TSN: Laine cleared to return from Player Assistance Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Cole Shelton has discussed a rumor regarding the Leafs being in on Laine.

Who is Cole Shelton and is he credible?

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
There's 0 evidence he's a problem in the locker room and what you posted doesn't support the claim that he is. He went out of his way to be a supportive teammate and invited Fantilli to stay with him and take him under his wing, something leadership in Winnipeg wouldn't do.

Yet this quote from Wheeler:
https://www.markerzone.com/news/?33009 said:
Never once was I hard on Patty — far from it. If anything, I was very respectful and coddled a young teenager and 20-year-old.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You seem to imply that you watched Laine in Winnipeg on a consistant basis. Is that the case?
I did not. What I did see was Laine start out rather roughly and steadily improve during his tenure here. He's not the same guy here he was in our year 1, so given that and the descrpitions I've heard of his time in Winnipeg, I figure it's a fairly safe surmise.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I did not. What I did see was Laine start out rather roughly and steadily improve during his tenure here. He's not the same guy here he was in our year 1, so given that and the descrpitions I've heard of his time in Winnipeg, I figure it's a fairly safe surmise.
If you did not then how can you compare Winnipeg’s Laine and Columbus Laine and say he’s not the same guy? Where is the logic in that?

Reactions: dukeofjive

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Yet this quote from Wheeler:
He also admitted that he handled the situation poorly and he couldve done a better job... So.

After the trade took place on Saturday, January 23, Wheeler partially admitted that he had handled some things poorly with Laine. “Maybe I could have communicated a little better instead of being frustrated.” Wheeler, of course, didn’t detail what exactly happened behind the scenes.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
He also admitted that he handled the situation poorly and he couldve done a better job... So.
Like Laine could have as well. He was a young man, adult, making millions as a professional athlete and he complained people were being mean to him. So...

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Are we looking at the same stats?

2.8 GF/60 and 4.3 GA/60 would equal a goal differential of -1.5 /60, not -2.5/60

At Even Strength. Not all situations. Hit the button that shows even strength. But as stated earlier by Whiskey, the average at the bottom is not correct and is a site glitch/error.

Reactions: Chainshot

ProfessorFink22

May 28, 2020
Like Laine could have as well. He was a young man, adult, making millions as a professional athlete and he complained people were being mean to him. So...
Most of us were picking our noses and learning to tie our shoes when we were 18, 19, 20, 21. Making millions, in a new country/culture, and with the pressure of playing in the best league in the world in a Canadian market with the hype he had on him, of course the guy made mistakes. As we all would have.

Are we really holding those things (we don't even know what happened or not) against him now, or pretending he doesn't deserve to have mental health because he got to be a professional athlete when he was 18? What purpose does it even serve?

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
If you did not then how can you compare Winnipeg’s Laine and Columbus Laine and say he’s not the same guy? Where is the logic in that?

I have watched him on both. He's gotten better overall over the years. More complete player.

Just like pretty much anyone, he's better at 26 than at 18-20. But he's had it rough with injuries.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
So we place the blame on a young kid, in a new country instead of the experienced MAN who has been identified as THE leader in the locker room?

As others have said, other, more experienced players had problems with Wheeler, yet nobody else has had anything negative to say about Laine since. It's been almost 10 years and stuff from his rookie and sophomore still follows him around and gets repeated as if he's the same immature kid. It couldn't be further from the truth.

Yet people like yourself CONSTANTLY rehash it. No matter how many people who are actually around him say otherwise.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
These have been listed in several threads. The Athletic, Columbus Dispatch, Finnish articles... It's common knowledge at this point.
common assumption

there is lists for the things he have gone through sure

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Most of us were picking our noses and learning to tie our shoes when we were 18, 19, 20, 21. Making millions, in a new country/culture, and with the pressure of playing in the best league in the world in a Canadian market with the hype he had on him, of course the guy made mistakes. As we all would have.

Are we really holding those things (we don't even know what happened or not) against him now, or pretending he doesn't deserve to have mental health because he got to be a professional athlete when he was 18? What purpose does it even serve?
My point and argument had nothing to do with his time spent in the Play Assistance Program.

I was simply saying that Laine could have been a bit more adult when explaining his reasons for demanding a trade, or not saying anything at all. At least Wheeler said he was partly to blame. Laine didn't say boo, except to complain about a couple of teammates.

Sure you could toss around an excuse due to his age at the time, but he's now doing the same thing in Columbus. But I won't give him a pass because of his age.

• Haha

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
So we place the blame on a young kid, in a new country instead of the experienced MAN who has been identified as THE leader in the locker room?

As others have said, other, more experienced players had problems with Wheeler, yet nobody else has had anything negative to say about Laine since. It's been almost 10 years and stuff from his rookie and sophomore still follows him around and gets repeated as if he's the same immature kid. It couldn't be further from the truth.
Its not often players will bash their teammates or former teammates, it doesn't mean that those issues don't exist.

What I do take note of is when players actually do make public complaints, that is a VERY telling character flaw to me.

• Haha

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

It's well known that for every $100k you are paid, your mental health improves and you become increasingly impervious to any negative thoughts or criticism. And it works even quicker if you are about 20 years old.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
So which teams could technically afford him even if Columbus absorbs 4 million+? I don't see any teams in their division probably work. So maybe out west? Could Utah work? Don't see teams who are coming off poor years be interested since he probably to old for their group.

Last edited:

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

Gross.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Since we are on the topic, Laine was not the only one having problems with Wheeler.

From an age old Jets subreddit post when Laine was traded:

55 & 26 run the show and if you’re not one of their underlings you’re made to feel unappreciated and we all know how that goes. A young player like Laine comes in, wants to be the man, wants to be appreciated and liked and gets this......

The list is long and storied:
Byfuglien has to be pulled off Wheeler in Colorado in a “players only meeting”

Chiarot offered the same take home $$$ but chooses to go to a worse (at the time) team. Also happened to get in 3 fights with Wheeler in practice the year before.

Roslovic wants nothing to do with signing after feeling unwanted.

Hayes gets traded to the Jets, expects to walk into a professional, contending room. Within 2 weeks he tells buddies he’s out of here as soon as the season is done and that “They’re f***ed; giant rift in the room”

55, 26 & 9 hire their own chef, trainer and strength & skills coaches. Change in play style almost immediate and change in attitudes too. Also don’t pay chef, get sued.

Byfuglien doesn’t even think twice about completely f***ing the team last summer. If you feel treated right, you think about treating the team right.

Free agents wanting to come to the Jets? Name one real A+ one. You can’t. That’s a culture thing, players talk.

Leaders talk players into home town discounts and then sign home run deals ($8.5M north of 30?) when it’s their turn...... Now 55 feels underpaid and is GONE when his deal is up (hence the need for PLD and them praying he signs 8x8 this summer. If he doesn’t? Big trouble)

People are blaming Laine. If he was made to feel wanted and appreciated, this never happens.

Sure, some of those points weren't on the money but there is ample proof the problems in Jets room back then went beyond Laine.

Edit: Had to remove some links because it just made a huge media player mess..

Last edited:

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Since we are on the topic, Laine was not the only one having problems with Wheeler.

From an age old Jets subreddit post when Laine was traded:

Sure, some of those points weren't on the money but there is ample proof the problems in Jets room back then went beyond Laine.
so much of that post is just made up lol...

Reactions: Luc Labelle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad