Proposal: Laine to Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Here's a hint: Fabbro was signed on March 4, 2024. When did the cap issues become a thing?
I said if Fabbro is a top 4 dman why did we resign carrier then knowing it would put us in bad cap spot?
Now we have to move Fabbro who you claim is a top four dman, and so do I to be honest, because we signed carrier back to an even higher contract. We could have let carrier walk and kept Fabbro in the top four. Now we have cap issues. So back to my question, is Fabbro is a top four dman, why did we bring carrier back?

We could have rolled with
Skjei josi
Lauzon Fabbro
Stastney Schenn

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Askarov’s agent is the wildcard here since he seems to want his client in the NHL but take out Fabbro and Nyquist and make the first Nashville’s and have it be 25% retention.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Armourboy

74 others

Jul 3, 2015
Montreal
We saw last season that the value of a star player coming out of the assistance program is a 3rd round pick, even with a 50% retention.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I said if Fabbro is a top 4 dman why did we resign carrier then knowing it would put us in bad cap spot?
Now we have to move Fabbro who you claim is a top four dman, and so do I to be honest, because we signed carrier back to an even higher contract. We could have let carrier walk and kept Fabbro in the top four. Now we have cap issues. So back to my question, is Fabbro is a top four dman, why did we bring carrier back?

We could have rolled with
Skjei josi
Lauzon Fabbro
Stastney Schenn
Because you still need a #7, and if Stastney isn't actually ready you've just screwed yourself.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't see any reason at all why we should trade Laine now, we can wait and trade him after the season, Patrik knows about that possibility.

In 2021/22 season he had 1 PPG (82 points) with Jenner as center, in 2022/23 season he played with winger Roslovic at center, defensively he played most with "offensive monsters" Peeke, Gudbranson and Berni. 0.94 PPG (78 points). Show me a TOP player with such conditions. One had the best PPG in both seasons, when healthy he was the best forward in the team. The injuries were unfortunate coincidences, just look at their type. One plays good defense, without the puck, he's not dependent on teammates, something you can't say about Gaudreau.

I like Nyquist, but he's 35 years old.

Fabbro is not a defenseman that is essential for us, either Christiansen, who is an NHL player, can play on the third pair, or the defensive pair of Johnson, Jiříček, in the AHL Svozil and (they could rotate with Christiansen) and especially Mateychuk. We're not going to play in the PO, so can develop young guys. Besides, we don't need any RD. Especially if Fabbro is UFA after the next season.

Defense (Severson has a terrible contract so he must play)

Werenski, Severson
Provorov, Gudbranson
J. Johnson, Jiříček

or

Werenski, Severson
Provorov, Jiříček
Christiansen/Svozil, Gudbranson

No one knows how Askarov will develop and Tarasov and Greaves are good goalies. Merzlikins will be #1. We can think what we want about him but his value needs to be increase, because his game to salary ratio is terrible.

The only valuable asset is 1st rounder, but the pick will be out of the top 20-25, I think.

Simply, I don't see any reason to trade Laine to Nashville or another team if offers are bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: cassidy7676

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Because you still need a #7, and if Stastney isn't actually ready you've just screwed yourself.
Ok but again as I mentioned. We cannot afford to keep Fabbro and he’s not trade bait due to cap issues. Hence why I said if he’s a top four guy then why did we bring carrier back to have 5 top 4 dmen and put ourselves in cap situation?? If we had fabbro ok cheaper deal than carrier and he’s top then roll with it and let carrier walk. Pick up a league minimum veteran D free agent if you’re that concerned about Stastney. Simple solution here but you keep dancing around the fact that if Fabbro is a top four dman then why resign carrier for more money and now we have to trade most likely Fabbro because of cap issues.
Is it sinking in more now?

Trotz ought to be fired immediately even if he only considered an offer like this.
Yeah a bottom pair dman
A low first round pick
A 35 year old overachieving winger
And a solid goalie prospect

How could he possibly go on as gm?

Reactions: Marioesque

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
To Columbus:
Askarov, Nyquist, Fabbro, TB 2025 1st

To Nashville:
Laine 50% retained

Nice to see a fan of a team not propose a one sided deal in favor of their own team.

If you think Laine can bounce back to the point per game he has been able to be, and turn the corner and do it consistently, and stay healthy, this is a good trade for Nashville. But those are a lot of ifs.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
No. Nyqvist was talented in Detroit. Nyqvist quite so good currently.
Ok sure thanks but my post said it won’t work because with no retention on Laine we can’t take his contract on. Doesn’t matter how good or bad Nyquist is. It’s math.

Also, you think Nyquist gets 75 points again? First time he ever did that was last season.

Imgoingtowork

Apr 15, 2024
Europe
Ok sure thanks but my post said it won’t work because with no retention on Laine we can’t take his contract on. Doesn’t matter how good or bad Nyquist is. It’s math.

Also, you think Nyquist gets 75 points again? First time he ever did that was last season.

Nyqvist can certainly reach 50+ points.

• Haha
Reactions: maplepred

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ok but again as I mentioned. We cannot afford to keep Fabbro and he’s not trade bait due to cap issues. Hence why I said if he’s a top four guy then why did we bring carrier back to have 5 top 4 dmen and put ourselves in cap situation?? If we had fabbro ok cheaper deal than carrier and he’s top then roll with it and let carrier walk. Pick up a league minimum veteran D free agent if you’re that concerned about Stastney. Simple solution here but you keep dancing around the fact that if Fabbro is a top four dman then why resign carrier for more money and now we have to trade most likely Fabbro because of cap issues.
Is it sinking in more now?
Because "Carrier was extended, therefore Fabbro is awful" is such a completely and utterly pants-on-head absurd attempt at insane troll logic that addressing it directly would be like trying to explain why the sky isn't orange. Fabbro isn't suddenly worse than he actually is because of the existence of other players.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Nyqvist and Laine are same level athletes.
I almost spit over my tablet with laughter when I read that. 😼 To compare Nyquist to a player who leads a line, can play with anyone, and despite playing with defensive defensemen/AHL players have a point per game takes a lot of imagination.

His price is low due to the NHLPA program, GMs want to take advantage of that 100%.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Nice to see a fan of a team not propose a one sided deal in favor of their own team.

If you think Laine can bounce back to the point per game he has been able to be, and turn the corner and do it consistently, and stay healthy, this is a good trade for Nashville. But those are a lot of ifs.
People are freaking out but at 50% retainment that is the cost to weaponize cap. That's holding 8 some mil in assets for CBJ, especially as they are not going to treat Laine as a Cap Dump because there is no danger of any cap issues (all retainment slots open, just right above the cap floor). If you value the first round pick is probably worth 4mil assuming early-mid 20s, the goalie is obviously S-Tier but for some reason goalies (especially prospects) don't hold value in the league to what I think is acceptable (lets say 3mil) so really it should be the choice in player to round out the trade. If anything holding that much for your typical pick, prospect, player deal is actually good value for the preds if they want to take the risk right there alone on that. Still Waddell already said if he wanted to trade at 50% the deal already would have happened so sounds like he's not going to trade more than at 30%. If nothing works Laine goes back to work in Columbus in a few weeks.

Reactions: maplepred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: