Post-Game Talk: Ladies and Gents- The Core of the Maple Leafs does it again. Leafs lose

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
I hope he’s not Jake Muzzin part 2.
Both are what we need but their health track record is sketchy.

Oh, he's definitely going to be Muzzin 2.0

That was probably the expectation when he signed. The leafs are going to eat a couple of years on that deal.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
.500 team after 8 games. Not great for a supposed favourite to win the division. The good thing is that the whole division is very mid right now so nobody is running away with it early.

Not a single conclusion can really be drawn after 8 games, especially with a new coach staff and players and goalies, etc. I would be surprised if we ended up being a worse team than last season (although I wouldn't exactly be shocked), give it atleast 20-25 games before we get any real idea of what this team is going to be. I will predict now that we are infact a better overall team and will see our best results yet in the playoffs, and our regular season will be more or less what it was last year.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
This was kind of inevitable when the best the org could do was shuffle coaching despite it clearly being a top end player and leadership issue. Shanahan is the first that needs to go, about 3 seasons ago.

Reactions: OddyOh and Moonman

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
And so now it begins.....our new shiny toy Berube isnt the Saviour every one thought he would be.

Its early....but the same supposed problems still remain. We got older and supposedly tougher but that is debatable if adding Reaves and his likes do anything positive to this team.

Maybe its time to question Rielly? He always gets a pass for whatever reason. Tanev now is finding out its not easy to play with Rielly. Brodie looks better this year than last year with the leafs....maybe its just a coincidence.

You cant win with subpar goaltending. And OEL has been our best defenceman and it really hasnt been close thru these 71 yr old eyes.

The stars have to be better. With this new system Mathews may never see 60 goals in a season again and thats ok if others pick up the slack and we are better defensively.

Is it time to put Domi back with Mathews? Johnny T needs to be better but the 3rd line suits him better than the 2nd line. Moving Domi will create a spot at center and we dont have much depth there.

Tre didnt do the team any favors with Lilly contract ....Kampf has to be traded also as combined thats gives them some space to take a center on thru a trade.

Being goalied the past two games is just a excuse. The stars need to score because we will get very little from 3rd and 4th lines. Either Berube has to give the stars more minutes like over 20 constantly or the bottom six need to step up.

Marner looks like will play the season out and cash in when free agency starts. He wont waive and thats his right. Berube should move him off Mathews line tho IMHO

The Reaves bad luck charm continues......another start.....another leaf loss.

Reactions: arso40

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Fugly. Last nights effort just wasn't there. No idea why. I love #34 but for whatever reason he didn't come to play last night. Seeing the coach rip him on the bench was justified. I have a feeling Saturday's game is going to be telling. A rival we hate, new coach. I'm hoping to see some jump especially from our best players. Marner must have been reading this site during the summer. He has been uninspired in most of the games this season. Going to be a interesting season. I don't see a middle ground. They either figure it out and play great later in the season or start tanking after the holidays. I'm glad Keefe is gone. He never went after our better players. I'm sure #34 can take the criticism from his coach. Looking forward to Saturday. Intercourse The Bruins.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Fugly. Last nights effort just wasn't there. No idea why. I love #34 but for whatever reason he didn't come to play last night. Seeing the coach rip him on the bench was justified. I have a feeling Saturday's game is going to be telling. A rival we hate, new coach. I'm hoping to see some jump especially from our best players. Marner must have been reading this site during the summer. He has been uninspired in most of the games this season. Going to be a interesting season. I don't see a middle ground. They either figure it out and play great later in the season or start tanking after the holidays. I'm glad Keefe is gone. He never went after our better players. I'm sure #34 can take the criticism from his coach. Looking forward to Saturday. Intercourse The Bruins.

I haven’t really liked all that much out of Auston Matthews since his 2 goal Detroit game when he got to 69 goals and then took a tumble on his 70th.

Between pressing for that record, the injury plagued and underachieving first round to the sluggish offensive start this year, it just seems like there’s a big disconnect between being dominant at 200 feet consistently, directly translating to high end production and team success. It’s up and down, inconsistent and spurts here and there, missed chances, posts etc.

Reactions: sampollock

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Who else thinks Tanev is playing hurt? He’s been awful the last two games………..

He is clearly hurt he took a couple of nasty slapshots to the lower body multiple games in a row, and was hobbling around afterwards after blocking shots..

Bruins look very mediocre early this year but they can always surprise. I thought they’d be at this point back in 2023 and somehow they pulled off the greatest regular season of all time.

Swayman is all I got to say .....

giphy.gif

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Bruins fan here. Let me assure you, we are NOT a good team. We are terrible actually.

..and you have ugly uniforms... oooppps sorry ...instinct to hate on a Bruin fan kicked in...... I see your colors in my nightmares.... 8 years of you guys kicking our arses.... year after year after year after year...

giphy.gif

Q: What did one Leaf fan say to the other leaf fan after the Leafs beat the Bruins in the playoffs....?
A:

Reactions: I Hate Philadelphia

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
There's a whole crew that have a special view on things that will disagree with that.

... he didn't deserve his contract, he didn't workout in the off season..no wait he doesnt hit people.. no wait weak shot...no wait he is selfish .. no wait he does not score enough...noooo.. he lets people carjack him .... uhhhh .... the does the Gritty... uh he's a god.... he's slow ... why do we hate him today... I've lost track?

I want to know if they score in practice?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Before the Panthers run in 2023 they struggled a lot with the new Paul Maurice system. I’m not expecting a miraculous transformation into a killer team in the end but I do agree that the bad habits are basically baked into their DNA and you can see the complacency at the very top of the roster. They are who they are.
Florida’s core, with or without Maurice, have a willingness to play physical hockey. Berube faces a bigger challenge. Marner and Nylander, in particular, avoid physicality, and the entire Leafs core tends to skate away from scrums. Coaches are taught to develop a system around the team, not a team around a system. For years management has tried to pay the core top dollars but build the leadership and physicality from the depth players and money, its unconventional and it hasnt worked.

i dont think there is room for both Nylander and Marner.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Florida’s core, with or without Maurice, have a willingness to play physical hockey. Berube faces a bigger challenge. Marner and Nylander, in particular, avoid physicality, and the entire Leafs core tends to skate away from scrums. Coaches are taught to develop a system around the team, not a team around a system. For years management has tried to pay the core top dollars but build the leadership and physicality from the depth players and money, its unconventional and it hasnt worked.

i dont think there is room for both Nylander and Marner.
#34 is not physical either

JT is the one that will be gone when he is gone

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
#34 is not physical either

JT is the one that will be gone when he is gone
Not true... Matthews battles and he will play physical. He is certainly not afraid of the rough stuff. Some of the biggest playoff goals were from him finishing hits. Marner, without a doubt, consciously tries to avoid it and his brain is always scanning for physical danger.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Not true... Matthews battles and he will play physical. He is certainly not afraid of the rough stuff. Some of the biggest playoff goals were from him finishing hits. Marner, without a doubt, consciously tries to avoid it and his brain is always scanning for physical danger.
Mitch is not a big guy
He can't play the physical game

Reactions: Antropovsky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad