Confirmed with Link: Landeskog Suspended Two Games

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Well people are questioning Cooke's length of suspension in the playoffs ( from 2 years ago) and comparing it to Landy's in the regular season. Thought some needed a reminder.

Sorry...........really, I'm a dick.

I just don't understand that you can defend Stuart's hit on Landeskog from a couple of years ago, but then think Landeskog's hit on Marchand should have been punished. Doesn't make sense to me.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Wow you have a good memory 18007. I thought someone would bring that up, the difference between the hit is Marchand couldn't defend himself Landy came from the blindside(not against the rules) but hence why I call it a predatory hit. Stuart's hit came face to face and the principle point of contact was body.

I still like seeing hits...WIlson in his time here was fun to watch but I don't like seeing players get hurt with unnecessary hits when players don't get a chance to protect themselves.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Wow you have a good memory 18007. I thought someone would bring that up, the difference between the hit is Marchand couldn't defend himself Landy came from the blindside(not against the rules) but hence why I call it a predatory hit. Stuart's hit came face to face and the principle point of contact was body.

I still like seeing hits...WIlson in his time here was fun to watch but I don't like seeing players get hurt with unnecessary hits when players don't get a chance to protect themselves.

Or I have too much time on my hands. :laugh:

Maybe if it wasn't Marchand I might have a different opinion on the predatory nature of the hit.

Yeah, I don't like seeing people get injured either. I am just surprised at the length of the suspension, actually the suspension in general. What really gets me, as others have said, is that the NHL seemingly shows no consistency in handing out the suspensions.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
at least that punk got the maximum fine for roughing. that cheap shot was ridiculous. it looked like Landy was apologizing to him and then bam pop to the teeth

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
This is a chicken**** suspension. Barrie's I was fine with, that was a pretty dirty hit, but Landy didn't skate into the hit at all and Marchand had his head down (and wasn't even injured).

On the bright side, it gives Landy seven days to rest before he plays again, which may help with whatever injury has been holding him back, and it also gives Grigorenko a shot to play on a real scoring line. I want to see him on MacKinnon's wing taking Landy's place, he certainly earned it with that wonderful setup to Duchene. He's got the talent to take advantage of the opportunity and I hope Roy lets him play there instead of Mitchell or Skille.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
On a scale of one to rage how upset are people going to be when it's not Grigo tomorrow?

IF we needed another forward or player how would that work? Does Landy have to remain on the roster or can a team call someone up to replace a suspended player? I guess they could put Varly on IR if they had to but just wondering if the roster reaches critical mass at some point.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Or I have too much time on my hands. :laugh:

Maybe if it wasn't Marchand I might have a different opinion on the predatory nature of the hit.

Yeah, I don't like seeing people get injured either. I am just surprised at the length of the suspension, actually the suspension in general. What really gets me, as others have said, is that the NHL seemingly shows no consistency in handing out the suspensions.

Lol who doesn't .:D

Yup, it's ridiculous they've never been consistent just like the refs but it is what it is. You can't really compare 2 hits, they're all over the place.

As for Marchand well he's awesome.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
On a scale of one to rage how upset are people going to be when it's not Grigo tomorrow?

IF we needed another forward or player how would that work? Does Landy have to remain on the roster or can a team call someone up to replace a suspended player? I guess they could put Varly on IR if they had to but just wondering if the roster reaches critical mass at some point.

Aren't we only carrying 7 d-men with Redmond up, Zad down and Stuart on IR? That would leave room for another forward who could potentially be scratched later when Landy gets back. Not sure who we'd want in there for just 2 games though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Aren't we only carrying 7 d-men with Redmond up, Zad down and Stuart on IR? That would leave room for another forward who could potentially be scratched later when Landy gets back. Not sure who we'd want in there for just 2 games though.

I agree we are fine now, I'm just saying if a catastrophe happens tomorrow what the rule is.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
So if I am a player all I have to do is bend over with the puck and turn away and cry foul and the other team cannot hit me.. after all how can anyone hit me if I am bent over without hitting my head by accident..
TFBS imo

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Somebody has to explain to me why this hit receives two games.

[NHL]873151&catid=60[/NHL]

While this hit a week ago receives 0, despite the fact that it was also a blindside hit where the head was the principal point of contact.

The Player Safety Dept even admits that Landy hit Marchand's shoulder first, and Buff hit Gallagher's head first. Yet Landy gets suspended for two games and Buff gets nothing.

Not only that, after watching the other high angle late in the Landy video, I'm not convinced he even made contact with Marchand's head. It almost looks like he only makes contact with his shoulder, and this corked his body around and caused him to swing his head back in that fashion.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Somebody has to explain to me why this hit receives two games.

While this hit a week ago receives 0, despite the fact that it was also a blindside hit where the head was the principal point of contact.

Not only that, after watching the other high angle late in the Landy video, I'm not convinced he even made contact with Marchand's head. It almost looks like he only makes contact with his shoulder, and this corked his body around and caused him to swing his head back in that fashion.

Well, I don't get it.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The shoulder was the principle point of contact, and then the follow through hit the head. Based on the other borderline hits we've seen this season, no way this one should've been suspended.

Compared to other situations, I think it's ridiculous. Landy for 2 games seems a hit harsh but fair. Where the league is really screwing up is letting Buff still play.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
At this point, I think the league is just out to get the Avs for some reason. There is no contact what so ever to Marchand's head, during that hit. Yes his head twists around with the force of the hit, but Landeskog never touched his head.

The video even freaking admits that the contact was with the shoulder, and then they also admit that he never flares his elbow or extends up through the hit. So if he didn't do either of those things and the contact starts at the shoulder how does he ever make contact with the head without either extending his elbow upwards or exploding upwards, because last time I checked the head is located above the shoulders. So if you hit someone in the shoulder the only way to get to the head is by going upwards some way some how, but the video said Landeskog didn't do that.

They also admit that blindside hits aren't illegal and that his hit wasn't delivered too late. So I guess I'm confused as to what he actually did.

They keep trying claim it's a headshot but video shows he never touches the head, and their explanation is contradictory to what they assessed.

I can usually admit when a one of our players does something wrong, but in this case I think Landeskog and the Avs just got screwed.

And the thing that really irks me is, they crack Landeskog for an apparent headshot, that I can't seem to see. But then Marchand delivers a blow directly to Landeskog's head on a dirty sucker punch. And the league doesn't bat an eye. They are just a bunch of hypocrites. We care about headshot's, but only if they are during play and not after the whistle.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yea the Buff issue is one thing, and makes it look totally unfair in comparison.

The bigger thing though is that it's pretty inconclusive from all the replays that he actually did make contact with Marchand's head. The second overhead angle that's a bit lower quality, but from a more front on angle, makes it look like he might have hit the shoulder only.

The whole review process over this "hit" stinks IMO. Seems very half assed, and more concerned with punishing a hit that looked like it could have been a dangerous hit, rather than one that was a dangerous hit The evidence just doesn't warrant the discipline handed out.

If that's the new course of action fine, but then Buff and about a hundred other hits deserves suspensions as well.

Last edited:

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Landy should have been more careful where to make contact. Instead he focused on the puck that went by him.

OT: After watching the Buff hit I think it looked legal. Buff played the puck and completely stopped Gallagher who was rushing for the loose puck. Buff easily beat him to the puck and Gallagher must have been aware. It wasn't even elbowing IMO which was the initial call. Most of Gallagher's body absorbed the impact and the head wasn't the main point.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
The fact that Marchand got right up and socked Landy in the face and didn't miss a single shift makes me livid. 2 games for what exactly?! They even admit it was a should-to-shoulder hit. They're moving 100 mph out there...how is he supposed to avoid the "follow through to the head" ?

He hit him clean, barely knicked his head, and Marchand acted like he was shot = suspension. What a joke

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
This is a very stupid, exaggerated, controversial and dumb penalty.

WTF NHL????

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
They say Marchand is eligible to be checked. They say Landy hit him shoulder to shoulder and didn't leap or extend his body. No injury whatsoever on the play and didn't miss a shift. 2 game suspension.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Maybe it wasn't head contact...I initially watched the video no sound, now they seem to claim primary point of contact was shoulder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad