TSN: Laine cleared to return from Player Assistance Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Good lockeroom guy was the claim, show your data.

Two teams, two want outs.
What’s the trend?
Bullied as a young player in WPG and events in Columbus (loss of father, several injuries to start/stop/start his seasons, constant losing, lack of direction) that have created a poor environment for him? He's been great in Columbus with the young players, in the locker room and with his effort as a player. This is represented in several articles in Columbus (The Athletic, The Columbus Dispatch, The Hockey Writers, etc.).

I love how Dubois was (correctly) called a cancer for quitting on two different teams, yet Laine's quit on those same two teams and somehow he's not a problem?
I love how no one seems to look at the effort put forth by PLD vs that of Laine. There is absolutely no comparison. None.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I love how Dubois was (correctly) called a cancer for quitting on two different teams, yet Laine's quit on those same two teams and somehow he's not a problem?
It's almost as if...the situations and how the players have handled those situations are different.

PLD literally QUIT ON HIS TEAM IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME and literally forced his way out of CBJ and you could even say (partially, though more of a stretch) Torts as well.

How long did Laine continue to play for Winnipeg while waiting for a trade? I believe it was over an entire season( could be misremembering)

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
It's almost as if...the situations and how the players have handled those situations are different.

PLD literally QUIT ON HIS TEAM IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME and literally forced his way out of CBJ and you could even say (partially, though more of a stretch) Torts as well.

How long did Laine continue to play for Winnipeg while waiting for a trade? I believe it was over an entire season( could be misremembering)
I watched Laine in Winnipeg more than I ever cared to, effort was 100% a question. Most of the fans here just refused to admit it because he's the most talented player the city's seen since Selanne.

They're both headcases in their own unique ways. But at least PLD to his credit has one playoff series where he was the best player on the ice, which is more than I can say for Laine

Reactions: TS Quint

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Hon, we've watched him evolve as a player. He started out that bad, but has put in a lot more effort in subsequent years and thereby has managed to get to PPG one season and near-PPG the next. We've seen the progression.
I'm an impartial fan, and can tell you that Laine's compete level has been great in Columbus. He's really been putting in the effort.
At this point I guess we've just gotta wait and see what his trade value is. Is he traded closer to the value of a prime aged premium goal scorer, or an overpaid malcontent that's whined his way off 2 teams and can't put a full season together?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I've seen the odd Columbus game, enough to show that Laine is indeed the same dude he was his whole time in Winnipeg
Clearly that's not the case... had you been watching the even games you would clearly see the difference.

Just tell us you aren't a fan and haven't watched him since he left WPG. That is really OK.

At this point I guess we've just gotta wait and see what his trade value is. Is he traded closer to the value of a prime aged premium goal scorer, or an overpaid malcontent that's whined his way off 2 teams and can't put a full season together?
No... the reality is he is neither at this point. You use two extremes in your example when we all clearly know neither is accurate. If that's how you are gauging his value, then you will be incorrect on both accounts because the deal will reflect neither.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
No... the reality is he is neither at this point. You use two extremes in your example when we all clearly know neither is accurate. If that's how you are gauging his value, then you will be incorrect on both accounts because the deal will reflect neither.
You missed the part where I said "closer to..." because it's obvious I stated the two extremes and he'll land somewhere in between

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
Obviously I’m a blues fan so I think from their pov most of the time. But given their cap space and need for top 6 help combining that with laines most likely cheap-ish cost of acquisition, I would imagine they’re heavily interested in trading for him.

No clue what CBJ would want and what STL would be comfortable giving up for a high risk high reward type of player like Laine.

But as trading partners( + Jarmos connections to Army in STL) it seems like a match in my opinion. If STL isn’t against bringing him into the locker room affecting culture etc..
Agreed on the fit (with the cap room STL has and obvious spot available on RW). I wonder if Saad would waive to return to CBJ? A deal around Saad+? Then STL rolls with a top 6 of:

Buch-Thomas-Laine
Neighbours-Schenn-Kyrou

?

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Laine's last game with us was one of his best as a Jet

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Just look at those numbers. He's a -2.5GA/60 in his time in Columbus. That's shockingly bad.

Are we looking at the same stats?

2.8 GF/60 and 4.3 GA/60 would equal a goal differential of -1.5 /60, not -2.5/60

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
You see how impossibly wrong the numbers there are right?

Like, how's he averaging only 2.3 GF/60 over his 4 year CBJ career when his individual season totals were 2.3, 3.7, 3.0, and 3.5?

It looks like they just grabbed the numbers from his first season there and called them his 4 year average. They made the same mistake with his Winnipeg numbers. You can see the error again if you toggle to 5v5.

Hockey reference is apparently in need of some QA.
Lol thank you.. was just about to post the same thing.. kind of ironic that fans are so often ridiculed for their opinions about players they watch 82x a year, because “the advanced stats tell a different story” .. who knows how many times those advanced stats are based on numbers that are straight up wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad