanted and didn't shy away from it. JVR-Bozak-Marner was matched up against Tkachuk's line Marleau-Kadri-Komarov was lined up against Backlund's line. The key I think was getting the puck out of our zone quick, using speed with an aggressive forecheck.
We have completely different lines by the look of it for our game against you guys, so I am curious to see who is lined up against who.
Arent Tkachuk and Backlund on the same line? Unless they changed things

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Arent Tkachuk and Backlund on the same line? Unless they changed things
Not sure,but you are probably right. I don't watch the Flame's much. Early in the game I know Tkachuk was head to head with Marner's line, which was intriguing, because they played junior together, but come to think of it in the third Tkachuk was out there against Kadri's line, because he and Komarov were mixng it up and Backlund was on the ice at the same time.

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006
I had a premonition this afternoon, about the Oilers going undefeated for the entirety of December 2017.

So there's that, and it means they could still lose to the leafs tomorrow.... I'd rather they beat the leafs. That's how much I hate the leafs.

Don't beat them, kick their $$$!

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

One thing is certain. Whatever matchup Babcock wants, McLellan will just let him have it. That's just how McLellan rolls.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Expected lines are:

Lucic-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Maroon-RNH-Slepyshev
Caggiula-Draisaitl-Strome
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian

Hopefully TM just lets the players play because he cant adjust in game anyway. No point McClellan thinking hes going to outsmart Babcock. Overthinking just going to lead him to worst decisions.
Lucic with McDavid is a mistake. Playing a player who kills plays and is the slowest skater is stupid.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Babcock doesn't adjust well at all - so I wouldn't count your coach out.

Matthews is also playing pretty pedestrian at the moment - speculation is he is still hurt. Marner is coming online but is extremely snakebitten. He's also a playmaker who only has one threat on his line (Matthews), and if speculation is true - that 1st line will be teethless.

The 2nd line could be an issue. JvR adds a threat around the net and Kadri and Komarov like to play a heavy, overload type style. Kadri's pretty slow, though, so your forwards shouldn't have much trouble keeping up (or blitzing in case of McDavid). I expect Komarov shadows McDavid.

3rd line is toothless. Marleau is basically a non-threat at this point. Doesn't really do much. Bozak is a liability in almost all facets of the game outside of faceoffs. He had his best game in a long time against Calgary so he might be coming online but I doubt it. Brown will tailor his game and bring a defensive presence. Don't expect much offence from this line. It has good speed but no real setup ability and the finishing from Marleau has been absent most of the year. Brown cannot carry a line and that is what he is going to have to do here.

4th line could be a problem with Nylander. His options of Martin and Moore don't lend much to the ability for setups, so it'll rely on him finishing and he's been in a horrible drought. Money is you won't even pay attention to this line much. The ability to score exists though. Having a player with Nylanders skillset hidden on the 4th could be boom or bust. Given his play lately - more likely bust.

Overall, I think your team takes it with a shutout.

Marleau is on pace for 28 goals and 50 points.. not really sure what you're talking about in regards to him. Matthews hasn't been himself but his line is still pretty dominant regardless. Less attacking of the net but the puck possession is still there.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
To all of the Leafs fans, our coaches idea of line matching is double shifting Connor at times to try to get a favorable match-up. Come to think of it I don't recall him pulling that trick off for awhile. Beyond that he just rolls his lines 1-4.

Reactions: Aerrol

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
This will be a real slaughter, Leafs are a cardhouse who will fall hard tonight! They have been outshot almost every game and Andersen has bailed them out. Will be very surprised if this one not ends up 7-2,8-3 or 10-1 Oilers, their D corps are Ahl bounded. Their big 3 are only 1 now and 2 4th liners.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
I'm going to start a "Connors better" chant.

Everyone else at the game better join in.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I look forward to Kadri and all his blatant interference he gets away with.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Tough game for us. Will depend on who scores the first goal I think. We will deflate if we go down a couple early like other posters are suggesting. Our team doesnt have the swagger to recover from that right now. We need a strong goal tender performance and hard work from all our guys to win this. That said I think the Leafs will give us some space so we can try pass it into the net like we have been the last 25 games. :p Don't be shocked if this is a 6-4 game. We can win but we need to play sharp

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
McDavid & Matthews is must-watch hockey, but not very confident on the Oilers right now. Toronto is really good this year.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
You want a laugh, go spy on the Leafs forum. They are expecting to blow us out of the building. This win could go a long way for us in the standings. Calgary Saturday night and Philly next week. C'mon 5 game winning streak!

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad