Value of: Laine to Detroit

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Yeesh no. I know the OP really hates Veleno, but I'd rather not start tinkering too much, especially for a guy like Laine who has some big time struggles lately.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Laine isnt a center no matter what you want
And this is why your proposal was doomed from the start - you attempted to dictate to folks what their assets are and set your price based on said unsupported assertion.

The Jackets have far too many forwards on every level as is; a quantity-for-quality trade of any kind is a step backwards.

Reactions: banks

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Laine's a one-dimensional forward making nearly $9M, who hasn't even been elite at that one dimension in several years now.

Over the last four years he's not even Top 80 in production... And he sure as hell isn't getting that $8.7M for his play away from the puck.

Pass.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Veleno + Kasper + 2nd for Laine and 3rd

Is CBJ ready to give up or nah? Laine isnt a center no matter what you want LOL
Wait what, you think Laine has value? He is a top 5 worst contract in the NHL. him and Hubs be hanging out at the top of the list. A one demential forward, who makes $8.7m, can’t stay healthy, has had poor scoring totals, is prone to being “upset” if he doesn’t get his own way and hasn’t had a good year in like 5 years. More like a 5th for Laine, 3rd, 1st

And this is why your proposal was doomed from the start - you attempted to dictate to folks what their assets are and set your price based on said unsupported assertion.

The Jackets have far too many forwards on every level as is; a quantity-for-quality trade of any kind is a step backwards.
Laine isn’t quality, he is a cap killer who can’t stay healthy and would require a massive sweetener.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Wait what, you think Laine has value? He is a top 5 worst contract in the NHL. him and Hubs be hanging out at the top of the list. A one demential forward, who makes $8.7m, can’t stay healthy, has had poor scoring totals, is prone to being “upset” if he doesn’t get his own way and hasn’t had a good year in like 5 years. More like a 5th for Laine, 3rd, 1st

Laine isn’t quality, he is a cap killer who can’t stay healthy and would require a massive sweetener.

His cap hit sucks for what he's been bringing to the table, but the deal only being 4 years tosses him out of "Top 5 worst contract" status.

Still not something you trade a recent Top 10 pick for lol.

Reactions: tunnelvision

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
His cap hit sucks for what he's been bringing to the table, but the deal only being 4 years tosses him out of "Top 5 worst contract" status.

Still not something you trade a recent Top 10 pick for lol.
Im not sure I agree, 4 years is a long time and outside Hubadreau, Seguin, Benn, Bob im
Not sure anyone has as a significant negative
Impact and most of those contracts are shorter. You can argue that Nurse, Jones, Skinner,
and Gaudreau are worse I guess.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Im not sure I agree, 4 years is a long time and outside Hubadreau, Seguin, Benn, Bob im
Not sure anyone has as a significant negative
Impact and most of those contracts are shorter. You can argue that Nurse, Jones, Skinner,
and Gaudreau are worse I guess.

Huberdeau, Benn, Nurse, and Jones for sure. I'd probably throw Tavares in there simply because, while he's still a good player, he's not $11M good, he has a full NTC, and the cap being 90%+ signing bonuses makes it buyout-proof. RyJo is in there. Honestly, I'm not liking Meier's contract for what he brings to the table, either.

Reactions: Fro

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Huberdeau, Benn, Nurse, and Jones for sure. I'd probably throw Tavares in there simply because, while he's still a good player, he's not $11M good, he has a full NTC, and the cap being 90%+ signing bonuses makes it buyout-proof. RyJo is in there. Honestly, I'm not liking Meier's contract for what he brings to the table, either.
Tavares is nearing the end of his contract and still maintains significant utility. Been only has 2 years left. The rest of the list I agree with a special gold star for Ryjo who is also fortunate at the end of his contract next year.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Tavares is nearing the end of his contract and still maintains significant utility. Been only has 2 years left. The rest of the list I agree with a special gold star for Ryjo who is also fortunate at the end of his contract next year.
Yeah I more meant the overall life of the contract. As far as trade value goes, the length left certainly has an influence.

Overall though, short team is less damaging than long term.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Laine fits zero of what Detroit needs. Not to say he isn't a productive player in the right situation but I can't see Lalonde being warm to bringing in his style of play and with Debrincat, Kane, Raymond, Perron, Compher, Larkin.. dont see a fit at all with his cap hit.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Laine’s AAV isn’t what I would consider “good value” for what you get.

Watching this guy as a Jets fan, he’s so bloody inconsistent. When he’s cold, he’s a huge detriment on the ice. When he’s hot, he’s quite terrific. I don’t think Laine is very professional. He’s quick to throw other people under the bus (whining in Winnipeg because he was ‘t on the top line, crying in Columbus because he was scratched). He could have been a superstar if he was commited to his craft.

I dunno. Not sure I would take on that contract AND give up good assets for him.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Laine’s AAV isn’t what I would consider “good value” for what you get.

Watching this guy as a Jets fan, he’s so bloody inconsistent. When he’s cold, he’s a huge detriment on the ice. When he’s hot, he’s quite terrific. I don’t think Laine is very professional. He’s quick to throw other people under the bus (whining in Winnipeg because he was ‘t on the top line, crying in Columbus because he was scratched). He could have been a superstar if he was commited to his craft.

I dunno. Not sure I would take on that contract AND give up good assets for him.

He's a higher peaking Anthony Mantha. Hard pass.

Reactions: oceanchild

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Veleno + Kasper + 2nd for Laine and 3rd
Absolutely Not.gif

Reactions: SoupNazi

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If you look at the forwards Yzerman drafts, signs and trades for, they all share some common characteristics. Laine just doesn’t fit what they do. A forward who’s available who does?? Lindholm in Calgary.

Every forward he’s collected, plays in traffic really well and creates their own space. Laine just doesn’t fit. You can even go back to Tampa. Same types of players, over and over again. I’d be shocked if Yzerman would ever consider Laine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad