Maple Leafs hire Craig Berube as head coach and Lane Lambert as associate coach

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Shanahan's description was telling on how he wants to run an organization. He mentioned he talked to players that played under Berube and how he got along with all types of players, euro, NA, ect...he was a players coach. To me being a President of Hockey is about winning, not about players liking a Coach. It follows a pattern with him about entitling, coddling and placating to his players and in particular his core. If I was a fan of a team, I would care less if the players like a coach, it's all about winning, and if that means being uncomfortable being a player, so be it. It seems Shanahan has not learned his lesson in 10 years as a President for the Leafs.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
They need a retool as much as they need a new coach if not more. Keefe is blah. Berube should be an upgrade, though he's not a guarantee. Not many teams win cups with their D and goaltending make-up. I think they'll still be a tier below the true contenders like they always are.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
  • Dick Irvin ('32 Leafs, '44, '46, '53 Canadiens)
  • Tommy Gorman ('34 Hawks, '35 Maroons)
  • Scotty Bowman ('73 Canadiens, '76-'79 Canadiens, '92 Penguins, '97-'98 Wings, '02 Wings)
Here are the coaches who have won with multiple teams. Suprised its only three guys, but more prove that the Stanley Cup is really hard to win, especially multiple times.

This is all that needs to be said in any coach hiring thread.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Jesus f***ing Christ I’m so sick of hearing about the f***ing Leafs

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
This hiring is obviously a step in changing the culture of the team. The interesting thing will be if the star players get onboard and push themselves to be parts of a winning team, or revolt and develop a rift between players and coach.

I guess it will depend if they truly want to win or value personal achievements?

These narratives always make me laugh and shake my head. What could Berube ask of Matthews to do he isn't doing? He is a fully complete player, nominated for the Selke blocks tons of shots, hits, forechecks like the best of them in the league while being absolutely elite offensively (without being a PP merchant).

There is not some fundamental problem in Toronto. There was when Shanny and Babcock came in and it was fixed. The roster needs a tweak, that is not debatable. But a small retool is a lot different than the claims of this.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
  • Scotty Bowman ('73 Canadiens, '76-'79 Canadiens, '92 Penguins, '97-'98 Wings, '02 Wings)
Here are the coaches who have won with multiple teams. Suprised its only three guys, but more prove that the Stanley Cup is really hard to win, especially multiple times.
It’s probably the same with other sports. Baseball has five managers to win the World Series with two different teams: Bill McKechnie, Bucky Harris, Sparky Anderson, Tony LaRussa and Bruce Bochy.
No NFL coach has won Super Bowls with two different teams although Weeb Ewbank won one with the Jets and two titles with Baltimore in the 1950s before the AFL existed

NBA has Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, and Alex Hannum

I suppose Berube has a decent shot of winning with the Leafs. They do have some talent. But hiring a coach with a ring doesn’t automatically translate into a parade

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Unless the roster imbalance is changed up, this is equivalent to switching captains on the Titanic.

Yikes.

This is always the response. Did you want them to come out and announce 50 changes at once 2 weeks after the season ends?

They've made it clear every time they have spoke to the media there will be changes to the core

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
These narratives always make me laugh and shake my head. What could Berube ask of Matthews to do he isn't doing? He is a fully complete player, nominated for the Selke blocks tons of shots, hits, forechecks like the best of them in the league while being absolutely elite offensively (without being a PP merchant).

There is not some fundamental problem in Toronto. There was when Shanny and Babcock came in and it was fixed. The roster needs a tweak, that is not debatable. But a small retool is a lot different than the claims of this.
You’re totally, right. I mean getting very little out of the core 4, year after, year in playoffs is not an issue at all.

Small tweaks should do it I’m sure…

Reactions: The Expert

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Tough to say really. Willy’s fine but soft. I think Auston has another level to hit still, if he can ever get over the performance anxiety of playing in Toronto. Marner doesn’t have the playoff genes, he is what he is. And Tavares is so regressed there’s probably no coach saving him.

Well, yes and no. In the OHL : in 33 games, 28 goals, 42 assists, 2.12 ppg, +39, OHL Champion, MemCup champion, Playoffs MVP...
In the NHL he is 0.88 ppg, 50 in 57, not amazing, haven't elevated his game, however, 0.88 ppg isn't shit, nor is it bad, nor is it even mediocre,
its good, but obviously not good enough.. although, in 3, he has been over ppg; 14 in 11 (23), 8 in 7 (22), 9 in 7 (18).

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Well, yes and no. In the OHL : in 33 games, 28 goals, 42 assists, 2.12 ppg, +39, OHL Champion, MemCup champion, Playoffs MVP...
In the NHL he is 0.88 ppg, 50 in 57, not amazing, haven't elevated his game, however, 0.88 ppg isn't shit, nor is it bad, nor is it even mediocre,
its good, but obviously not good enough.. although, in 3, he has been over ppg; 14 in 11 (23), 8 in 7 (22), 9 in 7 (18).
Yup. Leafs will definitely take a step back if they let Marner get away. Losing him will take a couple bullets out of Berube’s six shooter.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
You’re totally, right. I mean getting very little out of the core 4, year after, year in playoffs is not an issue at all.

Small tweaks should do it I’m sure…

Not even arguing in good faith anymore. I am yet again reminded why I take summers off this site

Reactions: Lilou

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
It's the coaches fault their 11 million dollar athletes don't perform.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

That is shocking.....and only one coach post 06 era.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Not even arguing in good faith anymore. I am yet again reminded why I take summers off this site
When you start off by saying someone’s point of view is laughable, you were never posting in good faith to start with.

I also didn’t know we were “arguing” either. Just because we see things differently doesn’t mean it’s an argument. Sharing opinions is purpose of the boards BTW.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

NBA has three and MLB has two repeat winning coaches/managers each. NFL has zero.

It's hard for one coach/manager to win multiple times in any sport.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Leaf fans as victims is such a tiresome trope.

The League is out to get them; the referees are against them; the Department of Player Safety is against them; the Commissioner doesn't want them to succeed and all of HF Boards shits on them.

Poor Leaf fans! What's next?

There's no victim, just reality of being a Leafs fan. Putting your head in the sand doesn't change that my friend. The Leafs cannot succeed no matter what for a specific vocal group of people on HFB.

"Hyman is a roll player" how's he viewed now?
"Berube is a great coach" Now he is the benefactor of a great goalie
"Keefe is Garbage". Let's see how he's viewed in NJ

The long list of about faces is as long and detailed. There's no victim, just what has happened repeatedly, so put the dog whistle away.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
As a Blues fan, I’ll give my opinion of Chief.

He’s a good coach. Didn’t deserve to be fired but he’s also a much better coach for a good team that needs to take a step to the next level than a rebuilding team so I can see why the Blues changed directions.

He’s a very good motivator. Doesn’t mince words. Gives it to you straight. Isn’t a rah rah pat you on the back players coach but he’s also fair and while he can be brutally honest, he isn’t mean about it.

As stated above, he could really use a good Xs and Os assistant. The Blues were noticeably a mess when Jim Montgomery left to take the Bruins job. He’s not bad at it but he’s more the big picture guy so needs others to be the details guys.

If I’m being honest, I don’t think he’s a great fit for the TML. I think he’d be a fine coach there but his brutal honesty in press conferences is bound to get way overblown by the Toronto media on numerous occasions. But then again, he will not give a flying F about it so maybe he’ll be fine as long as any verbal faux pas (perceived, real or otherwise) doesn’t impact the players.

If I was him, I would’ve pursued the NJ job instead but then again, the Leafs can absolutely back up a Brinks truck to his house and that’s hard to turn down.
Isn't this what the Leafs are looking for?

I just want someone who wants us to assert our will, instead of being reactive.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

Score more than 1 goal in a round.
Score on the PP, as he did in the regular season.

The 3 younger members of the core, were all hurt or coming off injuries, Marner too.

Reactions: Lilou

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad