TV: Late Show - Letterman retiring May 20; Colbert debuting Sept 8 (post: 248)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
There has to be a mistake there. It was either Letterman that received it or they were referring to Conan's clause when he was booted from the Tonight Show years later.

Probably Letterman, because Conan got $45 million when he left the Tonight Show in 2010.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
But Colbert plays a character.... CBS wouldn't want the character as a host. Could Colbert be a host without his current made up persona?

I think so. Obviously he wasn't hosting, but he was still quite funny as a Daily Show correspondent prior to his show/persona.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'd also love to see Norm MacDonald hosting one of these shows, but it'll never happen. He's seen as too much of a loose cannon, and frankly he's not of the political persuasion CBS would be looking for. Nor ABC, nor NBC. They'd never get him to agree to not tell Obama jokes like all the others (and I'm willing to bet that's why Leno started making Obama the butt of a lot of his jokes, because he was being pushed out by NBC anyway and had nothing to lose). I don't know if anyone's paid enough attention to notice, but despite Obama being great fodder for punchlines, Fallon, Kimmel, Meyers, and Letterman have avoided joking about him like they'd be shot if they did. I'm sure O'Brien also has avoided telling Obama jokes. MacDonald, on the other hand, would NEVER stop, and if you told him not to do it he'd do it more just to rub your nose in it. He's also never been keen on being politically correct, another danger zone for the networks.

A hope against hopes of course. :laugh:

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Something screwy in that quote you posted...O'Brien wasn't passed over for The Tonight Show in '93...Letterman was. O'Brien was a wet-behind-the-ears replacement for Letterman when he bailed for CBS.

Conan-600x377.jpg

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
My guess is Arsenio, Colbert or Conan. Why would Ellen leave daytime for a smaller audience? Anybody but that blonde lady (Not Ellen), the one with the annoying voice

Imagine George Lopez :laugh:

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Just heard the breaking news on the radio: CBS has announced the replacement WILL be Colbert.

...which also means I won't be tuning in.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Mildly surprised to see Colbert win out, but it makes sense and does shift the show to a new, younger, demographic. It will be weird watching Colbert without his Republican shtick though. Should be a good move for the Late Show, big blow for Comedy Central, they lost both Colbert and John Oliver in the same year.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I don't know what to think of this. I just can't see him outside of his Colbert Report persona.

Vegeta

Prince of all Saiyans
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
Terrible. I was hoping they would give the reigns to Ferguson. I guess on the plus side, Colbert is still much better than that washed up Conan.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
I like both guys.
The late night wars are back.

yeah...but I'm willing to bet overall ratings amongst NBC/CBS/ABC will never return to what they were a few months ago. And Kimmel will probably be in contention to lead the pack now.

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The names people thought in the first 10 posts were unrealistic. I'm sure the under 30 crowd on the message boards will love this. Fallon and Myers are known through SNL and their SNL/Hollywood connections, NBC's late night ratings, and NBC location help them get guests and viewers. Many people don't watch cable talk shows and don't even know who John Stewart is, let alone Colbert. He looks like a scientist and is not a stand up comedian. I see Letterman type ratings that are < Fallon for this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad