Proposal: Laine to Calgary

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The Eichel price really doesn’t matter for multiple reasons.
Injured, big question markd around his surgery, relationship with the management all on top of a huge contract

I'm saying Calgary apparently balked at the price of Eichel; don't think Laine hits the radar nearly as high as Jack did.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Laine's trade value is interesting but I doubt Columbus trades him unless he refuses to sign beyond the one year. If he does refuse to sign he is one of those players that could get a really high return or relatively low return. I bet GMs are pretty divided on him.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I think Laine would not be the best fit in a Sutter lineup. Maybe I am wrong but in terms of chemistry I think there are better ways for CGY to spend the 9+m AAV he is going to ask for.

For sure this. Quite a few ways I'd rather spend 9 mill, and keep those assests.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I'm saying Calgary apparently balked at the price of Eichel; don't think Laine hits the radar nearly as high as Jack did.

Calgary balked at the price for Eichel, but I believe part of the issue was that Calgary also had to pay the necessary premium to dump cap to make it work before consummating the trade. IIRC VGK had Stone hit the LTIR and were able to swoop in and nab Eichel first, and figure out the cap part later, so could walk away with a lower initial price.

Basically the Flames were looking at borrowing costs to acquire Eichel at prime + X while VGK swooped in because they got zero percent financing till 2022 TDL repay in full whenever you want.

I think Flames should be 1C or bust, but I can see why we'd be milling around if Laine is potentially available for a reasonable price.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Laine's trade value is interesting but I doubt Columbus trades him unless he refuses to sign beyond the one year. If he does refuse to sign he is one of those players that could get a really high return or relatively low return. I bet GMs are pretty divided on him.

If i would be GM i would talk to him behind the scenes and pay the fee for that.
Than offersheet him 4.1 Mil for 1 year.
If Columbus matches, he will walk away for free after 1 year and if not, i get him for a 2nd rounder.
Since he already mentioned that he is interested to play in California, i would absolutely pull a stunt like that

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

How much of it was because of all the question marks around his injury, surgery and not playing for a long time while carrying a 10M cap hit?

I don’t have a clue what Laines value is right now but Eichel trade was a one off, not really comparable to any ”basic” big name trades

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Laine seems to have his game back. Unlikely he stays with Columbus after this year.

I think he would he awesome on the 2nd line and on the 1st PP. Calgary lacks that shooter than can score from a distance on the PP.

What would the ask be? How much would it cost to have his signed long term?
So what's the status with both Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Tkachuk? Gaudreau is a pending UFA that will cost in the $9,000,000 to $10,000,000 per range long term. Probably $9,000,000 for Matthew Tkachuk if not similar to Gaudreau. And Laine will be in the $8,500,000 range Calgary obviously can't afford all 3 i'd imagine Gaudreau is probably gone will probably go to either New Jersey or Philly this coming summer. I'd imagine Monahan+1st round pick for Laine as a starter with other pieces thrown in.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
How much of it was because of all the question marks around his injury, surgery and not pnaying for a long time?

I don’t have a clue what Laines value is right now but Eichel trade was a one off, not really comparable to any ”basic” big name trades

I might be in the minority, I’ll take Eichel with half a neck over Laine.

Like I said previously in this thread, it doesn’t make sense to what the Flames have going on in terms of cap unless Monahan goes out; but I cant see Calgary spending big assets on a guy who may not stay here long term and we have a ton of questions on the roster already.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
If i would be GM i would talk to him behind the scenes and pay the fee for that.
If Columbus matches, he will walk away for free after 1 year and if not, i get him for a 2nd rounder.
Since he already mentioned that he is interested to play in California, i would absolutely pull a stunt like that
That's just not a smart plan. Columbus matches and probably gives offer sheets to a number of Flames players knowing they are in a cap crunch. Starting with Tkachuk. Columbus has a lot of cap room and picks. Is that a war you want the Flames to try to fight?

Reactions: Toe Pick and Viqsi

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Laine and his agent would be pretty foolish to do that. What if he gets a career ending injury on that $4.1 mil contract? He would have cost himself $35 - 45 million or more.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That's just not a smart plan. Columbus matches and probably gives offer sheets to a number of Flames players knowing they are in a cap crunch. Starting with Tkachuk. Columbus has a lot of cap room and picks. Is that a war you want the Flames to try to fight?
That poster was a Kings fan talking about luring Laine to California. Therefore the targets would be guys like Kempe and Durzi.

Reactions: TaketheCannoli
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
That poster was a Kings fan talking about luring Laine to California. Therefore the targets would be guys like Kempe and Durzi.
Thanks for pointing out my incorrect assumption. I noticed that poster is from Calgary so I made a poor assumption.

Point taken, offer sheeting Columbus is a foolish move unless the team doing it has no valuable RFAs or lots of cap space to burn.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Not sure how you figure that.

Columbus would easily match, thank the Kings for such a cheap contract and then Laine would still be a RFA the following year.

Edit: Nevermind, I was wrong.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not sure how you figure that.

Columbus would easily match, thank the Kings for such a cheap contract and then Laine would still be a RFA the following year.

He'll be hitting UFA in 2023. It would suck for his trade value but it's still an obvious match. No point in making the offer sheet.

Reactions: Larry Hanson

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Laine is a terrible all around hockey player. I don't want him even for free. Pavelski is the player to target. Laine would wilt like Burger King lettuce under Dutter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad