Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate it | {Insert Appropriate Seasonal Greeting Here}

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Wolfs (2024) Directed by Jon Watts 5A

Sidenote: What's with this spelling of the title? Makes as much sense as Toronto Maple Leafs.
Conn Smythe explained the origin in his memoirs 'If you can't beat 'em in the alley'. When he got control of the team in 1927, he changed the nickname from the St. Patricks (which he said had been to attract the local Irish population to attend games). Smythe had been an artilleryman and later a flyer in WWI (was shot down and became a prisoner of war too). The Maple Leaf had been on badges and insignia he wore during the war. The Canadian athletes had worn the Maple Leaf crest on their chests during the 1924 Olympics, so he believed it meant something across Canada. When the new arena was built in 1931 it was of course called Maple Leaf Gardens.

There may be further details in Ripley's Beleaf It or Not.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Conn Smythe explained the origin in his memoirs 'If you can't beat 'em in the alley'. When he got control of the team in 1927, he changed the nickname from the St. Patricks (which he said had been to attract the local Irish population to attend games). Smythe had been an artilleryman and later a flyer in WWI (was shot down and became a prisoner of war too). The Maple Leaf had been on badges and insignia he wore during the war. The Canadian athletes had worn the Maple Leaf crest on their chests during the 1924 Olympics, so he believed it meant something across Canada. When the new arena was built in 1931 it was of course called Maple Leaf Gardens.

There may be further details in Ripley's Beleaf It or Not.

He's referring to the fact that it's the Leafs and not the Leaves.

Reactions: kihei

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
The grammatical explanation is that it's a proper noun.
If he was naming the team today and there was a grammatical backlash, Conn Smythe may have just called them the Toronto Maple Leaf and left it at that. Or something else but the Maple Leaf was an inspiration for him.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If he was naming the team today and there was a grammatical backlash, Conn Smythe may have just called them the Toronto Maple Leaf and left it at that. Or something else but the Maple Leaf was an inspiration for him.

Well, it makes sense in terms of names with nouns in them.

Like the Blackfoot Mountains are called the Blackfoots and not the Blackfeet.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Capture.PNG

Wolfs (2024) Directed by Jon Watts 5A

A "fixer" is called into to clean up a messy crime that has taken place at an exclusive hotel. Only minutes after he enters the room, another "fixer" appears, claiming he has been summoned to take care of the situation. They don't get along, and many complications follow. Wolfs is a vehicle of pure star power reuniting George Clooney and Brad Pitt. Unfortunately, the movie itself is kind of disappointing, never rising above workmanlike at best.

While there is some fun watching the old pros snipe at one another, despite its convolution, there isn't much of a story, nor is there any sense of urgency. Though no one else seems to have shared this thought, I found that the young cub in this movie (Austin Abrams who plays an unsuspecting accomplice) stole the show, injecting some much needed warmth and good nature into the proceedings.

It has been sixteen years since Clooney and Pitt have made a movie together, which is surprising given their comic chemistry (though I think Pitt is a lot better at it by this stage than Clooney). One would think that given their immense clout they could have come up with a more promising and wittier script than this one.

Sidenote: What's with this spelling of the title? Makes as much sense as Toronto Maple Leafs.
It's a testament to that kid that the best scene in a movie with Clooney and Pitt is this kid's long comedic monologue/ramble about how he got into the situation he's in.

• Love
Reactions: kihei

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Watched a few flicks recently that I hadn't gotten around to reviewing yet.

1727718518910.png

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - Directed by Stanley Kubrick 10/10
What can I say about this one that hasn't been said? A cornerstone of cinema and frequently listed as one of the greatest and most influential films of all time. I'm not sure how or why I took so long to watch this movie, but I finally got around to it and I am glad that I did.

I'm not going to spend much time recapping this one, as I'm sure most people will know the general gist of the film. Team goes to space on a mysterious mission with the assistance of artificial intelligence named HAL 9000. Things don't exactly goes as planned.

Hard to find anything I didn't like about this movie. The music and visuals were absolutely mesmerizing, the story was gripping, the cinematography was immaculate especially when you consider the time that the film was made. The acting was great, and just the entire overall 'vibe' of the film is just awesome. The movie didn't feel dated one bit, despite being over half a century old.

The interactions between the characters feel authentic and Kubrick's attention to detail and obsession with wide-angles, long-tracking shots, and using music to create an eerie and captivating atmosphere is on full display here. The psychedelic nature of many portions of the film, especially the end, makes for quite a mind-journey of the movie. Easily one of the most immersive film experiences that I've ever had.

One I shall be re-visiting many times, I'm sure. I would love to see this one in a theatre.

1727715074049.png

Sophie's Choice (1982) - Directed by Alan Paluka - 6/10
Very classic film about Polish immigrant Sophie (Meryl Streep) who struggles to live with and heal from her past trauma along with her her emotional and at times abusive boyfriend Nathan (Kevin Cline), and their 3rd wheel Stingo (Peter McNicol).
Having lived through hell in Auschwitz Sophie's heart is heavy with loss and heartbreak. The story shifts between the present day and her time as a Nazi prisoner, as well as recounting stories to Stingo of her family and upbringing in Europe. Stingo, being a young and naive author, tries his best to heal those around him, especially Sophie. As the film goes on and the viewer learns more and more of Sophie's history it becomes apparent how deeply traumatized that she is. The film culminates with Sophie having to make her choice, of course, which I won't spoil for anyone who hasn't seen it yet like I hadn't.

I thought it was an interesting and intense film and a decent portrayal of mental illness in observing Nathan in his various outbursts throughout the film.

Meryl Streep absolutely crushes this role. If I didn't know who she was I would have thought she was actually Polish, her accent is just perfect. I really wasn't too crazy about this film overall though. I had heard before through references about the choice, so it didn't hit me as hard as I think it would have if I had watched it going in completely blind. Still pretty impactful though.

1727715713015.png

Green Room (2016) - Directed by Jeremy Saulnier - 4/10
My wife has recently become absolutely obsessed with the studio A24 so we've got quite the list set up of films from there. The most recent we've watched is Green Room.

Green Room is a thriller/horror film which follows the story of a vagabond punk rock band "Ain't Rights" as they travel around the Pacific Northwest skimping and stealing what they can to get by, trying their best to gain some notoriety and make some cash. They get set up a gig in the middle of no where in a neo-Nazi bar. When they begin to play their anti-nazi music they clearly piss them off. When the band returns to the green room to get one of their cell phones they witness a dead body and are subsequently held hostage by the people who run the bar.

Most of the film revolves around them trying to escape from their captors by any means necessary while the owner of the bar Darcy (Patrick Stewart) tries to keep the events under wraps as much as possible.

The cast was alright, but not exactly a home run in terms of acting performances. Patrick Stewart's appearance in this film is so odd and seemingly out of place and is one of the saving graces of this film. I'm not a gore enthusiast or anything, but I really liked that they didn't shy away from showing some of the more gory scenes. Anton Yelchin was pretty good, and this was sadly one of his last films. Solid music, especially if you like punk rock. Not a particularly inspired film though, IMO.

Short little popcorn film, only 95 minutes but doesn't exactly have the depth and complexity of many A24 films.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Brody-Megalopolis.jpg

Megalopolis (2024) Directed Francis Ford Coppola 5C

The scaffolding provided for Megalopolis is elaborate: ancient Rome, Shakespeare's Julius Caesar with reference to other Shakespearean plays and staging; the hope of a Phoenix rising from ashes, Fellini's Roman imagination; Citizen Kane in terms of sheer technical virtuosity and the idea of the great man; and related to the Italian elements, the whole notion of the power of public spectacle. The story is simple on paper, basically a battle between a visionary artist who wants people and by extension society to realize its potential and a hack politician who claims to have the interests of the public in mind but actually just is too comfortable with the status quo to change in any meaningful, helpful way. The larger theme here is how can a visionary artist fulfill his potential in a society that is constantly in danger of unravelling, especially when so many thorny personal issues keep getting in the way of the artist as well. The playing out of all this is messy, weird, wildly imaginative, and, frequently, hit-and-miss or massively indulgent. If you treat this as an average movie, you may not have much fun. I sat through the thing not worrying too much about plot, but rather trying to figure out just what Coppola was trying to express about the pitfalls and potential calamities of Caesar's life and times and how they reflected the director's own sense of the impediments he faces as an artist.

So Megalopolis is an idea movie, maybe a personal narrative movie, too. However, as a movie movie, I think it ultimately disappoints. Why? First and foremost, It fails at something very basic, characterization. In his hodgepodge collection of wildly imaginative ideas and images, Coppola forgets to include believable characters to lighten the load of all this intellectual abstraction and cinematic razzmatazz. All of these characters feel like they exist only on the printed page, with no sense of depth or back story or flesh and blood. Flitting around like a butterfly as it often does, the editing doesn't always help them find a rhythm either. Coppola does a whole lot of direction in this movie, but not much of it seems aimed at his male actors, everyone of whom, save maybe for Giancarlo Esposito, seems to be floundering, making up his character out of thin air, showy gestures often replacing any believable hint of authenticity. Megalopolis ends being a flawed but audacious technical marvel--wide as a river, but half an inch deep.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad