Proposal: Laine to Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The funny thing is, a month and a half ago I posted something reminiscient of part of this on HFPreds:
What I find personally annoying is that up until last season's results I would have had the perfect answer for a Laine trade right about now. Fabbro + Nyquist. Done. But then Nyquist had to go on that ludicrously insane career year of career years and so obviously there's no way that would even remotely fly. Harrumph. :( ;)
(emphasis added)

Apparently the going rate for 50% retention on an $8.7m contract for two years nowadays is a late 1st and one of the best goaltending prospects in hockey. :scared:
:sarcasm:

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Sounds a bit better for Columbus than the offer of Kotkaniemi and a small plus for a retained Laine in the "Something brewing between CAR and CBJ?" thread.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The Preds very much need to get some high end players under the age of 30 who have a chance to grow with the team. Desperately.

And Laine at 50% is a very valuable asset. So I don't think Askarov and a late 1st is too much for that.

But Nyquist has a lot of value on his own now, that's a tremendous contract too after the season he just had. He'd be very much welcome back in Columbus.

Nyquist and a late 1st ought to cover the deal, in my estimation.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Laine is only 26 and has 117 points in his last 129 games and is a monster. He’s worth a lot and the 50% retained for Nashville makes it worthwhile big time.
I mean, if you want to pretend the risks aren't there, that's fine, that's your prerogative. It's actually kind of a breath of fresh air versus the usual approach of folks blowing them way the hell out of proportion. But c'mon, hon, you're using Askarov practically as a throw-in.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The Preds very much need to get some high end players under the age of 30 who have a chance to grow with the team. Desperately.

And Laine at 50% is a very valuable asset. So I don't think Askarov and a late 1st is too much for that.

But Nyquist has a lot of value on his own now, that's a tremendous contract too after the season he just had. He'd be very much welcome back in Columbus.

Nyquist and a late 1st ought to cover the deal, in my estimation.
I'd have made a proposal thread here along those lines ages ago except that I think the Preds need Nyquist for the same reasons and to play the same sort of role he'd be wanted for up here, so I've kept hesitating. Maybe if it was any other team I'd have gone "they've got RoR, they're fine on vets" and gone with it anyways, but it's a little different when you're a fan of both of the teams. ;)

Reactions: pouf pouf

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
For Laine at 50%? I don't know about that.

I probably would because I like Askarov and I don't care about the retention but teams are always very hesitant to retain that much.
Wasn't really thinking about the 50% retention I suppose. I think there's an extremely small chance of that happening after DWs comments.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd have made a proposal thread here along those lines ages ago except that I think the Preds need Nyquist for the same reasons and to play the same sort of role he'd be wanted for up here, so I've kept hesitating. Maybe if it was any other team I'd have gone "they've got RoR, they're fine on vets" and gone with it anyways, but it's a little different when you're a fan of both of the teams. ;)

Another thought. Signing Stamkos - whose contribution at this point is entirely on the PP - might preclude Laine from fitting with the Preds. They both want to play on their one timer side, same spot, and it does have to be #1PP for both.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Another thought. Signing Stamkos - whose contribution at this point is entirely on the PP - might preclude Laine from fitting with the Preds. They both want to play on their one timer side, same spot, and it does have to be #1PP for both.
I'm less concerned about that since Laine was also doing very well 5v5 here, but yeah, that does make for less value recouped for Nashville.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm less concerned about that since Laine was also doing very well 5v5 here, but yeah, that does make for less value recouped for Nashville.

Well Laine will still be good without getting the cush job on the PP, but Stamkos would not. And they just gave him four years??

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well Laine will still be good without getting the cush job on the PP, but Stamkos would not. And they just gave him four years??
Technically Stamkos is also there for locker room reasons. Nashville's also got a bunch of kids Learning On The Job as it is - the prospect pool is comparable to the Jackets' in depth, although without the really high-end highly picked guys. So that's supposed to be the other part of Stamkos' value.

Beyond that... well, UFA signings, what can you do. :dunno:

Reactions: pouf pouf

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Laine is only 26 and has 117 points in his last 129 games and is a monster. He’s worth a lot and the 50% retained for Nashville makes it worthwhile big time.
He has also missed on average 31 games a season over the past 4 years. Even if you remove last years anomaly of 64 games, he has missed 63 of the possible 220 games (1 season was 56 games) or roughly 28.6% of the possible games. You dont trade one of your best trade chips (askarov) and a 1st ontop of a good veteran forward who on his own could possibly net you a 1st round pick for someone who misses so much time.

Technically Stamkos is also there for locker room reasons. Nashville's also got a bunch of kids Learning On The Job as it is - the prospect pool is comparable to the Jackets' in depth, although without the really high-end highly picked guys. So that's supposed to be the other part of Stamkos' value.

Beyond that... well, UFA signings, what can you do. :dunno:
Id be down for something around Nyquist or Novak and Fabbro/Glass for Laine with retention but the original offer here is just too much for someone so oft injured.

jackp0t

Jun 7, 2009
This is like 2 firsts, a 2nd line player and a depth defenseman.

In term of age / production a good comparable would be DeBrincat, and he also wanted out, meaning not a lot of leverage in the negociations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium