Larry Robinson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Heard radio interview other day with Larry Robinson. A few of the tidbits:

How he's been? Robinson stated he's had several operations on the veins in his legs this summer. After 20 years of lacing up his skates tight it damaged the valves in his feet. The blood could pump down but not back up. His ankle would swell double normal size.

On being drafted? At 20 Larry said he was married with a kid. He had part time minimum wage job and made $60 a week playing junior hockey. Between the two jobs he made $130 a week. A big night out was a hamburger and bottle of Baby Duck.

He wasn't eating right nor had time to train right. His first year turning pro with Vogeaguers his weight jumped from 194 to 210 pounds. Added 15 pounds of muscle. Made big difference in his game.

Memories his first NHL game? He was called up January 8/73. Nova Scotia coach Al MacNeil told him to get over nervousness hit the first player he could. He would get right into the game. His first shift Robinson seen Bob Nevin coming up the wing and hammered him. It worked butterflies were gone.

His first playoff goal? It was against the Flyers in '73. Montreal first series against the Sabres, Scotty never dressed him. Robinson was part of the Black Aces. Floyd Curry skated the heck out of them. It was killing him. He played Game 2, in overtime, he picked puck up behind Habs net and went to pass to Big M. Who told him to go! He skated over Flyers Blueline and let it go. It beat Favell and secure his roster spot. No more Black Aces he said.

How he got nickname Big Bird? It was after first game against Flyers in '76 Finals. Serge Savard was doing interview and they asked him about Flyers and all the nicknames they had. Battleship Kelly, Hammer, Moose and Big Bird who was Don Saleski. Serge goes we have our own Big Bird here in Robinson. It stuck!

How he left Habs? Montreal was signing him to one year contracts. Players were getting security. LA offered 3 years. The third year if he wanted to retire they would still pay him half. He took offer to Montreal but Serge said he couldn't match it. So, Larry became a King.

Greatest player he ever played with? Larry Robinson said Guy Lafleur

Best team he ever seen? The '77 Canadiens.

He said a lot about preseason battle with Flyers in '75. But I don't have time to type it out.

Last edited:

B1g B1rd

Habs Best Def of all times
May 21, 2018
Big Bird is my favorite player of all times...
Best total pts for Mtl Canadiens defensemen - 883 pts - 311 more than Guy Lapointe who is 2nd
See my avatar... taken from a photo he autographed for me years ago.
Da best!

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
I was so blessed to have lived the entire 70's dynasty! No team in NHL history has ever had 3 D of that caliber.
They won 6 cups in the 70's...damn it was fun!
I was fortunate enough to be a teenager involved in minor hockey during that special decade! The unfortunate part is I didn’t think our team was extra special, lol. I believed every decade would be the same. I was really happy to win in 86……the Oilers were a real threat to match our 5 in a row.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I was fortunate enough to be a teenager involved in minor hockey during that special decade! The unfortunate part is I didn’t think our team was extra special, lol. I believed every decade would be the same. I was really happy to win in 86……the Oilers were a real threat to match our 5 in a row.
If Calgary doesn't upset Edmonton they would have been a formidable opponent. Same thing in 93 when the Islanders shocked the Penguins.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I was so blessed to have lived the entire 70's dynasty! No team in NHL history has ever had 3 D of that caliber.
We were lucky, or spoiled. Lol

We witnessed the premier years of one of best sports franchises. Up there either Yankees and Celtics.

Habs won 6 cups in 9 years during 1970s. Actually 8 Cups in 12 years. From 1968-1979. With basically two different teams. Had the Jean Beliveau, Big M, Pocket Rocket, JC Tremblay Toe Blake group. Then second half it's was Scotty and the Big Three, Lafleur, Dryden group.

With Danny Gallivan broadcasting. Roger Doucet opening every game. To top it off.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Robinson, was in my opinion, the best player on those dynastic teams of the 1970s. And probably the best player in the league after Orr's decline. Those teams could have won without Lafleur. No way they would have won without Robinson.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

1974 vs. the Broadstreet Bullies... not for the faint of heart, but what a beauty!

I actually watched the 2-2 tie game against Philly on a Sunday. I remember Savard getting a major for a crosscheck to the face of a Flyer, Schultz sucker punching John Van Boxmeer and Big Larry schooling Dave Schultz. Robinson became my favorite Hab after that beat down

kyne

Oct 24, 2007

We witnessed the premier years of one of best sports franchises. Up there either Yankees and Celtics.

Habs won 6 cups in 9 years during 1970s. Actually 8 Cups in 12 years. From 1968-1979. With basically two different teams. Had the Jean Beliveau, Big M, Pocket Rocket, JC Tremblay Toe Blake group. Then second half it's was Scotty and the Big Three, Lafleur, Dryden group.

With Danny Gallivan broadcasting. Roger Doucet opening every game. To top it off.
The years '68 to '79 were simply amazing. The sheer number of great players. That '71 team was the end of an era for sure. Perhaps the most exciting playoffs I've ever seen. Robinson arrives the following year as does Lafleur.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Heard radio interview other day with Larry Robinson. A few of the tidbits:

How he's been? Robinson stated he's had several operations on the veins in his legs this summer. After 20 years of lacing up his skates tight it damaged the valves in his feet. The blood could pump down but not back up. His ankle would swell double normal size.

On being drafted? At 20 Larry said he was married with a kid. He had part time minimum wage job and made $60 a week playing junior hockey. Between the two jobs he made $130 a week. A big night out was a hamburger and bottle of Baby Duck.

He wasn't eating right nor had time to train right. His first year turning pro with Vogeaguers his weight jumped from 194 to 210 pounds. Added 15 pounds of muscle. Made big difference in his game.

Memories his first NHL game? He was called up January 8/73. Nova Scotia coach Al MacNeil told him to get over nervousness hit the first player he could. He would get right into the game. His first shift Robinson seen Bob Nevin coming up the wing and hammered him. It worked butterflies were gone.

His first playoff goal? It was against the Flyers in '73. Montreal first series against the Sabres, Scotty never dressed him. Robinson was part of the Black Aces. Floyd Curry skated the heck out of them. It was killing him. He played Game 2, in overtime, he picked puck up behind Habs net and went to pass to Big M. Who told him to go! He skated over Flyers Blueline and let it go. It beat Favell and secure his roster spot. No more Black Aces he said.

How he got nickname Big Bird? It was after first game against Flyers in '76 Finals. Serge Savard was doing interview and they asked him about Flyers and all the nicknames they had. Battleship Kelly, Hammer, Moose and Big Bird who was Don Saleski. Serge goes we have our own Big Bird here in Robinson. It stuck!

How he left Habs? Montreal was signing him to one year contracts. Players were getting security. LA offered 3 years. The third year if he wanted to retire they would still pay him half. He took offer to Montreal but Serge said he couldn't match it. So, Larry became a King.

Greatest player he ever played with? Larry Robinson said Guy Lafleur

Best team he ever seen? The '77 Canadiens.

He said a lot about preseason battle with Flyers in '75. But I don't have time to type it out.
As a teen, I was waiting for the bus near the Forum in the early 80s, the one to the West Island (before CTCUM integration). School had just started (Marianopolis CEGEP), like September. Robinson was coming to the Forum door on Atwater with a tray of coffees and donuts, and I was too star-struck to open the door for him. One of my all-time epic fails. :skeptic:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Robinson, was in my opinion, the best player on those dynastic teams of the 1970s. And probably the best player in the league after Orr's decline. Those teams could have won without Lafleur. No way they would have won without Robinson.

Not in 1979!

And that's why he was legendary.

Lafleur straight up stepped up and saved the dynasty with 2 min to go.

That was his role and he delivered. The other cups were winnable regardless. When the heat turned up it was Lafleur who scored the big goal.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
As a teen, I was waiting for the bus near the Forum in the early 80s, the one to the West Island (before CTCUM integration). School had just started (Marianopolis CEGEP), like September. Robinson was coming to the Forum door on Atwater with a tray of coffees and donuts, and I was too star-struck to open the door for him. One of my all-time epic fails. :skeptic:
Forum
Atwater metro..
lionel groulx..
211 bus..
West island

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
We all have those brain cramps from time to time.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Habs won 19 Cups over a 25-year span from mid-1950s to 1979

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This was the most amazing time as a habs fan............we were kids, and nothing was better than heading to school with your buds, and the habs just won all the time....

Robinson was an insane machine of a player.....just loved this guy.
Lafleur got the accolades, but my favorite players of that time, were Dryden, Robinson, and Lemaire.

I saw Larry play live in halifax with the Vees, he was larger than life to this 10 year old. The Vees won b2b Calder Cups, it was a great time, this ultimately led to 6 Stanley Cups in 8 years..........

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
The John Wayne of hockey, a leader that always seemed to do the right thing. I remember near the end of his career a series the Hab's lost, they had played the heck out of him and with less than a minute to play there was a break in the action. I remember Larry sitting on the ice in exhaustion for it and thinking how out of character it for this warrior, it finally hit me then, that he was nearing the end of hockey for himself. He was and is a man.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He became an excellent coach and it still pisses me off that we never brought him back to be on our staff in the 90s/2000s. He would have done it in a minute too, he was always publicly very open to it. We missed such an opportunity there, if only to have the players be around such a legend and learn from him.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He became an excellent coach and it still pisses me off that we never brought him back to be on our staff in the 90s/2000s. He would have done it in a minute too, he was always publicly very open to it. We missed such an opportunity there, if only to have the players be around such a legend and learn from him.
Bergevin had a chance to hire him but didn't want a Habs icon around to make him look bad.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
The John Wayne of hockey, a leader that always seemed to do the right thing. I remember near the end of his career a series the Hab's lost, they had played the heck out of him and with less than a minute to play there was a break in the action. I remember Larry sitting on the ice in exhaustion for it and thinking how out of character it for this warrior, it finally hit me then, that he was nearing the end of hockey for himself. He was and is a man.
Beautiful post.

I had the privilege of watching all the great Montreal players since the mid 1950s. I would remind all the youngsters here that old age is not a privilege granted to everyone. If I had to name my all -time great, 'first team' Montreal team, Robinson would be my first choice ( along with Chelios) on defence. And Lafleur would be my choice for right wing, for those who I may have offended by my earlier post.

I have many memories of Robinson, but two stand out. The first was when many of us fans' had our first glimpse of Robinson's play. It was in 1972, when, in what was a true rarity in those years, we had an opportunity to watch a Montreal mid-week, away game. The Canadiens were playing the Minnesota North Stars and Robinson had just been called up from the Nova Scotia Voyageurs. That game was a revelation. We saw a tall young defenceman dominate play with his great skating, mobility, skill and size. All my friends I talked to after that game had the same excited expression: What the hell was that? ( We didn't use the word hell) It was obvious (or should have been) to anyone with a modicum of knowledge of the game, that Robinson was a rare talent who was going to be great, if not a dominant player for Montreal. And nothing he did or accomplish for the following decade plus changed our initial impression. Robinson was a highly skilled payer, a great skater, a true warrior, a physical beast and a respected leader. He was truly a generational talent.

Oh, the other top memory? Robinson's open ice check on Anton Stastny in the 1985/1986 playoffs. Hardest check I have ever seen. My teeth still hurt thinking about it.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Him talking Tiger Williams down from basically assaulting an official with all the Leaf players around him has always stuck with me. The fact that he was so globally respected that he could just cross the team lines and diffuse an explosive situation with his presence alone like that is incredibly impressive. That's leadership personified.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLNY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad