Speculation: Lalonde

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
firing the Coach early into the season doesn't really feel like the way Yzerman does things

even with Boucher in Tampa he wanted till the season was 2/3rds of the way over

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I wouldn’t rule it out but it’s not really Yzerman’s M.O.

If Lalonde fails again this year I’m expecting him gone at the end of the year. And I’m fully expecting a bad finish from Detroit this season.

Reactions: SCD

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Inspired by the thread on the main board around which coach gets fired first. Does Lalonde last the season in Detroit, or does SY let him go if we struggle out of the gate?

I don't think he's on a short enough leash to get fired if he struggles out of the gate. Or at the very least it depends on what you consider "out of the gate."

I think the team would have to be absolutely awful the first half of the season for him to get fired, and on top of that probably have some conflict with Yzerman over player deployment.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Lalonde is 100% on the hot seat, this season is make or break for him in Detroit. Couple reasons why I think that:

1) The team missed the playoffs by one single point last season. Were it not for two, I repeat, two prolonged losing streaks where the entire team played like garbage, they would have made the playoffs. It wasn't a matter of a handful of players you could legitimately point to and scapegoat, it was essentially the entire team. That's on the coach. If that happens again this season he's gone.​

2) We've heard rumblings about Yzerman pulling rank and laying down the law with Lalonde in terms of some roster decisions. I don't recall exactly what, but if I remember correctly Walman was one such example. GMs who have full faith in their coach don't interfere like that.​

This team is slightly better than last season's team. Kane is now familiar with the system and organization and has a full offseason to prepare physically. Tarasenko is a clear upgrade on Perron. If Edvinsson isn't an upgrade on Walman fresh out of the box (which I think he is), he will be clearly better than Walman by mid-season at the latest IMO. I can't help but think Johansson will prove himself more useful and reliable than Maatta/Petry in short order. Gustafsson and Ghostisbehere are a wash. Likewise with Sprong and Berggren. Talbot and Lyon splitting starts should be a much more reliable tandem than last season. We can reasonably expect continued development from Seider, Raymond, Johansson, and Berggren as well. And that's not even considering the possibility that Kasper and/or Danielson surprise at camp and force their way onto the team.

So Lalonde has a team that's at least as good as last season's and could end up being a good deal better if certain factors go in our favour. I think Yzerman's expectation for this season is to make the playoffs. If the team suffers another prolonged losing streak, or are not performing to expectations and are not in a playoff position by mid-season, I think we see a change.

There are 4 possible scenarios in my mind:

1) The team meets expectations. Lalonde keeps his job.​
2) The team struggles out of the gate. Lalonde is replaced early in the season.​
3) The team fails to meet expectations and is not in a playoff position come January. Lalonde is replaced mid-season.​
4) The team straddles the line between meeting and not meeting expectations over the course of the season, popping in and out of a playoff spot. The team ultimately falls short again. Lalonde is replaced in the offseason.​

Last edited:

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
If we struggle out of the gate I’d pin it more on the inability to upgrade the defense than I would Lalonde.
Out: Walman and Ghostisbehere

In: Gustafsson, Edvinsson (likely improved), and Johansson

Seems like a wash to me. And depending on how much Edvinsson has developed and whether Johansson can carve out a role for himself, may be appreciably better. So while we may not have gotten that top 4 dman we wanted (yet, at least), I struggle to see how that would be the cause when that wasn't the issue last year.

After witnessing last season's two major losing streaks, which IMO were largely attributable to the coach since it was a team problem and not an individual player(s) problem, a bad effort out of the gate should be attributed to the coach as well.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
We were an awful possession team last year and a decent amount of that has to fall on the coaching and system. Lalonde needs to go if that does not improve.

Reactions: FMichael

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
I wouldn’t rule it out but it’s not really Yzerman’s M.O.

If Lalonde fails again this year I’m expecting him gone at the end of the year. And I’m fully expecting a bad finish from Detroit this season.

Any other negativity? Feel free to be honest. This is a safe space

Regardless of what happens. Stevie and the Wings please don't hire Quenneville. I would hope you are better than that. Ok thanks.
Why not? He's a great coach.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
1720632795614.gif

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Lalonde probably get fired between second and third period in the middle of next season . Yzerman will just finish the game as Head coach. Watson, as you all know is the next Red Wings coach 😜😈

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
2023-24, 0.833 p% - 5 wins at first 6 games.
2022-23, 0.800 p% - 8 points at first 5 games (2 OT losses)
2021-22, 0.625 p% - 10 points at first 8 games

Also worse 2019-20 & 2020-21 seasons did start better than the final season record.

Last year was the only year we started out hot.

Counting losses as starting out hot is silly and you're seriously reaching.

23/24 we started out 5-1 which turn into 6-4(1ot loss) then a lot of streaky win/loss and blown leads and big comebacks.

22/23 we started 4-5. (2 ot losses)
We also played well most of the season till we collapsed at the end and traded hronek

21/22 we started out 4-7 (2 ot losses)

And every year before were crap.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
If we struggle out of the gate I’d pin it more on the inability to upgrade the defense than I would Lalonde.

Agreed. You can either give him this blue line or you can hold him accountable for making/pushing for playoffs. To do both would be counterproductive to me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Out: Walman and Ghostisbehere

In: Gustafsson, Edvinsson (likely improved), and Johansson

Seems like a wash to me. And depending on how much Edvinsson has developed and whether Johansson can carve out a role for himself, may be appreciably better. So while we may not have gotten that top 4 dman we wanted (yet, at least), I struggle to see how that would be the cause when that wasn't the issue last year.

After witnessing last season's two major losing streaks, which IMO were largely attributable to the coach since it was a team problem and not an individual player(s) problem, a bad effort out of the gate should be attributed to the coach as well.
OK well that blue line was bad overall last year.

So if what we have this year is a “wash” to what we had last year, expect more of the same.

Bringing in Kane and Tarasenko isn’t gonna change that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad