Injury Report: Larkin out Remainder of the Season

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Good news, hope he will be ready for next season, and can we get seat #7 please

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You're still pretending this Wings are busting their ass out there? Even after getting outscored 10-1 this weekend?

I have a coworker that says "if your thought process is defective, the harder you think the more wrong you are."

Well, that pretty much sums up the hockey IQ of 3/4 of this team. They can try as hard as they want, they'll still fail. Walman working the puck backwards in his own zone and giving the puck away pretty much clinched it for me.

The 2 players with high hockey IQ are both rookies and they just look worn out. Maybe Blash should've managed their ice time better, and he certainly should've kept Larkin from PK, but I don't think he's lost the team at all. Just overused his good players, that happens with a crap roster.

Reactions: Bench

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I get why he continued to play through it, but if you’ve been too banged up to practice for weeks at a time, you’ve long been too banged up to play actual games.
I get the sentiment here, but this logic flies in the face of the history of actual NHL hockey and how these things often play out. Again, there are plenty of cases where guys don't practice but they still play, whether that's because they only have enough juice for a game every couple days and nothing more, or because they are in significant pain and are not at risk of making the injury worse by playing games (which are of course more important than practices, just ask Allen Iverson). And then if we're talking about playoffs, there's Brent Gilchrist nightmare scenarios.

Reactions: sepster

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I have a coworker that says "if your thought process is defective, the harder you think the more wrong you are."

Well, that pretty much sums up the hockey IQ of 3/4 of this team. They can try as hard as they want, they'll still fail. Walman working the puck backwards in his own zone and giving the puck away pretty much clinched it for me.

The 2 players with high hockey IQ are both rookies and they just look worn out. Maybe Blash should've managed their ice time better, and he certainly should've kept Larkin from PK, but I don't think he's lost the team at all. Just overused his good players, that happens with a crap roster.

Can't lose what you never had.
Blashill has never had this team. Dating back to the old days when the Swedish mafia held meetings without him and instructed players to ignore what he says,

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't get the reasoning he hasn't. I get yzerman said they wanted a playoff push in GR and so he knows where he's playing. Now there is what 6 games left? We aren't looking to win any games here so give him a taste to see how he handles it. On a different topic and serious question but has Raymond ever played center before?
2 games against NJ

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I get the sentiment here, but this logic flies in the face of the history of actual NHL hockey and how these things often play out. Again, there are plenty of cases where guys don't practice but they still play, whether that's because they only have enough juice for a game every couple days and nothing more, or because they are in significant pain and are not at risk of making the injury worse by playing games (which are of course more important than practices, just ask Allen Iverson). And then if we're talking about playoffs, there's Brent Gilchrist nightmare scenarios.
I am not a doctor and I am not implying this is the case with Larkin to be clear.

But in terms of guys traditionally playing games and not practicing, it is usually because of the actual pain medicines these guys are taking to get up for games. This according to a few people I have known around it. Now there are enough horror stories about toradol that you hope the league is distancing themselves from it, especially after what happened with Kesler but that also sums up this behavior. Yeah they can gut it out for a game, they also by in large have access to things that help them do just that and they aren't taking that for off day practice.

I think we have the stats on how many games Larkin has played. But he has also played banged up hockey a decent amount of his career. It is kind of his style and I think his ability to go through that is huge. I am glad to see them sit him here though, he looked obviously injured lately and with us nowhere near the playoffs the time to shut him down was a few weeks ago honestly. I wish him a speedy recovery.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
When do we start calling Larkin injury prone? You can pretty much pencil him in to miss at least 10 games a season at this point.

I'm assuming he has been playing on this injury and would have continued to do so if we were in playoff contention. Why wouldn't you find any reason to sit him out given the current circumstances.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I am not a doctor and I am not implying this is the case with Larkin to be clear.

But in terms of guys traditionally playing games and not practicing, it is usually because of the actual pain medicines these guys are taking to get up for games. This according to a few people I have known around it. Now there are enough horror stories about toradol that you hope the league is distancing themselves from it, especially after what happened with Kesler but that also sums up this behavior. Yeah they can gut it out for a game, they also by in large have access to things that help them do just that and they aren't taking that for off day practice.

I think we have the stats on how many games Larkin has played. But he has also played banged up hockey a decent amount of his career. It is kind of his style and I think his ability to go through that is huge. I am glad to see them sit him here though, he looked obviously injured lately and with us nowhere near the playoffs the time to shut him down was a few weeks ago honestly. I wish him a speedy recovery.
I could be wrong and hope i am but weren't the Wings one of the teams that waa accused or one of the players saying that wings doctors pushes the pain meds hard?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I could be wrong and hope i am but weren't the Wings one of the teams that waa accused or one of the players saying that wings doctors pushes the pain meds hard?
Kyle Quincey admitted to using it regularly before games. He played elsewhere and his statement on it is vague in terms of when it started and whatnot.
Kyle Quincey spent more than a decade as a dependable defenceman for six different NHL teams. He said he took the drug before most games to get him through the season, but no one told him about the long-term effects.

“Zero education and zero knowledge, no one is telling us what this pill does,” says Quincey

I think back on some of these. I remember Kesler playing through that torn hip with Vancouver and marveling at his toughness and even shot up on this stuff it is still crazy to play through that while semi-numbing your body.

Like I said earlier, I hope we are learning. I am also not foolish enough to think these guys don't have access to some of this stuff though if they are looking for it. The super human angle is more fun, but I just think when people attach someones value to that kind of stuff, it hurts the ability to get away from that. We saw some instances of that in this thread, it is a part of hockey culture that doesn't thrill me if I am being honest. Not saying I have never engaged in it, I just think you hear more stuff like in that article that make you a little more hesitant about what some of these guys are doing, sure to make good livings, but Kesler for instance has life-long illnesses now as a result. High cost there.

Last edited:

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I think hockey goes to the extreme when it comes to playing with injuries. Like players are expected to live up to this mythology that has built up over the decades.

That's great if players are doing it with their eyes open, but man... Take a day. Protect your health. Look beyond tomorrow. You want to be able to play with your grand kids.

Not to mention maybe playing all dinged up isn't really helping your team as much as you'd like to think.

Reactions: bedtime20

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Will help for the TANK.

NJD, OTT and BUF are winning, think we will drop behind them on the final standings.
Jersey has the same record as us the last 10. No way they pass us. Even if we lose all our remaining games it's unlikely we fall lower than we are right now.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Second year in a row. This wouldn't have happened again if someone on this team would have fought Jamie Benn and sent a message.

Reactions: Snuggs

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Blashill has never had this team. Dating back to the old days when the Swedish mafia held meetings without him and instructed players to ignore what he says,
Source?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Everyone knew Larkin is injured, but what was the point for him to PK? Did Yzerman tried to win games? Don't understand why not use Zadina at PK, he did it at juniors.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
That was a rumor and if real dated back to Babcock's time and would have been an indictment of Holland not Blashill.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Do you count on any player for 82 games?

Larkin's career average is missing a little more than 3 games to injury per 82 (22 out of a possible 537). Is that concerning? Is he "injury-prone" in some way that is significant beyond the average player?

Larkin plays a high tempo game and therefor winds up in slightly more compromising positions, I'll grant that. But he's no Carlo Colaiacovo.
Carlo Colaiacovo got injured by reading your post😁

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Oh dear not this again...
Why not? Lets bring the Hossa vs Frazen debates back. Why should we beat one dead horse to death when we can beat all dead horses in the world to death?
(Just a small ironical joke)
Second year in a row. This wouldn't have happened again if someone on this team would have fought Jamie Benn and sent a message.
It is annoying to watch. Both Larkin and Raymond were crosschecked, specially Raymond several times. Neither is dirty or a bad player by any means. Yzerman should address this issue.
Everyone knew Larkin is injured, but what was the point for him to PK? Did Yzerman tried to win games? Don't understand why not use Zadina at PK, he did it at juniors.
Our PK was around 60% during the bad streak and then they decided they had to use Larkin on PK.

Zadina would be like 5 on 3.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
He knows a guy. That's what MBH has said in the past. Some guy told him the Wings had a players-only meeting, and this was the conclusion drawn. Unfortunately for MBH, he's conflating the Wings having a players-only meeting (which of course all teams have from time to time) with a bloomin' onion-style narrative that ends with "Blashill has never had this team." Also, this rumor started in the Babcock days. Nice that it's morphed into applying to Blashill too.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
He knows a guy. That's what MBH has said in the past. Some guy told him the Wings had a players-only meeting, and this was the conclusion drawn. Unfortunately for MBH, he's conflating the Wings having a players-only meeting (which of course all teams have from time to time) with a bloomin' onion-style narrative that ends with "Blashill has never had this team." Also, this rumor started in the Babcock days. Nice that it's morphed into applying to Blashill too.
Oh jeez, is that the Detroit Sports Rag nonsense of Abby's brother's cousin's dog being in the meeting and getting the vibe?

Reactions: jaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad