Post-Game Talk: Ladies and Gents- The Core of the Maple Leafs does it again. Leafs lose

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
I am not much of a yeller, I'm not sure I'd be a good coach... it seems to be the standard that our fanbase wants.

Thanks for the support though, I know you think I am a great hockey mind now at least.
Yes because great coaches like Punch Imlach, Scotty Bowman, Pat Burns, Joel Quenneville and Paul Maurice never yelled at their players. :rolleyes:

As for your hockey knowledge, the fact body contact and fighting in the NHL terrifies you so much, I'm guessing you've probably never even laced up a pair of skates let alone played an organized game of hockey. You should probably stick to something more your speed like Ringette, Figure Skating or Badminton. Hockey seems a little too rough for your delicate sensibilities.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yes because great coaches like Punch Imlach, Scotty Bowman, Pat Burns, Joel Quenneville and Paul Maurice never yelled at their players. :rolleyes:

As for your hockey knowledge, the fact body contact and fighting in the NHL terrifies you so much, I'm guessing you've probably never even laced up a pair of skates let alone played an organized game of hockey. You should probably stick to something more your speed like Ringette, Figure Skating or Badminton. Hockey seems a little too rough for your delicate sensibilities.

Well thought out and valid criticism, definitely not a strawman, good job.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
In a few words: Stol "The pill" Arz is our solver of the Matrix.
Dont unerestimate the effect a calm goalie has on a team. Dont think Stoolie would let in the Nylanders bad giveaway. Focus only on the shooter Wallie. A little rusty right now, so no worries .

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Pick your issue from the Berube Bowl:

• So stingy and structured through the season's first half-dozen games, over the past two Toronto has been dishing out odd-man rushes like your neighbour will be dishing out mini Snickers next week.

"We gotta fix that. That's a problem right now," Berube said, bluntly. Which is how he says most things. "We made mistakes, bottom line. Defensive mistakes."

• The Maple Leafs lost the net-front battles at both ends of the rink, a broken commandment in the Bible of Berube.

"Two games now, we're just not good enough. Pretty simple. Just light on pucks. They won battles. They won the net-front tonight. It's pretty simple," captain Auston Matthews said.

"Just a bad game all around, up and down the lineup. Starts with me."

• Following an 0-for-4 night, the talent-rich power play has tumbled to 11.1 per cent (26th league-wide), it's ineffectiveness was catalyst for the boo birds.

"They're not really seeing it right now," Berube says of a disconnected top unit that has spent more time than usual working on 5-on-4 situations in practice but has yet to get rolling.

"We just got to start attacking the net, not trying to look for the perfect play," William Nylander said.

• Over the past six periods, Matthews' top line is a shocking minus-6. And Berube let them hear about it in the wake of some casual D-zone coverage on Alex Texier's second-period strike from the slot.

"It was lazy hockey on the goal," Berube said. "That's the bottom line."

• On offence, the Leafs struggled to find the balance between shooting the puck quickly, the way their coach prefers, but not smack into the shinpads of their defenders.

Berube pointed to St. Louis's 24 blocked shots and demanded his Leafs create more movement to create cleaner shot lanes.

• Then there was straight-line defenceman Jake McCabe attempting a between-the-legs pass near Joseph Woll's crease.

"Our whole team is getting a little cute. We just gotta play direct," Berube said. "We don't need that kinda stuff."

Reactions: ZEBROA

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Pick your issue from the Berube Bowl:

• So stingy and structured through the season's first half-dozen games, over the past two Toronto has been dishing out odd-man rushes like your neighbour will be dishing out mini Snickers next week.

"We gotta fix that. That's a problem right now," Berube said, bluntly. Which is how he says most things. "We made mistakes, bottom line. Defensive mistakes."

• The Maple Leafs lost the net-front battles at both ends of the rink, a broken commandment in the Bible of Berube.

"Two games now, we're just not good enough. Pretty simple. Just light on pucks. They won battles. They won the net-front tonight. It's pretty simple," captain Auston Matthews said.

"Just a bad game all around, up and down the lineup. Starts with me."

• Following an 0-for-4 night, the talent-rich power play has tumbled to 11.1 per cent (26th league-wide), it's ineffectiveness was catalyst for the boo birds.

"They're not really seeing it right now," Berube says of a disconnected top unit that has spent more time than usual working on 5-on-4 situations in practice but has yet to get rolling.

"We just got to start attacking the net, not trying to look for the perfect play," William Nylander said.

• Over the past six periods, Matthews' top line is a shocking minus-6. And Berube let them hear about it in the wake of some casual D-zone coverage on Alex Texier's second-period strike from the slot.

"It was lazy hockey on the goal," Berube said. "That's the bottom line."

• On offence, the Leafs struggled to find the balance between shooting the puck quickly, the way their coach prefers, but not smack into the shinpads of their defenders.

Berube pointed to St. Louis's 24 blocked shots and demanded his Leafs create more movement to create cleaner shot lanes.

• Then there was straight-line defenceman Jake McCabe attempting a between-the-legs pass near Joseph Woll's crease.

"Our whole team is getting a little cute. We just gotta play direct," Berube said. "We don't need that kinda stuff."
Maybe he can swap in a fresh d man now. If 2 may as well be blowout losses won't make him put it one of Myers or Lilly, than I don't know

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
No worries. From what I've read, the regular season doesn't matter a tinker's damn anyway.

It wouldn't matter if they had the winningest coach in Leafs' history. These games just don't count.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
He's doing a good job so far, if he yells louder they may listen more
Players just shut off they dont care about a screaming coach after a while. I would pick the most gulity player.Turn him around and demand eye contact and say what is suited for that one player. Calm eye contact is the most efective. Some just need confidence, and anger would just make matters worse or do nothing at all. Some need anger to get through to.

Actions speak louder always. Benching , take of lines, less shifts, line changes, change goalie. But only if it makes the players better , not if it mess to much with the confidence.

It is a new system and they will go back to old habits, now and then. Takes some time to iron out.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Who’s coming out? Timmins and Benoit have both been quite good. I think Benoit has been on for 1 goal against and Timmins none

I don't think Benoit has been good. It's a sheltered third pair in terms of competition so it's natural that he won't have that many goals against. I wouldn't mind sitting him for a game to see if Myers shows something.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Literally let both Marner and Tavares walk in the off-season. That’s the only way this core is going to change. It’s been years of this crap, not just 8 games. I have extreme doubts that this will look different come playoff time.
Literally my only hope for this joke of a franchise. But them being such a joke means that they won't do this and will happily overpay to keep them both here instead and keep running it back expecting a miracle to change something 😭

Once again this group shows you how unlike able they all are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad