Rumor: Kypreos: Regier on hot seat; well, not really, nothing imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karate Johnson*

Maybe they should let Kypreos run the team?

It's hilarious they would bring up thier failure to move Miller like that.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
If Darcy is fired, could we keep him in within the organisation as a "trader"? Like, the new GM could keep him in a cage only to let him out at trade time. "We want this and good value from that, get it done!" ;)

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If Darcy is fired, could we keep him in within the organisation as a "trader"? Like, the new GM could keep him in a cage only to let him out at trade time. "We want this and good value from that, get it done!" ;)

Kevin O. thinks the Sabres may be reassigning Regier. That wouldn't surprise me, especially when considering Terry's "family" approach to running a business. I wouldnt be shocked if he was given a title like VP of Hockey Operations. That would put fresh eyes in the GM chair and allow Darcy to stick around.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Kevin O. thinks the Sabres may be reassigning Regier. That wouldn't surprise me, especially when considering Terry's "family" approach to running a business. I wouldnt be shocked if he was given a title like VP of Hockey Operations. That would put fresh eyes in the GM chair and allow Darcy to stick around.

This would make more sense on the timing.

Karate Johnson*

I have always been of the opinion that Darcy would be a great piece of the puzzle, but he isn't the guy to have final say. I don't think he's aggressive enough or has the balls to make tough decisions when they need to be made.

As a guy in an advisory role he'd be perfect.... He would work well in a group. He can focus on his strengths but not have final say, keeping his weakness in check.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It means that they don't have faith that he can pull it off. Watching this bunch you can't really argue that he can.

Judging the rebuild on what you see on the ice today is like judging a cake merely on the broken eggs.

It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too soon to judge this rebuild.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
You could keep going back to each milestone with this logic (last year's trade deadline, the year before last's draft), the point is if they want a new GM, why wait? This is really the best time to do it, the GM doesn't have to really make any moves until the trade deadline.

If this is all true I just want Pegula to guarantee a new GM sufficient time (barring being found out as a child murderer or something worse, like trading Zemgus for a 6th round pick) to build the team, and that he doesn't want shortsighted moves to win now. If a GM comes in and wants a quick fix approach, then the timing is terrible.

The best time was 10/20/2012.

If they gas him now, it reeks of pandering to the fans. What happens when this team is worse next season? Fire the GM and coach again?

:help:

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
The best time was 10/20/2012.

If they gas him now, it reeks of pandering to the fans. What happens when this team is worse next season? Fire the GM and coach again?

:help:

While true, any move is going to have the pandering to the fans feeling. Even with the Ruff firing, it felt as though the fans had a say in it.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
The Sabres' denial only adds interest to the story, and really means nothing.

Either this will gain momentum and lead to something soon, or Kypreos is just full of you know what.

I think the latter is the likely outcome here. Wonder why he said that.

Also, watch the video again. Scott Morrison is much less emphatic than Kypreos and says something like "if he is let go" referring to Darcy.

I think the Sportsnet guys are full of crap.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
So the organization approved a rebuild, and then 8 games into the rebuild they change their minds?

Am I taking crazy pills or something? Did nobody pay attention in the offseason? This is exactly what was expected, and it's exactly what Darcy said would happen.

Karate Johnson*

If Darcy is let go or repostitioned in the organization is won't have anything to do with wins and losses this season.

It will be because of the half assed pathetic "coaching search"

It will be the failure of the coach to develop the young players to the liking of the organization.

It will be Darcy not making a move with Vanek and Miller. Perhaps moves were on the table an Darcy didn't pull the trigger, now they are off the table and with the likelihood of either resigning shrinking every day perhaps they are finally realizing Darcy's biggest shortcoming.... The inability to be decisive and act quickly.

It could come from Darcy as well... Perhaps the blueprint they have given him isn't something he feels he can work under, so he might have a move within the organization lined up and is just waiting until his successor is identified?

Personally, if Darcy is removed as GM, I believe it will be a mutual agreement. He knows he's going to be a part of the Sabres front office, and he's just the GM until the next GM is brought in.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Dreger and Kypreos have each used Christmas as a tipping point when talking Sabres recently. Dreger said "the Buffalo Sabres were hoping to wait until at least Christmas before they could assess...", while Kypreos stated "in a perfect world, the ownership group in Buffalo would have rather waited until Christmas..."

Oh, and Botterill and Dudley were both in attendance at our last home game, so rumor. :sarcasm:

Oklobzija's tweet was: "If #Sabres do hire Tom Fitzgerald as GM, Darcy Regier perhaps willingly moving aside, staying in some role & will have had input on choice."

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As much as they should've cleaned house at purchase or more recently last season, this does not make sense now. Yes, I get that people are upset at Regier for the on-ice product, lack of movement with his key pending UFA's, and the "exhaustive" search for a coach that involved one whole person. But fan discontent is not the same as ownership shifting the sails now.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
As much as they should've cleaned house at purchase or more recently last season, this does not make sense now. Yes, I get that people are upset at Regier for the on-ice product, lack of movement with his key pending UFA's, and the "exhaustive" search for a coach that involved one whole person. But fan discontent is not the same as ownership shifting the sails now.

Everytime I am reminded of that "farce" of a coaching search I want to break stuff. Especially when you see what Roy is doing with that team in Colorado. I've defended Darcy quite a bit but not even attempting to look at other coaches and just hiring a guy who has never been a head coach in the league is a fireable offense.

Still, doing this now just reeks of panic and a lack of foresight.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
While true, any move is going to have the pandering to the fans feeling. Even with the Ruff firing, it felt as though the fans had a say in it.

I didn't feel like the fans had a huge part in Ruff getting let go.

In fact, plenty of fans blamed Regier far more than Ruff for what was happening.

SamsonReinFart

Mar 15, 2011
Buffalo, NY
This makes no sense to me. And I hate that the other 35 people I work with are so excited about this.

"Yeah, now they can move one of our 10 defensemen, get a guy like Bobby Ryan in here and hopefully still make the playoffs. It's not too late"

I just don't understand. I can get that people want a different guy to assess talent and make decisions, but what's happening right now, in my opinion, gives us the best possible chance at a cup.

Sure, a ton more things have to happen, luck, smart drafting (even in the top-3), and correct use of assets. The time to fire Darcy would be in 2 years, when the defensive pipe-line is maturing, and hopefully our young forwards, supplemented by 2 more high picks are starting to produce. Then we get a fresh set of eyes to make those moves that get us into contention and a new coach that understands what he's doing.

Am I that off with all of this? What's a new GM going to do besides come in here, muck everything up, and push for that whole sneak in or just miss a playoff spot thing that we love doing.

If the situation is that Darcy is staying on staff, but we're getting a new GM, then I can be fine with it. That means (hopefully) that the rebuild is still happening the right way.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I have to say, the Pittsburg/Amerks/Sabres connection of Jason Botterill makes it seem plausible. But I guess that's the type of thing that gives rumors legs...

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Everytime I am reminded of that "farce" of a coaching search I want to break stuff. Especially when you see what Roy is doing with that team in Colorado. I've defended Darcy quite a bit but not even attempting to look at other coaches and just hiring a guy who has never been a head coach in the league is a fireable offense.

Still, doing this now just reeks of panic and a lack of foresight.

I hated that they didn't conduct a coaching search, as well, but can we all leave Patrick Roy's name out of this? He was never going to coach the Sabres. The Avs make a lot more sense for Roy for a ton of reasons.

Karate Johnson*

This makes no sense to me. And I hate that the other 35 people I work with are so excited about this.

"Yeah, now they can move one of our 10 defensemen, get a guy like Bobby Ryan in here and hopefully still make the playoffs. It's not too late"

I just don't understand. I can get that people want a different guy to assess talent and make decisions, but what's happening right now, in my opinion, gives us the best possible chance at a cup.

Sure, a ton more things have to happen, luck, smart drafting (even in the top-3), and correct use of assets. The time to fire Darcy would be in 2 years, when the defensive pipe-line is maturing, and hopefully our young forwards, supplemented by 2 more high picks are starting to produce. Then we get a fresh set of eyes to make those moves that get us into contention and a new coach that understands what he's doing.

Am I that off with all of this? What's a new GM going to do besides come in here, muck everything up, and push for that whole sneak in or just miss a playoff spot thing that we love doing.

If the situation is that Darcy is staying on staff, but we're getting a new GM, then I can be fine with it. That means (hopefully) that the rebuild is still happening the right way.

There is zero chance of this team making the playoffs.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
There is zero chance of this team making the playoffs.

Then why replace Regier about a year into a rebuild?

The impatient fans that are clamoring for heads are complaining about the W/L record. What happens if a new GM is hired, he waits until the deadline, trades away Miller, Vanek, and Ott, and this team gets worse.

He drafts a few good prospects and then what next summer? Sign more UFAs like Leino & Ehrhoff and the team is slightly better but not a playoff team?

If they hire a new GM, I hope they still have the patience to wait through a proper rebuild.

Karate Johnson*

Then why replace Regier about a year into a rebuild?

The impatient fans that are clamoring for heads are complaining about the W/L record. What happens if a new GM is hired, he waits until the deadline, trades away Miller, Vanek, and Ott, and this team gets worse.

He drafts a few good prospects and then what next summer? Sign more UFAs like Leino & Ehrhoff and the team is slightly better but not a playoff team?

If they hire a new GM, I hope they still have the patience to wait through a proper rebuild.

There is no right or wrong time to get rid of a GM who isn't the future. There will always be a reason why there isn't a good time.

It's not overly complicated. Just ask themselves "Is Darcy the GM next year? The year after?" I not then just move on.

The rebuild is already committed to. We are awful, and a new GM isn't gonna ride into town with 7 year deals for Vanek and Miller.... A new GM is inheriting a rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad