TSN: Laine cleared to return from Player Assistance Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Attitude problem, traded despite value. Sounds like a future capital. Seriously why does it always seem like the line is he is a great player BUT!!!!!!!

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Laine @50% for a 2nd + Accairi.

Get a 2nd and get a bottom 6 Swiss army knife.

Pittsburgh takes him on.

Only way cap wise

Other options would be Rakkell for Laine.

A winger that pots 20 goals in and plays either wing for Laine straight up.

28 year before. 18 goal pace this past year

Would be targeting at a 70 or 80 cents per dollar as he has asked for a trade request and the player assistance program sting.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I haven't seen him in a while and haven't really followed what's been going on with him but was looking up his stats and was surprised to see, in his first 4 seasons he missed only 7 games total. In his last 3 years he's played in 129 of 246 games or 52% of possible games yet he has 117 pts in those 129 games, that's f***ing crazy. To miss that much time (almost 1 1/2) yet when he plays he's close to a ppg (.91%)

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Pittsburgh is waiting. Jarry and Rakell for Laine and Merzilkins. Change of scenery all around.
That seems hilariously bad for Pittsburgh. I get why Dubas would do it, he loves his overpaid offence-only players and $5m AHL goalies, but why would a Pens fan want this?

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I haven't seen him in a while and haven't really followed what's been going on with him but was looking up his stats and was surprised to see, in his first 4 seasons he missed only 7 games total. In his last 3 years he's played in 129 of 246 games or 52% of possible games yet he has 117 pts in those 129 games, that's f***ing crazy. To miss that much time (almost 1 1/2) yet when he plays he's close to a ppg (.91%)
All the injuries have been freak one-off ones, two just this past season the result of targeting by opposing players. None are recurring or chronic. And let's be real, it's been a miserable few years for the Blue Jackets as a whole. Laine is not immune to that.

He's had a 65 point pace since joining the Jackets.
Says more about the Jackets than it does Laine, tbh.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
That seems hilariously bad for Pittsburgh. I get why Dubas would do it, he loves his overpaid offence-only players and $5m AHL goalies, but why would a Pens fan want this?
A number of reasons. First the player. Pittsburgh's A #1 with a bullet problem last season was the power play. The coach was changed which should help, but they are still missing a right handed shot trigger man. Laine can be exactly that.

Now the plan. Pittsburgh has effectively thrown in the towel on making the playoffs next season, and on competing for at least two, if ever in the Crosby era. Laine is a boom or bust lotto ticket. If it works, you either resign him for the twilight run of Sid's career or trade him for assets before his contract expires in two seasons. If it doesn't, he's off the books before Dubas wants to make a real go at it.

With the rest, Rakell is a vanilla winger on a long term deal that might bounce back himself, might not. Either way the cap space is free when Dubas needs it. Jarry is better than Merzilkins, but again is signed longer for a little more money. The pens have options in the system so Elvis doesn't have to be the guy here. He would either be traded or bought out in two years.

I'd probably prefer to just do Laine for Rakell, but I'm willing to give to get here.

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
A number of reasons. First the player. Pittsburgh's A #1 with a bullet problem last season was the power play. The coach was changed which should help, but they are still missing a right handed shot trigger man. Laine can be exactly that.

Now the plan. Pittsburgh has effectively thrown in the towel on making the playoffs next season, and on competing for at least two, if ever in the Crosby era. Laine is a boom or bust lotto ticket. If it works, you either resign him for the twilight run of Sid's career or trade him for assets before his contract expires in two seasons. If it doesn't, he's off the books before Dubas wants to make a real go at it.

With the rest, Rakell is a vanilla winger on a long term deal that might bounce back himself, might not. Either way the cap space is free when Dubas needs it. Jarry is better than Merzilkins, but again is signed longer for a little more money. The pens have options in the system so Elvis doesn't have to be the guy here. He would either be traded or bought out in two years.

I'd probably prefer to just do Laine for Rakell, but I'm willing to give to get here.
I think we can get a fair deal for Laine without extending our mid goalie on a bad contract issue.

Reactions: Viqsi

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The Ducks are one of the few teams that can afford the cap hit outright. Verbeek stated an interest in adding a top six right shot scorer, did not land one in FA. That said, I can see some hesitance to add a player with questionable effort when building a young team. The fit is there in theory, just a matter of whether the team actually wants the player.

Laine
Conditional 2026 pick (based on Laine games played)

for

McGinn (1 year 2.8M possibly LTIR) + some combo of picks and prospects, hard to really say how much.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Honestly, I think Chicago would be the best fit for a fresh start because Bedard would likely set him up for some nice goals. I'd like to see Seattle but Utah is another honourable mention for a fresh start as well. Anaheim, Vancouver or San Jose wouldn't be bad ideas either.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
When and link.
I’ve had broken collarbones, and didn’t have the treatment Laine would have have, was back playing in 2 months, felt 100% after 3-4 months.

He’s not still recovering from collarbone, unless has carpal tunnel from Fortnite now.
He had surgery in June, had his shoulder cleaned, nothing serious.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Minimal trade value and an always overrated player.

Insanely one dimensional, can't stay on ice, seems to quit on his teams, has had one noteworthy season in the league.

Not someone you trade premium high-end assets for.

Bro, its not 2021 anymore, its 2024 and the pandemic is in the past!

On a more serious note instead of just feeding the trolls, I see Carolina, Winnipeg or Anaheim as most likely destinations.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Laine @50% for a 2nd + Accairi.

Get a 2nd and get a bottom 6 Swiss army knife.

Pittsburgh takes him on.

Only way cap wise

Other options would be Rakkell for Laine.

A winger that pots 20 goals in and plays either wing for Laine straight up.

28 year before. 18 goal pace this past year

Would be targeting at a 70 or 80 cents per dollar as he has asked for a trade request and the player assistance program sting.
Hon, you didn't even manage 7 or 8 cents, let alone 70 or 80.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

The bolded is why Rakell is a non-negotiable nonstarter. AAV can be dealt with. Term will not be.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Minimal trade value
Debatable
an always overrated player.
Your assessment belies this.
Insanely one dimensional
Not even remotely true.
can't stay on ice,
One-off injuries, but otherwise true.
seems to quit on his teams,
Never has. He's asked out but never quit.
has had one noteworthy season in the league.
This is the most ludicrously absurd thing in your entire post.

So, basically, you're 1 for 6 in your assessment. Not very good work. I advise you get over the days when folks used to insist he was better than Matthews and stop butting into threads trying to push nonsense narratives about the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad