Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] F Alex Turcotte signs extension with the Kings (3 years, $775k AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I guess he doesn't believe in himself that much and wanted security.

This is under the QO he would have received.
Might be good for him long-term. If he starts to produce at any point over the next three years, there's a tremendous amount of earning potential with Kopitar and Danault's contact both ending.

If he continues to struggle, that contract is also incredibly easy to move.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
What a bizarre contract to sign if you're Turcotte. Like, unless you have absolutely zero confidence in your ability to stay healthy and improve, why would you take this to 3 years at "minimum wage"? Just wild to take the security of 3 years guaranteed, over the potential of even just improving to an "NHL caliber player" by the third year of the duration of that deal, for an additional $300k or so, at least. Especially as a prospect with his sort of draft pedigree.

I'd almost be kind of worried that he was okay with signing on to this contract, if i were the Kings. Or even a team looking at dealing for him as a "change of scenery" candidate. Though really, he doesn't need new scenery, so much as he just needs to stay healthy.

But anyway. I think injuries get blamed as the primary reason for his stunted growth as a player and lack of appreciable "development". That's fair and has clearly been a major factor. But he's also a guy that i feel had his skillset really overrated in the first place as well. Even before the injury troubles really set in, he projected more for me like a complementary Jack Roslovic type than a dynamic play driver.

Reactions: voxel

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
if his concussions are that serious he should just retire. Is money everything?

Your entire point was that he was foolish to not set himself up to sign a better deal, so not sure why you’re suggesting that money isn’t everything now. The point is everything is risk/reward. This has less risk than signing a one year deal, which probably makes sense in his situation.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I always thought he'd an NHL player for sure. It's sad how badly injuries have side-tracked his career. I hope he has long career, despite the unfortunate beginning of it.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Byram, Cozens, Boldy, Zegras, Caulfield, Seider, Knight, York, Harley… those aren’t exactly bad 1sts

By the standard of “1st round pick,” even Kakko wasn’t a bad pick. Not what you want for 2nd overall, but not a bad 1st rounder historically.

This feels an awful lot like “superstar by 22” expectations for anyone drafted 1-32, which is just ridiculous.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Signing for the minimum makes sense if he just wants to stay in the NHL. Even signing for just $100K more could've meant being sent down in favor of a minimum wager because the team's right up against the cap. Now, no one is cheaper than him, so he doesn't have to worry about being sent down for cap purposes.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Might be good for him long-term. If he starts to produce at any point over the next three years, there's a tremendous amount of earning potential with Kopitar and Danault's contact both ending.

If he continues to struggle, that contract is also incredibly easy to move.

But if he produces in year 1 or 2, he's potentially losing millions, hence my comment.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
But if he produces in year 1 or 2, he's potentially losing millions, hence my comment.
Wouldn't he get that show-me contract though, where a lot of guys get stuck? If he establishes himself, I'd argue that he'd be in a good position to sign a long-term deal.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
2019 draft was lame, Jack Hughes - then everyone else. Lots of fringe chumps taken in that 1st round.
I think you really unsell the quality of some of the players after Hughes. Seider is a legit #1 D. Bryam when healthy looks very good and Boldy is clearly a good player too. Sure there are lots of misses and depth guys in that draft but Hughes isn’t the only stud.

Reactions: MoneyManny

LeftKinger

Oct 20, 2022
Still a lot of money for a kid his age. He could also like the Kings and LA itself. One year prove it deal has much more pressure and can backfire. Guy is just trying to get reps.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I always thought he'd an NHL player for sure. It's sad how badly injuries have side-tracked his career. I hope he has long career, despite the unfortunate beginning of it.

I'm not convinced. He's not even a great AHLer. A player like Byfield instantly looked twice the player that Turcotte in the same year they played. Byfield oozed skill. Turcotte was a Gilbert Brule to me. Folks are obsessed with draft pedigree rather than results and actual play.

Anyhow, I think there are more than normal number of busts in the 2019 draft. It's overrated whereas the 2020 draft is underrated (and better). The entire second half of the 1st round in 2019 is a whole lot of meh.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I'm not convinced. He's not even a great AHLer. A player like Byfield instantly looked twice the player that Turcotte in the same year they played. Byfield oozed skill. Turcotte was a Gilbert Brule to me. Folks are obsessed with draft pedigree rather than results and actual play.

Anyhow, I think there are more than normal number of busts in the 2019 draft. It's overrated whereas the 2020 draft is underrated (and better). The entire second half of the 1st round in 2019 is a whole lot of meh.
My thoughts are probably from some old WJC. He looked like a man playing against boys there.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
My thoughts are probably from some old WJC. He looked like a man playing against boys there.
Yeah that was a long time ago.

WJC -> (huge step) -> AHL -> (another huge step) -> NHL

Martin Frk is a f**king AHL superstar but can't skate worth sh*t and thus is not a NHLer.

Ryan McLeod was the opposite, he'd skate circles around AHLers looking like McDavid and putting up serious points (PPG in the AHL at 20... which Turcotte has yet to do and I seriously doubt he has the skill).

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
if his concussions are that serious he should just retire. Is money everything?
Why wouldn't he take the money? He could decide tomorrow he can't play another game and the only thing that changes is he's guaranteed $2.4 mil.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Seems wild to sign that if you're Turcotte... Like do you really have absolutely no confidence in yourself to improve?

Literally a league minimum deal for the next 3 years. If he improves even slightly, he's worth more then that.
On one hand I agree. On the other, he's now 23 years old and has only played 171 games over the past 4 years, he may be 1 injury away from hanging up the skates. This way he's guaranteed $2.4 mil.

The only reason he's getting this contract is due to pedigree, because if we're being honest there are better players that are having to take 2-way contracts.

Reactions: voxel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad