Music: Lady Gaga's Super Bowl Performance

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I don't get what all the fuss is about

All I saw was an oddly dressed woman dancing badly to equally bad music

And why do all these pop stars need back up dancers? I just don't understand who is entertained but this stuff. It's the same **** every time

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Can we all agree the worst choice for the halftime show was back in 2006 when The Rolling Stones performed in Detroit?

I didn't even see the performance, but how do you have the Super Bowl in Motown and not have someone like Stevie Wonder as the musical guest

That borders on criminal negligence

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Can we all agree the worst choice for the halftime show was back in 2006 when The Rolling Stones performed in Detroit?

I didn't even see the performance, but how do you have the Super Bowl in Motown and not have someone like Stevie Wonder as the musical guest

That borders on criminal negligence
No. We can't agree. It is an alternative fact that all the Stones are from Detroit (except Charlie who is from Saginaw).

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
super bowl half time shows need to be more hardcore

i know pop stars have a broader appeal but having said that it is football

the super bowl needs less main stream fluff and more of this:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't get what all the fuss is about

All I saw was an oddly dressed woman dancing badly to equally bad music

I like her music, but I don't get what the fuss with that performance is, either. My only thought is that people liked seeing her perform so many of her hit songs that she probably hadn't performed publicly in years... and doing so while looking and acting relatively normal for her for once (i.e. no dress made of meat or climbing out of an egg). If we're comparing to past Gaga or Super Bowl performances, I can maybe see it, but, just taking it on its own, it didn't strike me as exemplary.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Bring less mainstream fluff to something that's extremely mainstream? Makes sense.

Well, if you're cool with Lady Gaga, The Black Eyed Peas, Beyonce, Katy Perry, etc, then I guess it is working for you.

Me? Considering the violent, testosterone fueled sport that is football, I believe bands like Gorgoroth, Marduk, Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir, Mayhem, Deicide, etc are more apt.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I like her music, but I don't get what the fuss with that performance is, either. My only thought is that people liked seeing her perform so many of her hit songs that she probably hadn't performed publicly in years... and doing so while looking and acting relatively normal for her for once (i.e. no dress made of meat or climbing out of an egg). If we're comparing to past Gaga or Super Bowl performances, I can maybe see it, but, just taking it on its own, it didn't strike me as exemplary.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, having only one performer works well. More coherent and fluid.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Well, if you're cool with Lady Gaga, The Black Eyed Peas, Beyonce, Katy Perry, etc, then I guess it is working for you.

Me? Considering the violent, testosterone fueled sport that is football, I believe bands like Gorgoroth, Marduk, Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir, Mayhem, Deicide, etc are more apt.

It's never going to happen. It's not so much that the former are great artists - they're not - but they're always going to go with fluff and mainstream appeal for the half-time show. Millions upon millions of people are watching and these are the acts with the marketing machine behind them to bring viewers in. It's a family event, at the end of the day.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I like how this narrative of Lady Gaga being a super weirdo that does super weird things in public is still going when she has significantly done less of that for the past half a decade.

lol metal fans.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm not even sure why she's always being considered a '' weirdo '' anyhow. She just did what pop stars often do; '' edgy '' actions to bring attention upon themselves.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
For full disclosure, I am not a fan of her music, but this was one of the best halftime performance in years. I never watch the half-time performances, but I actually stayed for the whole thing this time. Katy Perry's show last year was impressive, but the props had a large part to do with it. GaGa, on the other hand, captured the crowd's attention mainly through her music and performance, so that is what the big fuss is.

Plus, in past shows, NFL forces the performers to lip-sync, in order to prevent any technical issues, or "malfunctions". GaGa eschews the restrictions, and actually performed live, in front of one of the largest crowds in any venue. That is impressive, no matter how you look at it.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Plus, in past shows, NFL forces the performers to lip-sync, in order to prevent any technical issues, or imperfections. GaGa eschews the restrictions, and actually performed live, in front of one of the largest crowds in any venue. That is impressive, no matter how you look at it.

What does that say about the music industry when a singer is given credit for actually singing?

I have zero interest in any "artist" who would agree to lip-sync their performance

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I was worried she would get political but it ended up being probably my second favorite Half Time Show behind Prince. She was great last night and very entertaining.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
16406503_900624940079927_4883420336722115291_n.jpg

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
I don't listen to her music but she has a lot of talent and put on a good show....same way I felt about Bruno Mars' halftime performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad