TSN: Laine cleared to return from Player Assistance Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
We also have a bit too many wingers in the system. That's been slightly cleared up with recent moves by Waddell but there's still a lot to sort through. What we really need is shutdown defense.

That would limit candidates to guys like Savard, Struble and Protz as our other guys are more 2-way or offensive.

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Portzline on NHLN today saying that Waddell is looking for a hockey trade to bring in a veteran for Laine. Now I'm really confused.

The Athletic article by Prtzline said Waddell would prefer to take a player in lieu of retaining on Laine's contract. So perhaps that's the context?

Reactions: Marshall

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The Athletic article by Prtzline said Waddell would prefer to take a player in lieu of retaining on Laine's contract. So perhaps that's the context?
That makes sense except that last week it was said that Waddell was looking for picks and prospects.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Obviously I’m a blues fan so I think from their pov most of the time. But given their cap space and need for top 6 help combining that with laines most likely cheap-ish cost of acquisition, I would imagine they’re heavily interested in trading for him.

No clue what CBJ would want and what STL would be comfortable giving up for a high risk high reward type of player like Laine.

But as trading partners( + Jarmos connections to Army in STL) it seems like a match in my opinion. If STL isn’t against bringing him into the locker room affecting culture etc..

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Habs should be all in on Laine, he would solidify their top 6. I’d start with offering Calgary's 2025 first which most likely be Florida's 1st and see where it goes. Can always put conditions on the pick.

• Haha

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
happy for him. I hope he does well next year.
Me too, if he stays healthy I think he is going to put up some good numbers.

Assuming that's the highest bid, I would be okay with Armia + Struble + Florida's 1st.
100%. I’d even eat 50% of Armia’s contract.
If I had to, I’d add a late 2nd. I think PL is going to have a good year.

• Haha

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Obviously I’m a blues fan so I think from their pov most of the time. But given their cap space and need for top 6 help combining that with laines most likely cheap-ish cost of acquisition, I would imagine they’re heavily interested in trading for him.

No clue what CBJ would want and what STL would be comfortable giving up for a high risk high reward type of player like Laine.

But as trading partners( + Jarmos connections to Army in STL) it seems like a match in my opinion. If STL isn’t against bringing him into the locker room affecting culture etc..
i have bad news about jarmo, broter

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Um. You are aware that Kekalainen is not the GM here anymore, right?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I mean he's given up 4.8GA/60 at ES in his time in Columbus. That's not roughly average for that team. It's by far the worst on the team for any player. He also has seen extremely sheltered minutes and spent a lot of time with the one ice tilter Columbus has in Jenner. He's actually been significantly worse in Columbus defensively than he was in Winnipeg.

Just look at those numbers. He's a -2.5GA/60 in his time in Columbus. That's shockingly bad.

JFresh charts aren't in any way valid advanced stat models. Look at the data. That tells the real story. But yes, even in JFresh models which don't account for zone starts and account for special teams (Laine plays PP) he's still bad. What you see in those charts is a player who is below average offensively at 5 on 5, which I would debate as well. He's essentially making hay on the PP. Exactly like Kuzmenko which has been my contention.
Laine improved every player, every line in the 2022/23 season. His centers were grinder Jenner and especially winger Roslovic, played especially with Peeke, Gudbranson and Berni in defense. Yes, he played many time with Gaudreau but Johnny made his worse on the other side Patrik improved Johnny.

And he had 0,94 PPG, if 82 games - 78 points. The best PPG in the team, although he was often injured was better than Gaudreau. Played excellent without the puck in defense. Btw, I watched every CBJ game.

Show me TOP player with similar conditions.

Lumii_20240730_063405126.jpg

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I don't want him for 2 years while we're rebuilding. If he does well, he'll want more $ than Suzuki and co,, we'll say no and we'll let him walk, and if he doesn't do well, we'll again, let him walk. So I don't see the benefit in paying valuable assets for him for 2 years.

Add in his weaknesses defensively, his unlikable personality (my opinion), any of his off-ice issues and this is a very hard no from me.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I don't know Laine personally, but as a Finn and based on his general reputation in Finnish hockey circles, I really don't believe for a moment he's any kind of problem in a locker room. To me he seems like a guy who probably doesn't do that much for a room either way, but might maybe be a litmus paper test that will show up bright red if you have problems.

OTOH he did sort of help Fantilli or at least tried to and the past seasons he seemed to make some efforts to be more of a leader in CBJ, but I'm not sure how natural that would be for him or how good he'd actually be at it.

Like I said I don't know the guy or have any insider information so I don't really know. My belief is he'd be a good fit for a team with good room & culture and you wouldn't have to worry about him somehow ruining it, but I wouldn't sign him hoping to fix any issues there or expect him to perform at his best in such environment.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

1. Do you think they just took the "C" away from Wheeler?

2. In that case the PP was the problem, otherwise Laine and Larsen had a great relationship.

Reactions: Fro

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

Posting 3+ year old articles don't support your case. The environment was toxic, not Laine.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Mental health reset. Loss of his father, multiple injuries disrupting career and consistent losing is the prevailing belief.
Yeah alot of the trade request is he wants to be put on a "winning team" or one close to it to reset his outlook (and most likely personal worth). He was supposed to be "the guy" here in Columbus and all that pressure to try to leading the lines/team and the constant injuries/losing probably took a heavy toll on himself. Its no different than being a manager of a team that has extensive overturn and while the team gets trained you dont hit your metrics and when supervisors bring you in saying its all your fault (which they have no clue what they are talking about because all they do is sit on the top floor pretending to be important)...which makes you feel like you're worthless and the problem...I know I was there 3 years ago (Which is why I told them to F*** off and got a new position)...same idea

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Good lockeroom guy was the claim, show your data.

Two teams, two want outs.
What’s the trend?
There's 0 evidence he's a problem in the locker room and what you posted doesn't support the claim that he is. He went out of his way to be a supportive teammate and invited Fantilli to stay with him and take him under his wing, something leadership in Winnipeg wouldn't do.

He went out of his way to go to Vincent and told him he would attempt to learn a new position (center) if it would help the team.

Sounds like a real locker room cancer to me :rolleyes:

Literally 10 seconds of research.
According to the report, outside the locker room, both Wheeler and Scheifele would make things difficult for Laine and talk behind his back. Coach Paul Maurice would not interfere and just let Wheeler and Scheifele lead the team the way they wanted. Thus, the situation in Winnipeg was difficult for Laine.

After the trade took place on Saturday, January 23, Wheeler partially admitted that he had handled some things poorly with Laine. “Maybe I could have communicated a little better instead of being frustrated.” Wheeler, of course, didn’t detail what exactly happened behind the scenes.

Jalonen, the reporter from Iltalehti, noticed how the Jets have lost so many players in recent years, including Evander Kane, Jacob Trouba, Dustin Byfuglien, Jack Roslovic and Patrik Laine, all of whom wanted out of Winnipeg. He pointed out that Byfuglien even ended his career in the middle of the contract period. Hence, Jalonen wonders if “there is something rotten in the club led by GM Kevin Cheveldayoff and in the locker room led by Wheeler.”

“He’s a real team player,” Kirill Marchenko said. “It’s really cool because he wants to help himself and the team. I know it’s big respect for him. Everything is good. I like it.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad