Post-Game Talk: Ladies and Gents- The Core of the Maple Leafs does it again. Leafs lose

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yet he has 3 goals, same as Matthews and Marner has 1. He has also been a beast, which is more I can say for the other 2
I’ve noticed he botches a lot of plays. They tried McMann last night with those two so I’d try it a little while.
Or maybe switch Marner with Nylander.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
The complaints about Knies on the first line are hilarious. This man is on a line with 24 million dollars in the players and Knies is the guy not good enough?

Really?

So Nylander can logically say my line mates are like a 3C and a top 9 winger.

Put Marner on the 3rd line with Tavares. Move Roberson up to Matthews line. Run 3 equal lines.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think a loss on Saturday in Boston triggers major changes to this squad.

Like cutting Reaves ice time to 7 min.

Hold on to your butts leafs nation!
The Leafs are the masters of deception.
They will crush the Bruins and everyone cheers all is good. You can’t trust Pelley and Shanahan. Same for the team. Believe a while before they gut punch you.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Yet he has 3 goals, same as Matthews and Marner has 1. He has also been a beast, which is more I can say for the other 2
Oh Knies definitely is not the problem on that line. There are other changes I'd make first. Just speaking about the player in isolation, I've noticed a lot of plays die on his stick. It's a tall order going up against the other teams top pairs every night, not sure he's ready. But at the same time not many other options. Sort of like Hyman in his earlier years.

Reactions: Nineteen67

myleafs

May 25, 2021
View attachment 921399

Maple Leafs head coach Craig Berube was less than impressed with the defensive play of his top line on Thursday and gave an earful to Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner and Matthew Knies.​

The Leafs welcomed the St. Louis Blues to Scotiabank Arena on Thursday after returning home from Columbus following a stinker of an effort on Tuesday on the second half of a back-to-back. The hope was that the Leafs would bring a much better effort to the table on Thursday. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

View attachment 921403

Wouldn't it have been nice to send a message and sit those guys in the 3rd? Saying he wasn't impressed but didn't change up or alter anything is a whole lot of meh.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Possibly that blocked shot on the PK in the TB game?
Which one? Guy was blocking some real bullets. No one, and I mean no one xan sustain that punishment game in, game out let alone a thirty something vet…….

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Which one? Guy was blocking some real bullets. No one, and I mean no one xan sustain that punishment game in, game out let alone a thirty something vet…….

Luckily he was only signed for 6 years until he is 40.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think these guys love to play that run and gun style looking to pad stats.

At some point they will have to buy into the new way of playing that Berube is trying to instill.

Let's see where they're at after 20 games.

Before the Panthers run in 2023 they struggled a lot with the new Paul Maurice system. I’m not expecting a miraculous transformation into a killer team in the end but I do agree that the bad habits are basically baked into their DNA and you can see the complacency at the very top of the roster. They are who they are.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The Leafs are the masters of deception.
They will crush the Bruins and everyone cheers all is good. You can’t trust Pelley and Shanahan. Same for the team. Believe a while before they gut punch you.
1729870548303.jpeg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I’m going to try and not be too freaked out. I thought they looked like a very high quality team up until the last two games.
The Columbus game was embarrassing as they were outworked all over the place but it was a back to back against a young team and our goalie was abysmal.
This last game was a bad one for Woll and a lot of the core really sucked but that happens a few times for every team in the course of the regular season.
The power play is not converting but both units are continuously gaining the zone with ease and getting lots of movement.
I’ve got that EvilHomer positivity today.

This team has looked extremely high end for long stretches most seasons but continue to be plagued by that low floor game where they just play terrible pickup hockey and forget all coaching. It’s a Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Rielly and Nylander problem as a group and as individuals.

Reactions: Guided by Veseys

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I hope he’s not Jake Muzzin part 2.
Both are what we need but their health track record is sketchy.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Nothing quite beats small sample sizes where an unnecessary stat distracts from the real problem (our top guys stink right now): Leafs are currently undefeated (2-0) with Reaves out of the lineup and 2-4 with him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Oh Knies definitely is not the problem on that line. There are other changes I'd make first. Just speaking about the player in isolation, I've noticed a lot of plays die on his stick. It's a tall order going up against the other teams top pairs every night, not sure he's ready. But at the same time not many other options. Sort of like Hyman in his earlier years.

Yeah Knies is a bull in a China shop and looks like he’s early days in the Hyman evolution. Power forwards need some time for it all to catch up and usually you see an offensive explosion with the good ones a little later in their 20s. It’s really up to the other two superstars to help him along, and pretty sure they don’t.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yeah Knies is a bull in a China shop and looks like he’s early days in the Hyman evolution. Power forwards need some time for it all to catch up and usually you see an offensive explosion with the good ones a little later in their 20s. It’s really up to the other two superstars to help him along, and pretty sure they don’t.
He will catch up as he gets more experience. Maybe not always on the top line right now. Manage him effectively so he grows properly. His style is built for the playoffs and we need that desperately.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The complaints about Knies on the first line are hilarious. This man is on a line with 24 million dollars in the players and Knies is the guy not good enough?

Really?

So Nylander can logically say my line mates are like a 3C and a top 9 winger.

Put Marner on the 3rd line with Tavares. Move Roberson up to Matthews line. Run 3 equal lines.
It’s not that he’s not good enough but he might be better served elsewhere. He does bobble the puck a lot.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He will catch up as he gets more experience. Maybe not always on the top line right now. Manage him effectively so he grows properly. His style is built for the playoffs and we need that desperately.

That whole top line needs to be dismantled. Matthews and Marner are too complacent together and they shouldn’t be run out as automatic Kariya and Selanne. They’re lazy, cute, complacent and doesn’t help the third wheel.

Reactions: Trapper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad