Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Part of the logic behind trading Chychrun to Ottawa, was that the Senator's 1st round pick is more valuable because it will be higher up in the draft.

But Ottawa is red hot, and now they're only a few points out of a playoff spot. Would be funny if they made the playoffs and even won a round dropping the pick to the back half of the 1st round.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Part of the logic behind trading Chychrun to Ottawa, was that the Senator's 1st round pick is more valuable because it will be higher up in the draft.

But Ottawa is red hot, and now they're only a few points out of a playoff spot. Would be funny if they made the playoffs and even won a round dropping the pick to the back half of the 1st round.
If Ottawa makes it to the ECF, I think Arizona gets another pick.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I think it is amusing that right after the last game Rosen posted that Durzi was scared of being traded and the Kings have no intention of trading him:

From what Forum Report had heard from both inside and outside the organization, the LA Kings had little interest in trading Sean Durzi. Teams trading right-shot defensemen in their 23-year-old season who lead their blue line in goals and points per 60 minutes of five-on-five play better have a good reason to do so.

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
I think it is amusing that right after the last game Rosen posted that Durzi was scared of being traded and the Kings have no intention of trading him:

As someone who's been pretty harsh on Durzi, I can admit that, just as Gavrikov will be better with us than he was with 'Lumbus, because he'll be a paired with a reliable partner on the second pairing of a good team, Durzi can very much contribute more by playing fewer ES minutes, starting more in the O-zone, on the 3rd pair, on his stronger hand. Deserves a better partner than Edler though. Wish T-Mac gave Toby more of a shot. I think Bjornfot looked pretty solid recently.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
So what’s our best full lineup right now?

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Fiala - Lizotte - Vilardi
Iafallo - Kupari - Kaliyev
JAD, MacEwen

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Roy
Durzi - Walker
Edler

Korpisalo
Copley

The biggest weaknesses right now for me are Kupari and Kaliyev on the fourth line, Lizotte punching above his weight class on the third line, and Durzi on the third pair. Not sure how to remedy these issues.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020

The problem is that there is no place to play all these young RHD. In a vacuum, i'd love to keep Durzi (employed correctly on the PP, not on PK, 3rd line, not in late up 1 or tied, etc.). Same with wanting to keep Spence, Clarke and Roy (not to mention Grans). But with DD not going anywhere for a couple more years, someone HAS to go....not just one but two. It's like the old 49ers having to trade Montana because they had Young sitting doing nothing on the bench.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
The problem is that there is no place to play all these young RHD. In a vacuum, i'd love to keep Durzi (employed correctly on the PP, not on PK, 3rd line, not in late up 1 or tied, etc.). Same with wanting to keep Spence, Clarke and Roy (not to mention Grans). But with DD not going anywhere for a couple more years, someone HAS to go....not just one but two. It's like the old 49ers having to trade Montana because they had Young sitting doing nothing on the bench.
I vote Walker, Edler, and Durzi off the island.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Don't be ridiculous, they'll just keep Clarke in the AHL because they can.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
did anybody check the numbers (that aren't meant for single game evaluation anyway but were used for the first game so whats good for the goose etc etc etc) for that Edler/Durzi pair in the Caps game?

Cus I think they were pretty pretty pretty good

Reactions: LAKings88 and Telos

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
So what’s our best full lineup right now?

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Fiala - Lizotte - Vilardi
Iafallo - Kupari - Kaliyev
JAD, MacEwen

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Roy
Durzi - Walker
Edler

Korpisalo
Copley

The biggest weaknesses right now for me are Kupari and Kaliyev on the fourth line, Lizotte punching above his weight class on the third line, and Durzi on the third pair. Not sure how to remedy these issues.
Drop Lizotte to 4C and rotate JAD/Kupari at 3C based on play? Kupari has had flashes, but I'm more comfortable with JAD's play this year.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
did anybody check the numbers (that aren't meant for single game evaluation anyway but were used for the first game so whats good for the goose etc etc etc) for that Edler/Durzi pair in the Caps game?

Cus I think they were pretty pretty pretty good

I think both are really great guys and aren't absolutely horrible or anything. Edler looks a little ridiculous on the offensive end, but he is a tough tall guy with loads of experience and defensive smarts who can keep the puck out of the net if speed doesn't become a factor. Durzi has decent offensive instincts and at least used to have a feisty bite at standing up to opponents, but he is a bit soft on the defensive end, finds himself often out of position or out-skilled, and is now finding himself getting literally rag-dolled around the rink in Lizotte fashion.

I am fine with Edler being the #7 getting stepping in here or there and obviously, Durzi isn't going anywhere until the draft, next season, or they remarkably keep him; however, as an armchair GM, I think the only reason Spence, Clarke, and company aren't better options right now is that the Kings literally won't allow them to be.

Of course, the real world isn't a computer game where you just move names around until you get the highest overall rating of players. Coaches have to take into account a much more complex calculation of leadership, chemistry, locker room politics/morale, and individual abilities versus counters available to the opposition and vice versa. However, as time goes on, watching prospects exceed expectations deserving of their chance for so long buried without a cup of coffee, it becomes harder to tolerate the mistakes of those one step above them that they refuse to sit for a game or two to get another look because of status and relationships.

A current example playing out now is despite launching Quick into the sun they are very cautious of Copeley's feelings and what he's done with the organization and not wanting to label Korpi the #1 and keep going as if there are two #1's until the postseason. We all understand the song and dance. We just want to see the same applied throughout the rest of the lineup and not just the goaltending position.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Elder won’t be resigned and Walker will be traded in the off-season or waived prior to the start of next season. Durzi is an RFA so all he needs is a QO. If he doesn’t sign it then we can toss in the wind for a bit.

Reactions: kinghock

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Gavrikov has been better than advertised but probably more so in the sense of stepping in seamlessly so quickly v. what his best game looks like.

Nobody could argue they were a better team after the trade. The issue is how many games of this particular better team is that 1st round pick going to buy? If Gavrikov keeps playing like this and then has a stellar playoffs then he's getting a big pay day.

I see Sekera comps and I get it: we were pretty sure there was no way DL could sign him unless he took a discount. The boys are going to need to make this guy fall in love with Manhattan Beach in a hurry here.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Elder won’t be resigned and Walker will be traded in the off-season or waived prior to the start of next season. Durzi is an RFA so all he needs is a QO. If he doesn’t sign it then we can toss in the wind for a bit.
Agreed, for the most part, none of this matters outside of if this going to cost us anything in the postseason or with the prospects being put on hold. The defensive logjam will work itself out inevitably unless something drastic happens by Blake. Edler is as good as gone, Walker will likely not survive next season and certainly beyond next season, and Durzi's stock is falling to either be a 5-6 or trade bait. Hopefully, he is dealt while his value is still lucrative.

The logjam craziness mostly lies with the forwards and watching how that will play out.

Last edited:
Reactions: TruKingFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad