Lafreniere trade for a draft pick - what would he fetch?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What's the most Lafreniere could fetch in a trade today?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I feel as though we had this thread a year ago and majority HF opinion on Lafreniere was really low. I think a lot said he's not even worth a first round pick anymore, and most had him outside the top 10.

So hypothetical - what could Rangers get for Lafreniere today at the draft if they traded him 1 for 1 for a high pick?

This is more about gauging his value then believing he's actually being traded- so no point replying "he's not for trade"

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Former 1st overall guy had good breakout and playoffs it depends on the draft and the players available would be worth 4-7 this year as he is a winger and holds less value than a center or dman with top potential would rank demimedov above him so I put him at 5

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
in this year's draft? probably 9th or 10th (Iginla, Sennecke, Eiserman)

I dont think he would go for any of the big Dmen: Lev, Buium, Silayev, Parekh, Dickinson

Reactions: BLNY

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I'm surprised there are so many votes for that last option. We're talking about a guy who can score over 50 ES points and who scored a bunch of goals in the playoffs against teams that aren't easy to score on.

The chances of drafting a better player with a non-top ten draft pick are low. I'd trade a first and a second to have him on TOR for the playoffs.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Honestly as a Blackhawks fan I would trade down with Montreal so they can get Demidov and trade the fifth for Lafreniere.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think you could make an argument for anywhere from 4th to 10th. He had a great year, got a big boost playing alongside Panarin and Trocheck. And then had an even better playoffs, was the best winger on his line.

Credit to him for keeping with it, and credit to Laviolette for putting him in a situation to turn it around. It wasn't that long ago (pre-season) where there were talks about the Rangers getting rid of him (and he looked terrible in pre-season).

I still think he tops out at around a 30g 60-70p complimentary PWF, though that total could be even higher depending on linemates / usage. I projected him as a more skilled, softer Landeskog at the time of the draft, and that still feels pretty spot on.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm surprised there are so many votes for that last option. We're talking about a guy who can score over 50 ES points
I think there should be a bit of an asterisk there. He had a great year, but was still the third best player on his line.

There is obviously value to having a guy who can play and produce with great players, but I think that context is necessary.

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'm surprised there are so many votes for that last option. We're talking about a guy who can score over 50 ES points and who scored a bunch of goals in the playoffs against teams that aren't easy to score on.

The chances of drafting a better player with a non-top ten draft pick are low. I'd trade a first and a second to have him on TOR for the playoffs.

Toronto’s 1st and 2nd wouldn’t get a pick in the top 10, so saying you’d trade both doesn’t really address the value issue you seem to have with people saying 10+ for Laf.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Toronto’s 1st and 2nd wouldn’t get a pick in the top 10, so saying you’d trade both doesn’t really address the value issue you seem to have with people saying 10+ for Laf.

If TOR had the seventh or eighth pick, I'd be content with having the pick traded for Lafreniere.

TOR has the 23rd pick and I think he has much more value than that. I'd gladly add a second to acquire him.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
He wasn’t the best winger on his line, he was the best winger on the team - a final four team. I am happy to see people still assuming he basically hit his ceiling already this year, it’s going to make it sweeter when he adds 30 points of PP production to what he did this year.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Would a team picking in the top 10 want a Lafreniere or prefer to have an 18 year old with square one contract status etc.

I'm not calling Lafreniere old though. You have Lafreniere making 2.3 and then needing a new contract or a guy on an elc for 3.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
6-10 feels about right

i'd definitely rather have Demidov than him but after that i'd start to seriously consider it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad