Proposal: Laine to Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
For the record, all of the Laine proposals that have been posted in the last few weeks have been from other teams fans....NOT CBJ fans...

Columbus immediately takes this. Hell they'd take probaly it for Askarov, let alone all the extras.
Exactly that's how bad the OP's offer was.

Laine would be worth it if he could stay healthy and also be consistently great but he can't do either.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Add Novak and Jenner. Laine @50% is great value but I feel like they have enough goal scorers and could use a playmaker like a Guadreau or Giroux

• Haha
Reactions: Fro

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Just like how we were "disappointed" in the returns for Jones, PLD, Anderson, Johansen, Nash...

Swear to G-d some of y'all never learn.
It all depends on the retention...people, for some reason, think that the cap market rates for Columbus don't apply to us. Laine isn't going to be treated as a Cap Dump and most people here are assuming that because we are so used to teams being up against the cap they HAVE to make a move...with Laine we don't if it doesn't work. We are trying to be nice to him but we are not just going to give him away which I feel like alot of fans are assuming here. If no deal works for Columbus that requires retention then Laine shows up to work in about a month's time at Nationwide

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Because "Carrier was extended, therefore Fabbro is awful" is such a completely and utterly pants-on-head absurd attempt at insane troll logic that addressing it directly would be like trying to explain why the sky isn't orange. Fabbro isn't suddenly worse than he actually is because of the existence of other players.
I never said that once. I said if the team believed he was a top four dman then why resign carrier?? Now we are in a bad cap situation because of it and the team is clearly looking to move Fabbro.
Do we need another 3-4 posts before you grasp this concept?? I have said this a few times. We cannot afford both. We had Fabbro signed cheaper and was a top four. So why sign carrier and screw up cap situation?? Don’t tell me because we needed depth because again, we are trying to move Fabbro now because he is too expensive for third pair. If we wanted depth we sign a free agent vet at league minimum.

Are we finally on the same page now? lol

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I never said that once. I said if the team believed he was a top four dman then why resign carrier??
Because. You. Need. Multiple. Top-4. Defensemen. More than four, because injuries happen.

And there are options other than "give Fabbro away as though he's bottom pairing" to address cap concerns. Even tho the team is already under the cap.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Nyqvist can certainly reach 50+ points.
Again, cap issues make this not work. Doesn’t matter the skill level. It simply cannot work due to CAP ISSUES

Exactly that's how bad the OP's offer was.

Laine would be worth it if he could stay healthy and also be consistently great but he can't do either.
Yeah such a bad offer lol

A bottom pair dman that we need to cap dump anyway.

A low first round pick

A 35 year old Swede who overachieved last season and almost certainly won’t repeat that point total.

Askarov is the main piece. Nyquist and fabbro are cap dumps essentially in this trade to make room for Laine who is also being retained at 50% so it is another huge bonus for Nashville.

Again, fabbro is a cap casualty for us anyways and Tampa first is probably never an nhl player if you base it on odds.

Worse proposal ever 🤣🤣

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Because. You. Need. Multiple. Top-4. Defensemen. More than four, because injuries happen.

And there are options other than "give Fabbro away as though he's bottom pairing" to address cap concerns. Even tho the team is already under the cap.
Explain to me a better way to fix the cap? Obvious only other option is glass but nobody is taking him

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Again, cap issues make this not work. Doesn’t matter the skill level. It simply cannot work due to CAP ISSUES

You keep repeating this and it still isn't true. Neither Fabbro nor Carrier are "bottom pair", in much the same way that Leon Draisaitl is not a "#2C".

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
If you're going to give someone away, give Glass away if you must. But acting like Fabbro is a valueless bottom pairing guy is a move that makes the Tolvanen loss look like sound hockey strategy.
You still aren’t getting it. I’m done explaining this. I have said this many times now. You refuse to acknowledge.

Fabbro was fine in the top 4. But we signed carrier to extension knocking Fabbro down to bottom pair or a cap casualty. Therefore making him expandable in a Laine trade proposal because he has to go now because we signed carrier back. I don’t see what’s so hard to grasp here. Or you refuse to acknowledge because you are clearly incorrect here.

Nobody wants glass. Not gonna happen. It sucks but now Fabbro has to go because of cap. I am legit not explaining this a fourth time to you for you to dance around the facts and talk other nonsense.

Have a good day sir.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

A low first round pick

A 35 year old Swede who overachieved last season and almost certainly won’t repeat that point total.

Askarov is the main piece. Nyquist and fabbro are cap dumps essentially in this trade to make room for Laine who is also being retained at 50% so it is another huge bonus for Nashville.

Again, fabbro is a cap casualty for us anyways and Tampa first is probably never an nhl player if you base it on odds.

Worse proposal ever 🤣🤣
You are forgetting that Nashville will be getting a guy who is expensive and can't stay healthy and has never lived up to his promise.

Nyquist could very well fetch a secondounder rounder at the deadline for the argument of value.

Fabbro is also a solid defender and will stay in the NHL for a while.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
You are forgetting that Nashville will be getting a guy who is expensive and can't stay healthy and has never lived up to his promise.

Nyquist could very well fetch a secondounder rounder at the deadline for the argument of value.

Fabbro is also a solid defender and will stay in the NHL for a while.

Gus and Patty have played in the same line, we have seen them on the ice extensively, together.

There's no question who is league elite and who's a dependable NHL roster player when you watch these people play

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Indeed.
The more you take out the closer it gets.
So you are saying a guy that has 117 points in his last 129 games on a bad team and is still only 26 years old with 50% retention could be had for a late first that probably never plays in the nhl, a bottom pair dman (Fabbro I feel could be more than that but press resigning carrier and putting us in bad cap situation speaks volumes the other way) and a 35 year old overachieving winger?

Preds take this deal all day long and get younger in doing so. Where do we sign??

Forsberg Stamkos marchessault
Laine Oreilly Evangelista

Nice top 6!

• Haha
Reactions: PROUD PAPA

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Gus and Patty have played in the same line, we have seen them on the ice extensively, together.

There's no question who is league elite and who's a dependable NHL roster player when you watch these people play
This is exactly the hyperbole that the OP expects us to think about Laine.

Like I said upthread he "looks" elite for stretches then just blends into the background or misses time all too often.

• Haha
Reactions: maplepred

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
You still aren’t getting it. I’m done explaining this. I have said this many times now. You refuse to acknowledge.

Fabbro was fine in the top 4. But we signed carrier to extension knocking Fabbro down to bottom pair or a cap casualty. Therefore making him expandable in a Laine trade proposal because he has to go now because we signed carrier back. I don’t see what’s so hard to grasp here. Or you refuse to acknowledge because you are clearly incorrect here.

Nobody wants glass. Not gonna happen. It sucks but now Fabbro has to go because of cap. I am legit not explaining this a fourth time to you for you to dance around the facts and talk other nonsense.

Have a good day sir.
Their argument is one of depth. Nashville isn't exactly deep on the right side. Therefore, regardless of whether or not Fabbro ends up playing bottom pairing, a trade involving another player, like Glass, would make more sense. That's all they are saying. Whether or not you think Glass is untradeable, an assumption not everyone is going to make, is irrelevant to that point. Nashville quite simply needs right side defenders more than it needs bottom six forwards at the moment.

Also, hopefully I'm not being presumptious when I say that the correct title is ma'am, not sir. "That chick from Ohio"

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Have a good day sir.
Then you waive Glass and send him back to the minors, he costs you next to nothing in that case. Trotz has way more options for cap movement than needing to trade Fabbro if he doesn't want too.

You are trading a 1st, the best prospect in the organization, Nyquist and Fabbro for a guy that just came out of the players assistance program AND can't stay healthy. I don't don't give a rats rump what his production is if he can't stay on the freaking ice for most of the season.

Askarov may go back to Russia, good for him, he can rot there for the next 5 years before getting a stab at the NHL level then, but considering he isn't ready to start with, his best bet is to be smart and try and freaking beat out Wedgewood. Even if we traded him he is likely to be in the AHL anyways no matter where he gets sent because he needs the development still.

Nyquist is likely not to produce to the level he did last season, but on a team that just loaded up for a push you want to add guys like him, not subtract them. You push him down the line up and happily take the 40-50 points he gives you, or if one of the other old guys blow a tire he can fill in.

The major problem with your idea is that everything you want is for the positive with zero negative outcome, meanwhile everything you want to move is for the negative with zero positive outcome. As a GM you gotta have guys that can get the job done in case something goes wrong, aka Fabbro, Nyquist.

When an entire thread of people, including fans of the other team, are telling you to sit the bottle down and walk away, you probably should look at doing that.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Fabbro being labeled a bottom-pairing guy is laughable. He's a top 4 defenseman on most, if not all teams. You can have 5 guys who are top 4 talents on the same roster at the same time. One may end up on the bottom pairing, it doesn't make their talent level drop, if anything, it makes your roster deeper having better players playing down the lineup.

By they way, the trade is a stupid idea. Nashville is giving up way too much.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Their argument is one of depth. Nashville isn't exactly deep on the right side. Therefore, regardless of whether or not Fabbro ends up playing bottom pairing, a trade involving another player, like Glass, would make more sense. That's all they are saying. Whether or not you think Glass is untradeable, an assumption not everyone is going to make, is irrelevant to that point. Nashville quite simply needs right side defenders more than it needs bottom six forwards at the moment.

Also, hopefully I'm not being presumptious when I say that the correct title is ma'am, not sir. "That chick from Ohio"
I was going to reply but you pretty much covered it for me. :thumbu:

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: