Rumor: Lafreniere Unlikely To Negotiate Extension This Summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
First off, I just want to point out this is only a rumour or is being speculated nothing more. The Rangers do have some contracts coming due in the next 2 years and they will most likely be able to hold on to Laffy; but he may be holding out for better leverage by waiting it out.

Whatever the case is, his 5v5 or even strength production is some of the best in the league point for point and whatever happens; he will absolutely be getting paid.

He was ripped on early on for not being the ed all be all 1st overall pick type. But his production 5v5/even strength over the last 3 years and his playoffs this year sure do make him the exact type of player everyone would want on their team.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vincent Z. Mercogliano of USA Today writes that he doesn’t expect the New York Rangers and young forward Alexis Lafrenière will engage in contract extension talks this summer when the 22-year-old becomes eligible. Lafrenière is entering the second and final year of an extension that will pay him just $2.325MM next season and is reportedly content with playing out the deal and negotiating an extension next summer when he will have arbitration rights. The Rangers are facing a major cap crunch this summer and could be in more trouble next July when a potential Igor Shesterkin extension will kick in.

A former first-overall pick in 2020, Lafrenière looked like a potential bust early in his career, producing modest offensive success in New York. However, his offensive production has improved in each season of his career, producing career highs last year in goals (28), assists (29), points (57), and games (82) played.

It’s unclear if the Rangers want to lock up Lafrenière long-term but it would make sense if they did, given that another improvement in his offensive production will surely push the AAV on his next contract up dramatically. Lafrenière is not just an offensive player but is willing to get involved physically and has no issues with getting to the high-danger areas and being difficult to play against.

If he takes another big step next season, there is no way to tell what a long-term extension could look like for St-Eustache, Quebec native, or what kind of salary cap gymnastics the Rangers would need to play to fit him under the salary cap.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
He's just now looking like a breakout star. Wonder what his comparables for a bridge deal would be.

I would absolutely be interested in trading for him if they can't come to an agreement and he takes the 1 year qualifier.

• Haha
Reactions: RangersFan1994

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Based on him jumping from 39 points to 57 points last year, I'd be doing the same thing.

If he can make another jump to a 70+ point guy, he's looking at over $7.5 million on an extension. If he were to extend right now, I think he'd be closer to $5.5 million a year on an extension.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
guy can't even break 60 points with a 120-pt linemate he's a bust and a half.

lol at "even strength production some of the best in the league." way to cherry pick stats. what's next, isolating playoff production? or looking at game winning production when games are late and close?

spoiler: /s

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018

lol at "even strength production some of the best in the league." way to cherry pick stats. what's next, isolating playoff production? or looking at game winning production when games are late and close?

I mean who even wants a guy who's total points production has 5v5/even strength numbers not seen since the mid 80s/early 90s when you look at his total points vs his total 5v5/even strength numbers. Numbers, not metrics.

total bum, sell him for a 5th

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
He doesn’t owe the Rangers a discount the way they jerked him around and almost derailed his career. I hope he pops off this season and demands 9+ million next summer.

I don’t mind the Rangers paying big money to on players that actually deserve it
Because I'm a fan of Jovanovski, I'm prepared on behalf of the nucks to negotiate the rights to Kravstov for Laff but you guys will owe us big-time😉😁

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased

This post is noncents

Reactions: MVP Zacha

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Vince is a nice guy but literally only writes articles that boil down to absolutely nothing of substance. So, it is kind of amusing that enough could even be mustered from one his articles to scrape together the bare minimum to make a thread lol

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Good for him. He's finally improving but has very little negotiating power right now with only one good season (part of one season where he was really good?). If he continues to get better this year, he'll have a lot more leverage.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I see why he would wait (leverage) but theres always the chance he stagnates for a year or, worse, is injured and regresses for the year. Thatd hurt his value he can ask for

Its probably the right move for him but - would the Rangers really say no if he asked for 6.5-7 right now? They still get him at a low hit this season and, if their faith in him is strong, itll be a great deal

Yea, most RFAs don't negotiate a full year early, what an odd thread to make.
Most RFAs arent 1st overall picks either; unless hes looking for more than, say, a Hischier deal itd be wise if he just signed now. His potential should afford him more than the 5ish mil hes already worth

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I see why he would wait (leverage) but theres always the chance he stagnates for a year or, worse, is injured and regresses for the year. Thatd hurt his value he can ask for

Its probably the right move for him but - would the Rangers really say no if he asked for 6.5-7 right now? They still get him at a low hit this season and, if their faith in him is strong, itll be a great deal

Most RFAs arent 1st overall picks either; unless hes looking for more than, say, a Hischier deal itd be wise if he just signed now. His potential should afford him more than the 5ish mil hes already worth
I believe the Rangers would give him 6 x 6.5 right now. I'm guessing he is hoping to put up 75+ points with another very good postseason and then ask for like 8 x 8.

Reactions: Moist ReadOnly

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I believe the Rangers would give him 6 x 6.5 right now. I'm guessing he is hoping to put up 75+ points with another very good postseason and then ask for like 8 x 8.
Risky bet but a decent one I suppose if hes confident. I think, if he got it done now, you could sneak out 7x7 (the Hischier deal I referenced); doesnt capitalize on the future cap rise but doesnt risk a bad or injured season for an extra 8mil along the life of the very lucrative contract

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Based on him jumping from 39 points to 57 points last year, I'd be doing the same thing.

If he can make another jump to a 70+ point guy, he's looking at over $7.5 million on an extension. If he were to extend right now, I think he'd be closer to $5.5 million a year on an extension.
If he gets 1 PP time, he already eclipses that this past season. Add that to the playoffs he had where he was a PPG even strength with some highlight reel goals and he’s gonna get paid….

It’s malpractice to not have him start on the 1 PP unit next season…..
My guys between 8-9 mill per on his next deal.
Kids is already an even strength beast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad