Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate it | {Insert Appropriate Seasonal Greeting Here}

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I forgot about these debates on Don't Look Now, and I thank Osprey and Pink Mist for finding my pair of extended responses which would have taken me half a century to do so. I wouldn't change either of my responses very much to be honest--I think they represent an accurate reflection on my thoughts about the movie. However, I would like to generalize a bit on some of the criticisms, hopefully not giving offense in the process because that is not my intent.

If one doesn't buy into the believability of the characters, then, I can see why the movie would be a far from ideal viewing experience. I mean that would be the ultimate deal breaker. The main contention seems to me that John and Laura do not behave believably as grief stricken parents who have recently lost a child. I never had a problem with their behaviour; in fact, I never gave it a thought. In the first place, I don't think grieving people always look like they are grieving. I also felt that sufficient time must had passed so that the characters were at a different stage of grief--the stage where they have to start concentrating on the fact that life goes on. Thus, Venice is a working holiday, but it is also an escape from the status quo, a chance to try to achieve a new balance, a new normal possibly. But clearly Laura is still very much in the grieving process which is one of the reasons she is so susceptible to the woman with "second sight." She wants to believe her child is in some way still with her. I thought Julie Christie communicated her continued torment beautifully.

Clearly John is dealing with grief, too, but at a different stage. He realizes the need to continue with their lives, to try to heal themselves as a means to survive their terrible loss. Plus, he is a thoroughly rational, secular man. His loss in not assuaged by thoughts that their child is somehow still "there," One of the ironies of the film is that it is he, not Laura, who himself might possess "second sight" but he is too much the rational skeptic to realize it. John and Laura's love making scene made great sense to me--why would they immediately take seriously the old woman's assertion, certainly John never buys it? The love making is a sign of hope of a reawakening of the importance of each other, and indication that the relationship may possibly survive. But it is a false hope, a false new dawn. At the same time the sequence is a foreshadowing that something bad may be about to happen, something that can't be escaped. To me, the emotions created in me in these sequences were both intense, erotic, alarming, and subtly disquieting. So, in short. their grief and their way of behaving at this point in their relationship seemed thoroughly believable and sympathetic to me.

But if you can't by the believability of the characters than the technical aspects of the film, the editing and generation of the foreboding atmosphere that it creates probably aren't going to carry much impact. To me it is the "atmosphere" that makes the movie. I can remember only one film in which I felt the same sense of dread for characters I cared about, that film being McCabe and Mrs. Miller. To me Don't Look Now was a near perfect marriage of script, actors and director.

Don't Look Now is a 9B on my scorecard. I see the film as a subtle movie but not that difficult. To me, the premise is clear and well establilshed, the characters are psychologically well defined, the dilemmas that they face are a logical outgrowth of who they are, and their different reactions to the events that take place all occur in a believable context. Why not a 10? Don't Look Now is a good enough to survive its ending, but a red dwarf denouement has always seemed a little too on the nose to me.

I respect all of your opinions greatly. I am just laying out the way I saw some of the shortcomings that were mentioned.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thank you, I appreciate it. Do you have an old Don't Look Now review to post or anything else to explain to me what I missed? I know I'm fallible and sometimes things don't hit me the way they should also, so I'm curious here. I know this is one of those critically acclaimed/audience thinks lesser of it movies, so maybe it's more of a B or C level on the Kihei scale for understanding/enjoyment? Maybe the couple's reaction to their child's death felt unauthentic or they felt too unaffected on the surface most of the time for me? I don't know, I'm just throwing stuff out there now.
Man, there is nothing whatsoever wrong or lacking in your reviews in terms of fallibility or "things don't hit me the way they should." Your reviews are among the most thoughtful and insightful on this thread. I really enjoy reading them. Your self-criticism is not one any of us would ever even think of laying on you.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
More 10-pack horror movie goodness...

Texas Chainsaw 3D (2013) - 4/10

...or not so goodness.

This movie is a direct follow up to the 1974 original, ignoring all sequels. It picks up the moment the 1974 movie ends, but only does so to tack on an epilogue (this film's inciting incident). We then jump decades in the future. Our protagonist, who has a connection to said epilogue, travels to Texas with her friends. Chainsaw-fueled chaos ensues.

This is one of those situations where "less is more" would've been much better. There are so many subplots and twists in this movie, but you just don't care because of how weak the writing and characterizations are. The movie is gory, but isn't scary at all.

I would be remiss if I didn't discuss the ending. There is a twist in the final act where the movie makes Leatherface into an anti-hero type. This is after he spent the first 75% of the movie hacking up innocent people, including the protagonist's friends. This doesn't bother her and at the end of the movie she decides to live together with him. Yikes.

The Blair Witch Project (1999) - 7/10

This is a hard one to rate. The film itself isn't perfect, but this movie was a cultural phenomenon when it came out thanks to an A+ marketing campaign.

Blair Witch wasn't the first round footage movie, but it's the most popular and opened the doors for movies like Paranormal Activity and Rec to be made in later years.

As for the film itself, it definitely drags at times, but has an extremely creepy final 10 minutes.

Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (2000) - 6/10

This wasn't part of the 10-pack, but I had wanted to see this for a while and saw it was on streaming. One of the most hated sequels of all time, I found this movie to be extremely underrated.

This movie is very meta. Here, the original "Blair Witch Project" is just a movie, and the main characters go on a tour of some of the famous sites of the film, each with different motivations (fame, money, spiritual, etc.). However, things go awry, and the movie turns into a psychological thriller that explores the influence of media on society.

From what I read, the studio forced the director to film new scenes (which stick out like a sore thumb) and re-arrange some of the movie. I wish a director's cut would come out some day. Still, what we got was pretty good.

Halloween (2007) - 5/10

I hadn't seen this since it came out in theaters. I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now.

We basically get half a movie of Rob Zombie trying to humanize and explain why Michael Myers turned out how he did, followed by a second half that flushes most of that down the toilet and is basically just a trashier version of the 1978 film.

Even the little things are over explained. Michael wears a mask because he made masks as a kid. Michael got his jumpsuit by killing a trucker taking a dump. Dr. Loomis got his gun by buying it at a store on the way to Haddonfield. The movie just beats you over the head with minutia.

With one exception (Danny Trejo), every single character in the movie ranges from "unlikable" to "complete human garbage". 30 seconds into the movie we have a husband and wife throwing dishes at each other and talking about skull-(youknowwhat)ing each other. This is a movie where you don't even know who to root for.

I did think some of the scenes with young Michael at the mental institution were effective, but any sympathy we had for him was washed away when he killed Danny Trejo, aka the one person who was nice to him, aka the only non-morally bankrupt character in the movie.

I didn't think the "remake" part of the movie was done well at all. When Michael is going around Haddonfield, the film doesn't do a good job of establishing a feel for the neighborhood. In the original movie, John Carpenter gave us a really good feel of the neighborhood; we knew which house was where, and who was in each house. This added tension and dread because while we knew where the protagonists were, we had no clue where the killer was.

In this movie, it feels like a series of vignettes as Michael randomly appears in each spot to wreak havoc. There's no suspense; he just walks in and slowly kills everyone. We pretty much know where he is at all times.

To steal a quote from someone on IMDB: "overall, this feels like a redneck version of Halloween".

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey and OzzyFan

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The Card Counter. I'm sometimes hard on writers/directors who keep playing the hits, so to speak. Paul Schrader is not one of them. From Taxi Driver (which he wrote) to Hardcore to American Gigolo to Mishima to Light Sleeper to First Reformed with several lesser examples in between, the man loves to take broken, damaged men and run them through a gauntlet of punishment and/or redemption. More often than not, as is the case here, I find the results pretty compelling. As long as great actors like Oscar Isaac keep signing up to get put through his wringers, I'm probably going to still praise these intense character studies. Though things do happen in each of these, they're almost more thrillers of the soul ... inward turmoil drives the stories far more than actual plot machinations.

Black Belt Jones. If you're the type of person who sees that a movie is named Black Belt Jones and you think, "hey, I'd probably like a movie called Black Belt Jones," then you're definitely going to like Black Belt Jones. A fun and silly bit of karate-centred Blaxsploitation staring Jim Kelly. It's not a parody but everyone feels pretty aware of a lot of the inherent goofiness. Hope the foley workers got paid overtime for this. I'd imagine this was on the watch list for the creators of Black Dynamite.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Man, there is nothing whatsoever wrong or lacking in your reviews in terms of fallibility or "things don't hit me the way they should." Your reviews are among the most thoughtful and insightful on this thread. I really enjoy reading them. Your self-criticism is not one any of us would ever even think of laying on you.

Thank you, I appreciate that. And I too love reading your reviews, as I do enjoy reading everyone's reviews on here. We learn the most from other people and outside sources, not ourselves. It's just times like these, where I wish I could have enjoyed Don't Look Now like you did, that makes me a bit envious. And thank you for taking the time out to explain it to me. I love movies (as do others here obviously) and I know I am overly optimistic on some films I watch out of the pure joy I get from them, and try to overcome objective or secondary faults when watching some films. Times like these remind me of the ambiguous pictures in art, where depending how you look at something you can get a different view of it. And no matter how hard I try, even understanding how I'm supposed to look at the movie and knowing it's there, I don't think I can do it with Don't Look Now. :eek3:. I'll live though, I am a bit too self-critical at times, but I only take outside input/"criticism" as room for improvement or knowledge. I took your Don't Look Now comment as opportunity for learning and maybe seeing it different on a rewatch, so no worries there. :thumbu:

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
The Wet Parade (1932)

The evils of alcohol before and during prohibition become evident as we see its effects on the rich Chilcote family.

the-wet-parade-from-left-on-us-poster-art-neil-hamilton-myrna-loy-1932_u-L-Q1J8X2W0.jpg

I happened to stumble across this movie on TCM this morning. Basically a neat time capsule about the beginning of prohibition and the dangers of alcohol. And happy accident, a Myrna Loy sighting.

6827d2cc71c0f742f95307d00a1fcaf3ae606029.jpg

While I've seen Neil Hamilton and Myna Loy in The Animal Kingdom, also from 1932, it was a bit of a hoot to hear Commissioner Gordon call Myrna's character a tramp, as his character was struggling with blindness, caused by methanol poisoning, as she's like "nope, I'm outta here!", as he rolled down a flight of stairs, surprisingly not going "you biiittchhhh!"

She also sported a blonde wig in this one...I was fine with that. 6/10

Reactions: OzzyFan

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
COMPARTMENT_NO_6_mood_03_2VX8sXr-0cfc98a784c4.jpeg

Compartment No. 6 (2021) Directed by Juho Kuosamanen 7A

Slight but appealing, Compartment No. 6 reminded me a lot of Before Sunrise, funkier version, though. Laura (Seidi Haarla) is a Finnnish exchange student studying in Moscow and having a desultory affair with a free-spirited woman that isn't going especially well. She decides to go by train to see the petroglyths in Murmansk in the Arctic Circle. She must share her compartment on the three day journey with a Russian lout named Ljoha (Yuriy Borosov) who immediately gets drunk and intimidates her. Not too surprisingly, slowly they become closer. Strolling around in elegant, beautiful Vienna in the Richard Linklater film is replaced by a long time on the train followed by blundering about in remote, frigid Murmansk trying to find the petroglyths in winter. But the vibe is unmistakeably a kindred spirit to Before Sunrise. Opposites attract in movies a lot, but seldom with the ease and grace that they do here. There is a nice down-to-earth, unhurried quality to the story telling with just enough incidental detail to add depth to each character. Haarla and Borosov share both a nice sense of timing with one another and, ultimately, an attractive chemistry. One critic pointed out the message of the movie could be rather easily misinterpreted as "don't give up too quickly on that drunken lout who is not even aware that he is sexually harrassing you," But I gave the movie the benefit of a doubt. Pretty clearly, Finnish director Juho Kuosmanen's heart is in the right place.

subtitles

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
They Live (1988) - Fun watch and the action sequences + the aesthetic of the aliens were incredible. Easy to see why it became a cult classic: it's easy to make fun of but also legitimately well-made and its got memorable one-liners (Well, they ain't from Cleveland) and the leads are incredibly charming, both as characters and as actors. I could have come up with the depth of its message when I was seven years old but I also feel like an unchallenging premise was necessary to have film work the way it did and for the audience to go along. Something more complex would have automatically decimated the characters and whatever charm they have.

Hustle (2022) Nothing to see there in terms of narrative but I think it's a good thing the film was produced by Lebron James and Maverick Carter: The veneer works. The NBA sensibilities (so long as it's not related to the final plot point/resolution) resonate but that's about all I got out of it. I guess Sandler was pretty good. Actually, the Timberwolves' Anthony Edwards was really good as an NBA star acting for the first time. He's...solidly 2nd in the position behind Kevin Garnett.

Hana-Bi (1997) - Ran at Montreal's Cinema Moderne so it was a date night for me and my wife. Still love it. Shorter than I remembered, and it's a great film. Won't get into another gushing post about Kitano, so 9/10.

Last edited:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I Spit On Your Grave (2010) - 3/10

The final movie in the iTunes "Fright Nights: 10 Movie Collection", and I saved the worst for last.

This is a remake of the 1978 exploitation film of the same name. A female New York city writer retreats to rural Louisiana to work in peace on an upcoming book, but suffers horrible atrocities at the hands of some local men. She then extracts revenge in gruesome ways.

Because of the content, I've never seen the original, and didn't plan on ever seeing this one until it was included in the horror movie bundle. I was expecting to feel repulsed.

However, I felt something different: boredom.

The movie is so poorly made that there's no immersion here. Yes, the things happening on the screen are very bad, but at no point did I remotely believe the things I was seeing were real because of how weak the acting and characterizations were. It doesn't help how slow the pacing was. There are long periods in this movie where not much happens. I had to watch this movie in two sittings because I found myself dozing off at the mid-way point of the run time.

I don't often complain about lighting, but at all times characters looked like they were being blasted with 6000K bulbs, regardless of whether they were indoors or outdoors. The first thing that comes to mind when I think about this movie is the the color (shade) "white".

There have been many movies I haven't enjoyed that I understand why others do, but I can't fathom how this film has a 6.2 on IMDB. It's straight-to-DVD crap, through and through.

RIP Cheapo Horror Pack. You ended with a dud, but you were still worth my $20.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
They Live (1988) - Fun watch and the action sequences + the aesthetic of the aliens were incredible. Easy to see why it became a cult classic: it's easy to make fun of but also legitimately well-made and its got memorable one-liners (Well, they ain't from Cleveland) and the leads are incredibly charming, both as characters and as actors. I could have come up with the depth of its message when I was seven years old but I also feel like an unchallenging premise was necessary to have film work the way it did and for the audience to go along. Something more complex would have automatically decimated the characters and whatever charm they have.
I love this movie so much.

Edit: Also while the premise is simple, that doesn't mean it isn't salient. I don't think a message needs to be subtle to be effective.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I love this movie so much.

Edit: Also while the premise is simple, that doesn't mean it isn't salient. I don't think a message needs to be subtle to be effective.
No, it doesn't have to be subtle and I enjoyed its camp, but frankly, I'm not sure how salient it is either. It's not false but it's also, uh, I don't know, as one-way?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Cube (1997) - 7/10

Six people with different backgrounds wake up in a series of interconnected cubes, some of which contain traps. They have to work together to try to find a way out - without dying - and figure out who put them there.

Really solid low budget horror mystery that accomplishes a lot with a little. And I do mean a little - this movie basically doesn't even have props. This film leans heavily on tension and mystery to keep you invested.

There are definitely elements here of Saw (which this movie pre-dates) and Night of the Living Dead (in the sense that characters struggle to overcome a difficult problem due to interpersonal clashes). This movie also reminds me of the great video game 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. In that game, characters are trapped in a replica of the Titanic with bombs inside them and have nine hours to escape.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Cube (1997) - 7/10

Six people with different backgrounds wake up in a series of interconnected cubes, some of which contain traps. They have to work together to try to find a way out - without dying - and figure out who put them there.

Really solid low budget horror mystery that accomplishes a lot with a little. And I do mean a little - this movie basically doesn't even have props. This film leans heavily on tension and mystery to keep you invested.

There are definitely elements here of Saw (which this movie pre-dates) and Night of the Living Dead (in the sense that characters struggle to overcome a difficult problem due to interpersonal clashes). This movie also reminds me of the great video game 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. In that game, characters are trapped in a replica of the Titanic with bombs inside them and have nine hours to escape.

Weird film for me in that I've never watched it but thoroughly enjoyed reading its Wikipedia page in full. More than once.

Reactions: shadow1

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022) - 6/10

The actor Nic Cage (played by Nic Cage, coincidentally) travels to Spain at the request of a rich superfan of his (Pedro Pascal) and finds himself caught between the CIA and the cartel. What a silly, creative, meta movie. I was a little afraid that it would be an ego trip and present Cage as a legendary figure, so I was relieved that it's sort of the opposite. He plays more of a self-centered, burnt-out version of himself, with career and family issues, in need of redemption. The movie must reference just about every popular movie that Cage has done. It's fan service, but it was still kind of fun to hear him referencing his own films. I'm not the biggest Cage fan, but I found myself amused more than I expected to be. I liked the clever self-aware moments, such as when the characters are talking about elements of movies that happen to apply to the one that they're in, a bit like in Scream, but a lot more subtly and intelligently done. The overall highlight was easily Pascal, though. He practically steals a movie that stars and is all about the legend of Nic Cage. That's impressive. He and Cage have great chemistry together and the movie is at its best when the two are on screen together. The plot is a little weak and it wasn't as consistently funny as it could've been, but I still got enough out of it to enjoy it.

Last edited:

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Deep Red (1975) (subtitles)
3.25 out of 4stars

“A jazz pianist and a wisecracking journalist are pulled into a complex web of mystery after the former witnesses the brutal murder of a psychic.”
A great giallo horror mystery that is both visually and mentally striking fun from Argento. Not sure what Pranzo thinks, but I have seen it ranked #1 on many lists as the greatest giallo film of all-time. The visuals and camera work are hypnotizing, when both stagnant and moving. The prog rock score pounds at you and/or creates such eerie unease, aside from 1 scene that it feels a bit out of place in. The memorable murder scenes are grippingly intimate and chilling, which often use oozing bright red fake blood. The story is a twisty adventure with atmosphere and some sinister surreal vibes. Trauma seems to be the major theme. The build up of mystery and tension unravels excellently. And the theme of trauma (and coping a bit) resonates throughout. Of interesting note, it appears that most to maybe all of Argento’s films have english dubbing for those weary of subtitles.

Black Sunday (1960) (subtitles)
3.25 out of 4stars

“Mario Bava’s directorial debut. In 1630’s Romania a witch (and her henchman) is put to death by her brother and curses his descendants. 200 years later, she awakes from the grave and plots revenge.”
A great black and white gothic horror with a drenching atmosphere and macabre stuffed elements all around. From the start to roughly half way through the film, the chilling mood never lets up and hits some impressive peaks. The set pieces, direction, sounds, sights, and even the acting, especially by Steele and Bianchi in their villain roles, all create such a spooky world. The actions and character paths/outcomes have all the right twists and menace. The choice of black and white added to this darkness, effectively using lighting and shadows throughout. Even contains a few slightly graphic horror violence scenes, which were controversial for their time. It’s a straightforward tale of good vs evil, well mostly evil, but a very encompassing one at that. Supposedly set a standard for horror movies moving forward, especially Italian ones.

Suspiria (1977) (subtitles)
3.05 out of 4stars

“An American newcomer to a prestigious German ballet academy comes to realize that the school is a front for something possibly diabolic after strange events occur.”
A great supernatural horror giallo whose grand aesthetic and auditory aspects overcome its subpar storytelling and character building elements. There’s no question here that haunting visuals are exemplary art at times with the use of colors, expressions, lighting/shadows, contrast, glow, angles, etc. The score here gives an overwhelming unsettling vibe with its use of whispers, ancillary noises, and plethora of instruments appearingly. The movie is definitely worth visiting for those things alone, creating a nightmarish setting. That said, the script is a bit of a mess. Aside from our protagonist and the academy house itself, no characters are known beyond an introductory stage. For example, a couple characters and their dialogue feel like they exist as filler alone, with their existence feeling out of place and adding nothing to the already thin story. Yet again though, Argento creates another strong finale.

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970) (subtitles)
3.00 out of 4stars

“An American expatriate in Rome witnesses an attempted murder that is connected to an ongoing killing spree in the city and decides to conduct his own investigation into the case.”
A great giallo mystery horror that takes a twisty police detective style approach along with its theme of deception. A stylish and intriguing cat and mouse game plays out throughout the film with some very tense sequences. You can see early Argento sampling some of his notable techniques throughout. Morricone’s score explores a full set of emotions, versus constant varying levels of dread, with a mostly jazz focus with vocal subtleties and other instrumentation/experimentation. Well paced with another great surprise ending.

Blood and Black Lace (1964) (subtitles)
2.90 out of 4stars

“A masked man with a metal-claw glove stalks models at a fashion salon in Rome after the police start an investigation into the violent murder of one of the models.”
A great giallo horror “whodunit” mystery that’s stylish, moody, and includes a good script full of characters with murder motives. Its not perfect, but the quality visuals, numerous murder sequences, and the frantic scrambling/suspiciousness of the characters easily outweigh the subpar acting and script weaknesses. The anything can happen to anyone at any time vibe really pays off. The visuals, Bava has excellent color use and lightings and puts just the right touches when filming the brutal murders. Supposedly influential to the slasher genre. I might add, parts of this film could be a college class called “Dragging Bodies 101”.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Re-watched some of The Predators films. Not the Alien vs Predator flicks.

Predator-6/10. Soldiers hunted by alien with Arnie and some other 80's action cliches. No detailed synopsis needed. Not a master piece but fun dumb 80s action flick.

Predator 2-5/10. LA cop facing off against the Predator. Again no synopsis needed. Feels like I'm watching a Lethal Weapon cross over at points lol. Glover was the best part of the film. Liked Paxton and Busey basically being themselves. Personally I enjoyed it more than most critics but again I can't say it's a great film or anything.

Predators- 2/10. Mercenaries and psychopaths are transported to a alien planet to be hunted. Trying for more of the serious tone. Honestly I was bored. Not dumb fun just dull. Characters fell flat. Adrian Brody was a bad choice for the lead.

The Predator- 1/10- Plots a mess. Characters are one dimensional. Not fun or entertaining.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Solaris (1972) (subtitles)
3.85 out of 4stars

“Tarkovsky’s film about a psychologist being sent to a space station orbiting a planet called Solaris to investigate the death of a doctor and the mental problems of cosmonauts on the station. He soon discovers that the water on the planet is a type of brain which brings out repressed memories and obsessions.”
An excellent art psychological sci fi drama about the levels of human consciousness, existence/life, love, and memories. It’s ultimately a deep psychological examination on humanity with an emphasis on powerful past memories and experiences that preoccupy our brains and influence or command our lives. On that topic, the movie asks the grand question: are these emotional aspects of our mind a blessing or a curse? And a thorough examination on the subject is comprised. I won’t spell it out for you, but it’s a rewarding journey with logical yet problematic answers. There is even a short discussion on the meaning of life that is simply genius. And none of this gets into the on the surface parable of what can happen if you are alone in space or isolated elsewhere with your own thoughts, or an alien contact tale of an entity that is either psychologically attacking, psychologically compassionate, or even neutrally autonomic.

I watched 2001 recently, and I can safely say that Solaris has my vote for the greatest Sci-Fi film of all-times. It is everything a Sci-Fi film should be, as it explores the ultimate question of what it means to be human. When done well, no other genre can leave a bigger impact upon the audience.

Memories of Murder (2003) (subtitles)
3.25 out of 4stars

“Based on true events, police detectives investigate a seeming immaculate serial murderer and rapist in the South Korean province of Gyeonggi.”
A great crime drama dark comedy that fascinates with its excellent balance of honest mocking levity and seriously tragic suspenseful anguish. Extremely effective and well done. Bong at the top of his game, like here, is endlessly impressive on his ability to juggle moods while creating such depth and meaning to all of his scenes in a smooth seamless manner. He’s a masterful artist. Not to mention, add another powerful ending to his accomplishments here. There’s also great commentary on the police, the investigation/procedure, the area, the society, the small and large ideologies, desperation, and the case itself.

This is my favourite Bong film, and I love how it is a police procedure film on the surface, but it is ultimately a critique on how inept and corrupt the military dictatorship was in the 80s. One particular scene sticks out to me, which is when Song Kang-ho's policeman character had an intimate night with the nurse/ hooker, and she washes his underwear for him. I am not South Korean, but my mom had friends who went to South Korea for business around the 60s and 70s, and according to the stories than she heard, back then, because South Korea was not as rich and well-off as nowadays, it was pretty easy to find prostitutes. Since there was also a curfew under the military government more often than not, these ladies would stay the night too, and they would do chores for the customers, which included the washing of the clothes. I know this is a nothing scene, but because it matches up exactly as what my mom described long ago, it showed me that my mom likely did not make anything up, and Bong himself definitely tried to be as realistic as possible.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Cure (1997). B
There's a fine line films like these walk. That is, those that are more ambiguous, have ample amounts of visual storytelling, and don't necessarily have the most tidy progressions from plot point to plot point. Sometimes, a director is just throwing ideas against the wall with no real direction, hoping viewers will fill in meaning and intent where there was initially none. This is not one of those times. Apparently Bong Joon-Ho credits this film as having one of the biggest impacts on his career, and it's easy to see what drew him to it. An investigation of odd murders, a heavy dose psychological introspection, some brutal violence, and maybe a bit of "unseen forces" as well are all at play here.

While I would've preferred the film to end a couple frames earlier (as it stands, I think it's too tidy for the proceedings that came before it), I absolutely wouldn't mind the chance to watch it again to parse out a few more details, which for a film of its ilk, is exactly what you want. Worth noting, the theater had a Japanese whiskey tasting event before the film. I'm not sure it helped my overall ability of critical evaluation, but it certainly didn't hurt my enjoyment.

Yeah, Bong loved Cure. While I liked the overall direction, the tense atmosphere Kurosawa created and kept for the whole movie, and the idea behind the ending, I merely think it is okay. Personally, it might have been too long, because near the end, the story no longer provides any more answers, and the whole thing just drags into what seems to be a forced conclusion. I would like the movie more, if I can only understand the motive behind the main perpetrator, Mamiya, because that is the big gap that would probably help the movie make a lot more sense.

The movie is released in 1997, and that is probably the best year of the lead Koji Yakusho's long and distinguished career. Along with this one, he also appeared in Lost Paradise, The Eel, and Bounce Ko Gal, which were all note-worthy and won numerous awards. Lost Paradise, about an affair between two married middle-age man and woman that ends in tragedy, was a big box-office hit, and it struck a chord with Japanese audience, who began to question whether or not the emphasis on the appearance of a perfect marriage by Japanese society came at a great cost of personal happiness. The Eel, meanwhile, won Shohei Imamura his second Palme d'Or, which made him then only the second director to accomplish the feat. Finally, Bounce Ko Gal was another box-office hit, and I really like the rather warm and compassionate exploration of teenage prostitution that the filmmakers undertook, rather than the usual straight critical tone prevalent in media back then.

Last edited:

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I would like the movie more, if I can only understand the motive behind the main perpetrator, Mamiya, because that is the big gap that would probably help the movie make a lot more sense

Personally that didn't matter for me, especially with the bit of devil-implication from that old VHS video they watched of that first hypnosis -- I'm fine with chalking it up to a sort of "element of evil" that takes advantage of people when they let their emotional guard down.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022) - 6/10

The actor Nic Cage (played by Nic Cage, coincidentally) travels to Spain at the request of a rich superfan of his (Pedro Pascal) and finds himself caught between the CIA and the cartel. What a silly, creative, meta movie. I was a little afraid that it would be an ego trip and present Cage as a legendary figure, so I was relieved that it's sort of the opposite. He plays more of a self-centered, burnt-out version of himself, with career and family issues, in need of redemption. The movie must reference just about every popular movie that Cage has done. It's fan service, but it was still kind of fun to hear him referencing his own films. I'm not the biggest Cage fan, but I found myself amused more than I expected to be. I liked the clever self aware moments, such as when the characters are talking about elements of movies that happen to apply to the one that they're in. The overall highlight was easily Pascal, though. He practically steals a movie that stars and is all about the legend of Nic Cage. That's impressive. He and Cage have great chemistry together and the movie is at its best when the two are on screen together. The plot is a little weak and it wasn't as consistently funny as it could've been, but I still got enough out of it to enjoy it.

Someone had to be on drugs to come up with such a zany idea, but I honestly would not have it any other way. No one else but Cage can make this one work, and I am glad he just ran with it.
:laugh:

This movie reminds me of JCVD from 2008, which is also very good, but that one wanted to be a lot more serious, while this one is designed to be irrelevant and self-deprecating. Personally, I like this approach more, as I had more fun with it.

Interestingly, the actress who played Cage's daughter is actually Kate Beckinsale's daughter, Lilly Sheen. I thought she did a really good job, possibly because she knew intimately what it was like to be the offspring of a star.

Personally that didn't matter for me, especially with the bit of devil-implication from that old VHS video they watched of that first hypnosis -- I'm fine with chalking it up to a sort of "element of evil" that takes advantage of people when they let their emotional guard down.

Fair enough. I do respect the presentation, but I would like the whole thing to make more sense. That is just a personal preference.

Edit: Huh, I did not realize the site will just put two separate replies into one now. Interesting.

Last edited:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Deep Red (1975) (subtitles)
3.25 out of 4stars

“A jazz pianist and a wisecracking journalist are pulled into a complex web of mystery after the former witnesses the brutal murder of a psychic.”
A great giallo horror mystery that is both visually and mentally striking fun from Argento. Not sure what Pranzo thinks, but I have seen it ranked #1 on many lists as the greatest giallo film of all-time. The visuals and camera work are hypnotizing, when both stagnant and moving. The prog rock score pounds at you and/or creates such eerie unease, aside from 1 scene that it feels a bit out of place in. The memorable murder scenes are grippingly intimate and chilling, which often use oozing bright red fake blood. The story is a twisty adventure with atmosphere and some sinister surreal vibes. Trauma seems to be the major theme. The build up of mystery and tension unravels excellently. And the theme of trauma (and coping a bit) resonates throughout. Of interesting note, it appears that most to maybe all of Argento’s films have english dubbing for those weary of subtitles.

Black Sunday (1960) (subtitles)
3.25 out of 4stars

“Mario Bava’s directorial debut. In 1630’s Romania a witch (and her henchman) is put to death by her brother and curses his descendants. 200 years later, she awakes from the grave and plots revenge.”
A great black and white gothic horror with a drenching atmosphere and macabre stuffed elements all around. From the start to roughly half way through the film, the chilling mood never lets up and hits some impressive peaks. The set pieces, direction, sounds, sights, and even the acting, especially by Steele and Bianchi in their villain roles, all create such a spooky world. The actions and character paths/outcomes have all the right twists and menace. The choice of black and white added to this darkness, effectively using lighting and shadows throughout. Even contains a few slightly graphic horror violence scenes, which were controversial for their time. It’s a straightforward tale of good vs evil, well mostly evil, but a very encompassing one at that. Supposedly set a standard for horror movies moving forward, especially Italian ones.

Suspiria (1977) (subtitles)
3.05 out of 4stars

“An American newcomer to a prestigious German ballet academy comes to realize that the school is a front for something possibly diabolic after strange events occur.”
A great supernatural horror giallo whose grand aesthetic and auditory aspects overcome its subpar storytelling and character building elements. There’s no question here that haunting visuals are exemplary art at times with the use of colors, expressions, lighting/shadows, contrast, glow, angles, etc. The score here gives an overwhelming unsettling vibe with its use of whispers, ancillary noises, and plethora of instruments appearingly. The movie is definitely worth visiting for those things alone, creating a nightmarish setting. That said, the script is a bit of a mess. Aside from our protagonist and the academy house itself, no characters are known beyond an introductory stage. For example, a couple characters and their dialogue feel like they exist as filler alone, with their existence feeling out of place and adding nothing to the already thin story. Yet again though, Argento creates another strong finale.

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970) (subtitles)
3.00 out of 4stars

“An American expatriate in Rome witnesses an attempted murder that is connected to an ongoing killing spree in the city and decides to conduct his own investigation into the case.”
A great giallo mystery horror that takes a twisty police detective style approach along with its theme of deception. A stylish and intriguing cat and mouse game plays out throughout the film with some very tense sequences. You can see early Argento sampling some of his notable techniques throughout. Morricone’s score explores a full set of emotions, versus constant varying levels of dread, with a mostly jazz focus with vocal subtleties and other instrumentation/experimentation. Well paced with another great surprise ending.

Blood and Black Lace (1964) (subtitles)
2.90 out of 4stars

“A masked man with a metal-claw glove stalks models at a fashion salon in Rome after the police start an investigation into the violent murder of one of the models.”
A great giallo horror “whodunit” mystery that’s stylish, moody, and includes a good script full of characters with murder motives. Its not perfect, but the quality visuals, numerous murder sequences, and the frantic scrambling/suspiciousness of the characters easily outweigh the subpar acting and script weaknesses. The anything can happen to anyone at any time vibe really pays off. The visuals, Bava has excellent color use and lightings and puts just the right touches when filming the brutal murders. Supposedly influential to the slasher genre. I might add, parts of this film could be a college class called “Dragging Bodies 101”.

In the fall of 2019, I spent a month or so watching every Argento movie I could find in chronological order. I had seen some of them (including Deep Red many times), but I hadn't seen The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, which was first on the list of this escapade.

Great, great movie. The twist got me hook, line, and sinker. I would need to re-watch it again to confirm, but I think it's my personal favorite of Argento's work.

Naturally I rewatched Suspiria during that marathon. I hadn't seen it since I was a teenager, and late one Friday night I fired it up on my brand new projector.

At the time, I living alone in a three story condominium, and was watching the movie on the second floor. The first floor only contained a small hallway with a circuit breaker, the front door, and another door leading to the garage. The second floor wall that I was projecting onto was next to the landing of the first floor's extremely lengthy staircase.

The movie wrapped up after midnight, and I was thoroughly creeped out. I hadn't remembered being so scared by it when I saw it earlier in life, but that night it got to me.

Little did I know, my feeling of unease was about to be dialed up to 100.

As Suzy runs out into the rain at the film's conclusion, suddenly....BOOM - my power blows out. The already dark room becomes black as death.

Because I was a tired due to the late hour (I was actually laying on the couch rather than sitting at this point) and startled by the room suddenly going dark, I wasn't in my right mind; I wasn't sure what the hell had happened. My mind began to race. Instead of coming to the obvious conclusion that my power had gone out, my brain came up with a different one:

Someone - or something - had gotten into my house, blown the circuit breaker, and was coming up for me.

The power couldn't have been out for longer than three seconds. Upon it returning, the projector restarted by itself, giving me enough light to see what was happening. Paralyzed with fear, my gaze became fixated on the staircase landing, which was to the immediate left of the screen. In my delirious state, I fully expected a Witch to run up the stairs and commit unspeakable acts of violence against me.

The night ended without incident.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Manhattan Melodrama (1934)

f6d9b3e4b7a3c24d1ab05cb6cb7d505f.png

The friendship between two orphans endures even though they grow up on opposite sides of the law and fall in love with the same woman.

aka: Everyone Loves Jim

Overall, I really liked the performances from the leads, in particular Clark Gable. Which honestly surprised me, as I have generally struggled to 'get' him. But he was very good here.

However, just too many contrivances and conflicts of interest from my observation, in particular from William Powell's character, acting as the DA in the murder case of his childhood friend (Gable). And then said DA is elected governor, and then even has a chance to commute the death penalty (or not).

And the wife (Myrna Loy) of the DA/governor and former flame of said childhood friend basically withholding evidence of knowing the motive of the murder...I would think that would be a big deal, but the movie just hand waived it away at the end.

What.

I just could not see that realistically happening in real life, and it broke my suspension of disbelief.

6/10 because I really did enjoy the acting, but ugggh dumb plot dumb.

Reactions: OzzyFan

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The Last Duel

with Matt Damon, Adam Driver, a disconcertingly blond Ben Affleck, the chick who played Villanelle in Killing Eve, and other people.

France, late 1300's. The #metoo movement is centuries away from being a thing, but some bad shit's going down. There are 2 main guys and one girl in the story: Jean (Damon), Jack (Driver), and Marge (Killing Eve chick). Blond Ben Affleck's around too, having been left unattended at Matt Damon's place one day, apparently. We see three different narratives; one for each of the main characters. Jean and Jack are French knights fighting for the king, they save each other's lives, but later have a falling out over local politics and money. Jack later rapes Jean's wife Marge one day when Jean's out of town, then lies about it to everyone. Dueling and every single tedious rape/sexual assault trope from the last thousand years happens.

Director Ridley Scott made this, watched it fail, then moaned about millenials and cellphones. Yeah, right. I'm sure it had nothing to do with it recycling literally every single macho rape/sexual assault trope from forever. Did you lead him on? Were you dressed inappropriately? I don't need to rape anyone, I get lots of chicks! No one will believe you anyway! It happened to me when I was young, I didn't say anything! Your lips say no, your eyes say yes! Etc etc etc. It does three long sequences, supposedly from three different points of view...but it totally fails because all three sequences SAY THE SAME DAMN THING. There's never any doubt at all. There's zero suspense because there's zero doubt. Even in the rapist's version he's still unequivocally a rapist. Tension? Gone. Along with two and half hours of your life. Not even French orgy scenes can save it, that's how tedious and boring it is.

It's really sad how Terry Gilliam can't find work but people will still give Ridley Scott big, honking dumpsterfuls of money to make movies even after Prometheus and Covenant. But that's the world we live in. Kinda the moral of the story.

49163445-10091695-They_had_once_been_good_friends_but_on_a_cold_winter_s_day_in_De-a-2_1634208963464.jpg

Not pictured: the worst mullet ever.

*Edit* Mrs. PC just called it a 3 hour medieval Law and Order episode. About as succinct as it gets.

Last edited:

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I find Ridley Scott completely hit or miss. He's both made some of my favorite movies, but also some of my most hated, and some of those movies are in the same universe (Alien -> Prometheus).

The only thing I feel that he can usually do well is that his movies look good.

Reactions: shadow1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad