Lane Hutson Burgeoning Star Watch

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
The point was undersized point producers. Butcher and Smith both had hot starts in terms of point production in the NHL too, but both ultimately couldn't hang. There is a real possibility that Hutson can't either. It is an unfortunate reality for any undersized dman.

Going into hutson's team at BU.

Dominick Fensore, David Farrance played that role at BU too.

Farrance had the exact same PPG his junior year as Hutson did. Is he in the NHL?

Again, hutson certainly has a higher ceiling, but the floor remains that, due to his lack size and physicality, he is unable to defend at the NHL level. Just the way it is with guys that size.

Casey has virtually identical point production overall this year.

Hutson did it during his first year at 18 years old, he was the point leader of his team... That's the big difference.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Hutson did it during his first year at 18 years old, he was the point leader of his team... That's the big difference.
Yep, Hutson got the PP1 QB role and top pairing minutes as a freshman.

When Casey was a freshman he was behind Luke Hughes. He just simply was not the power play QB because there was another guy there.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
4 points in the first 3 games of the season.

A couple things that have stuck out to me about him.

1) His hands are really fast while stickhandling. He's made some guys look bad one on one at the offensive blueline.... kind of like when an NBA player beats a defender clean with a crossover.

2) His ability to walk the line and buy space for himself is also pretty impressive. You see some Quinn Hughes in that sense.

He will likely hit a wall at some point but he's definitely worth a watch for those that haven't seen him yet.

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
Considering his NCAA numbers were better than Quinn Hughes, Cale Makar and Adam Fox, I try not to put unrealistic expectations on him.

But damn, he is making it hard. So much hockey IQ it's not even fair.
I think he’s playing excellent hockey, but his deployment isn’t the same as the other three if you want to temper expectations, which is expected for a rookie.

Reactions: bh53

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Considering his NCAA numbers were better than Quinn Hughes, Cale Makar and Adam Fox, I try not to put unrealistic expectations on him.

But damn, he is making it hard. So much hockey IQ it's not even fair.

No pressure kid. Habs media and some fans have anointed him the next one.

• Haha
Reactions: BLONG7

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Starting this thread early in honor of @LeProspector and his early thread calls.

Lane scored one billion points in junior and the NCAA. Two points in his first two NHL games and played over 20 minutes in both.

Some doubted if he had the size, skating, and defense for the NHL. None of that will matter because he will continue putting up points and will become one of the best offensive defenseman in the league.

If you are still doubting that after these first two games, you are fighting a losing battle.
He kind of reminds me of Hughes with his vision and playmaking skills. Could definitely win a Norris in the near future.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
If this thread isn't a proof of pure bias against anything Habs I don't know my own name.

So much negative for what should be an overwhelmingly positive thread lol.
Not sure why some people are against Hutson. He is showing a high potential to be a top D in the league. Lots of people were saying the same about Hughes and his lack of defensive skills or being soft and small until he proved people wrong and won the Norris. I wouldnt worry about naysayers.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Do people really doubt his skating? The kid can fly. Wish he was a Leaf
Yep, the Habs are lucky to have a Hughes like Dman. They are very rare to find but if you get one, it could change the team's fortune very quickly. Habs will have better transitional game and will be more potent offensively with a dman like Hutson.

I’m guessing that’s not going to be a sustainable recipe for a nhl defenseman.
Didnt know we had experts on these boards knowing about sustainability and whatnot. Hutson seems to have similar trajectory to Hughes. Very similar dman

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Do people really doubt his skating? The kid can fly. Wish he was a Leaf

He's actually below average in skating for his size. He seems fast cause he never stops moving, never caught flat footed. He's elusive. But yeah, he will need to improve his skating for sure.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
He's actually below average in skating for his size. He seems fast cause he never stops moving, never caught flat footed. He's elusive. But yeah, he will need to improve his skating for sure.
You are talking about his top speed. His acceleration and agility is elite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad